UGH constipated

Options
dawnemjh
dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
I havent gone in 3 days and the more time that goes by, the more worried I get. I am 9.5 wks preggers and not sure what to do. I eat lots of fiber, and plenty of liquids....How long should I wait before I need to take something more than fiber????

Replies

• ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    O wow...3 days! While I've had constipation issues (especially in the 1st tri) with all 3 of mine, I've never gone 3 whole days. If you're already drinking plenty of water & eating lots of fiber, the only thing I would suggest is make sure you're getting in some exercise even if it's just a walk. Drinking a cup of coffee, hot chocolate or hot tea usually works for me. Other than that I would put a call into my Dr's office see what the nurse suggests. You don't want to wait too long and get more backed up. Good luck, hope you get that taken care of soon!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    thanks! I workout out everyday aleady, running and walking at least 30 min. I cant do coffee or tea anything like that cause it makes me sick :(
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would call your doctor and see if it's okay to take a stool softener like colace or something like that. Chances are there is something you can take to make you feel less miserable.

I hope you are able to... GO soon.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The thing that has helped me the most is activia.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Drink prune juice!! If you get really desperate, metamucil is also safe to take.
    I was super constipated in the first trimester and would go 5-7 days without a bowel movement. I'm still constipated in my 3rd trimester now (but not as bad) and only go about once every 3-4 days.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    This happened to my sister early in her second pregnancy, and our OB's office told her to just give herself an enema. :sick:

Since that was not exactly a pleasant prospect, she bought some prunes and ate two. Within a couple of hours, she had "gone." It wasn't easy, but she was cleared out.

(Yes, my sister and I talk about these things. I know, we're weird.)

Prunes usually do it for me, and I think they taste good! I would prefer to eat the actual fruit than have the juice.
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    THIS WORKS I PROMISE!!

Grind up 1-2 tablespoons of linseed (also known as flax or flaxseed) and add to whatever you are eating. Drink an extra glass of water when you are eating them (the water helps the seeds swell in the intestines which then acts as roughage.

IMPORTANT!!! This is a natural laxative so work your way up to 2 tablespoons!! and they must be fresh and then ground (whole ones do not have much affect!) and REMEMBER the water!!!! the extra water as you are eating it make it swell which is what you want to happen.

In my first trimester I would add a tablespoon to my yoghurt, or pasta or salad... they don't really have any flavor, so can literally be added to anything!

Hope that helps :-)
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Prunes, prune juice, pear juice, Fiber One bars (also really love Trader Joe's Fiberful bars, if you have a TJ's near you), coffee...usually a combination of two or three of these things over the course of a day will work for me.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is probably TMI, but invest in a children's step stool to store in your bathroom too..... So you're in a squat position, rather than feet dangling. Positioning is very important and movement, if you're someone who doesn't respond to the other interventions mentioned on their own.

Here's a video on it; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3r3J3mIegI&sns=em
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    So, just my two cents, but 3 days isn't that bad. From everything I've read (because I had a similar issue in my second tri), "normal" is considered once at least every 4 days. If you go more than that, great! If you've gone 5+ days w/o a BM that's when you've got to bring on everything else. And if you recently changed your diet, that can affect your BM too.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Prune juice and grapes. Maybe not at the same time. And maybe just the grapes. Prune juice isn't the yummiest thing in the world - I can't stand the taste at this point. Grapes, however, will never not be yummy. And if you eat enough of them your constipation will be a thing of the past. Plus, they're good for you.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is probably TMI, but invest in a children's step stool to store in your bathroom too..... So you're in a squat position, rather than feet dangling. Positioning is very important and movement, if you're someone who doesn't respond to the other interventions mentioned on their own.

I was just reading something yesterday that I found randomly about how we are "engineered" to squat to poop, and sitting on a toilet actually makes it harder to do so. My feet don't dangle off my toilet, but I can appreciate that the step stool would help matters.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options

I was just reading something yesterday that I found randomly about how we are "engineered" to squat to poop, and sitting on a toilet actually makes it harder to do so. My feet don't dangle off my toilet, but I can appreciate that the step stool would help matters.

Exactly Rebecca! I have IBS, but I don't take medication anymore (probably need to address that).

After you haven't gone in over a week you start researching the topic like you're writing your dissertation!