preparing for boot camp

Options
For those of you that have not DEP'ed in yet are you learning your information for boot camp yet? I have memorized the sailors creed, rank and recognition and the 11 general orders.... mostly because I helped my husband learn them when he was in DEP but I keep refreshing myself as not to forget them. I also know time and the alphabet and some of the "vocabulary" , its a kinda easy for me to pick this stuff up as I live with a sailor and it rubs off a bit...lol. I have a start guide from when I almost joined in 02 that I read over now and then too. I know its a bit outdated but I think most of the info is still accurate, my husband never got one, if he did Id use his.....

To those of you that are in, what are some of the things you would recommend we know before we go?

I really want to pass the DEP test and first PRT thing in boot so I can advance. But I am not sure how that works. I have enough college credits to be an E2 upon graduating boot and I am hoping passing the DEP test and PRT will put me at E3 but I dont think it works like that, can anyone explain how this works?

We also go shooting alot. It is something we enjoy doing (and its a great stress reliever! lol) My husband has taught me "the navy stance" they make you shoot in at boot. It is super awkward shooting like that once you are use to a regular stance but I really want to get expert or sharp shooter!

So anyway... other than losing the weight and getting fit to get in are you doing any other preparations? Or are you waiting to do it after being in DEP?

Replies

• chrisxxii
    Options
    The Current Navy start guide is online in PDF you can look at it here
    http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/graphic-elements/PDFs/start_guide.pdf
  • hrls83
    hrls83 Posts: 46
    Options
    thanks!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd say if you know the orders, rank structure, and creed already you're fine. Boot camp consists of large amounts of time just sitting quietly and studying. The thing to focus on is the run, push ups, and sit ups. When you go in no one cares if you are 20 or 30, you're still a boot and if you are slower than the 20 year olds they aren't understanding about it. Biggest piece of advice; focus on physical fitness.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've just been working out, memorizing the sailor's creed and 11 general orders in addition to reading the Blue Jacket's Manual to prepare me for boot camp... I'm on my second read through of the BJM but have read the first few chapters 3-4 times (mainly because I read the chapters aloud and copied them so I could listen to it as a refresher down the road) :ohwell:
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Well only you know if your run etc. Is within the time needed to pass.