I really want General Tso's Chicken :)

Options
pstansel74
pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
So I've been good... but the one thing that honestly has almost broken me is General Tso's Chicken. Yes, it is awful for me. But god it smelled sooooo good. So I really want to find a Vegan way to make it. I know I will never get an exact duplicate, but I want to come as close as possible :) So anyone got a good one for me?

Replies

• jdbengtson
    Options
    I bet you could make a good version with tofu or seitan!
  • cookiemahnster
    cookiemahnster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've had this recipe pinned for a while but haven't tried it out yet - might do it??? The reviews look pretty good.

http://vegweb.com/recipes/general-taos-tofu
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I've had this recipe pinned for a while but haven't tried it out yet - might do it??? The reviews look pretty good.

http://vegweb.com/recipes/general-taos-tofu
    I have to try this recipe tomorrow since I have all the ingredients.
  • pstansel74
    Options
    Going to hopefully make tonight!
  • cookiemahnster
    Options
    Yay! Report back if you do!
  • KarCrib
    KarCrib Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make this with Tofu... it is awesome ;)
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Maybe I will try this later in the week :)
  • pstansel74
    Options
    Made it :) Have to say I liked it... sauce isn't quite right, but it was good. Important to make sure you cook the tofu enough to be crispy.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Mmm, crispy tofu...

Is it sticky and gooey like real General Tso's?
  • cookiemahnster
    Options
    Yay, glad you liked it! I don't think I even know what the "non-vegan" dish tastes like, but I still want to try this version!
  • pstansel74
    Options
    Mmm, crispy tofu...

Is it sticky and gooey like real General Tso's?

A bit... the sauce is the one thing I wish we had made spicier somehow. It is nice and starchy though :)
  • vegan_virgo
    Options
    My hubs and I get general tso's tofu from the chinese place here. We asked and it is vegan! Just as good!
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    One of my local Chinese take out places has General Tso's tofu. Out of like 20 Chinese places in my town this is the only place that makes it. I was eating it a lot, too much actually, that I kind of got tired of it. Check menus of your local places. If they serve veg options it's under Vegetables or Bean Curd section. I mean, it's going to be loaded with sodium and fat, but if it hits the spot and you don't want to make it then maybe you can find a place that sells it!
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Find a small Chinese restaurant, I've had excellent luck getting them to make any dish with Tofu instead of meat. It's not exactly healthy, but for a treat it's fine :) We had one next to my old house who made us a standard order of Cashew Tofu, Vegan Hot and Sour Soup, Kung Pao Tofu, and vegetable chow mein. It was awesome!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I had Gen. Tso Tofu last week from a local Chinese takeout, it was pretty good.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    the chinese restaurant near my work makes a general tso's tvp dish! it's yummy and i swear it tastes like chicken. it freaks me out. i tried to return it once because i thought it was actual chicken.