false LH surge??

Options
erika613
erika613 Posts: 27 Member
I finally -- after 3 years -- got a positive OPK! I also happened to have an appointment today to check my ovaries to see if I was producing an egg, but the dildocam said that there was nothing going on in my ovaries. I mentioned the positive OPK result to my reproductive endocrinologist, so she took blood and said that it was a "false LH surge."

Has this ever happened to anyone? I am still happy that my brain is finally producing LH even if my ovaries are being stubborn and not listening. But wondering what others' experiences are. Did you have a "real" surge later in the same cycle? Were your eggs just slow to "wake up"?

This is my first cycle off of BCPs. I had to take the temporarily while I lost weight to get my PCOS and polyps under control. Could that be it?

Thanks! Sending good thoughts to you all.

Replies

• mrsburton8909
    Options
    Hi, i know on bcp when coming off of them your body sometimes sends mixed signals, also i found out that no matter when u use opk it will always have a posistvie becus we naturally produce LH so you have to make sure that positive is as dark as the control line. Idk if that helped :) good luck with your ttc journey
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I've never used OPK but my understanding is that our bodies get all ready to release eggs but that's where the process stops. So I've heard that we tend to make the hormones leading up to ovulation (including LH) but then, nothing. Might be wrong though, there's a lot of misinformation out there.
  • erika613
    erika613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies! I was using the digital kits because the other ones always confused me! (couldn't tell if it was *really* darker or just my eyes playing tricks on me). The only other pos OPK I got was during my first failed round of clomid, so I'm going to look on the bright side and say that at least I finally have one pos, even if it's not the BFP.

A follow-up dildocam showed that I am still not ovulating. :( So, my RE thinks that I'll have to try clomid or some other drug again. But, I want to wait one more cycle to see if my body straightens itself out! In the last 6 months, I've lost over 65 lbs, had 2 polypectomies and started/stopped bcps. My reproductive system has been through a lot and I wonder if it just needs a few weeks to settle down.
  • Noradun
    Noradun Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Women with PCOS can have multiple positive OPKs due to surges in LH, but ovulation often times doesn't actually occur. It is possible also to have it happen a few times, but then you do eventually ovulate. But if they didn't see any follicles I would say that probably isn't the case. It may be possible you had already ovulated prior to the scan. If that is possible you could go in in 7 days to have your progesterone checked to confirm. Good Luck