Foot drop anyone??

Options
Ksc1269
Ksc1269 Posts: 19 Member
About 2 years ago I had a really bad exacerbation. My right leg stopped working. It works now, but my foot drops and makes me trip when I'm walking. I guess that I'm trying to get over my pitty party!! My neuro prescribed some kind of device that is supposed to help me walk and I get it tomorrow. I've spent the last week trying not to get excited about being able to walk 'normally' again. Who knows? Maybe it will work. My husband doesn't seem to think that it will help me.
Has anyone here had this trouble? Walking and hiking are my favorite things to do.

Replies

• CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't but I have met a few people at various MS gatherings that had issues and found the devices helpful. I hope it helps you too! Good luck!
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I had that issue when I was first diagnosed 10 yrs ago. Did IV Methylprednisone 3 days a month for 6 months along with physical therapy that and time helped and it eventually went away. I have some friends who have it, some wear an AFO braces and some just deal with it. I know a few people who take Ampyra for help walking better.
  • Ksc1269
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I tried Ampyra. It didn't work at all. I've also tried weeks of PT and discovered that it is an old lesion that is causing the trouble. It is just very discouraging to not be able to walk for more than 10 minutes without tripping! But, maybe the device will help! I can only hope :smile:
    I go to get it fitted this afternoon and will keep you all posted. Thanks for the support and comments!! Have a wonderful day everyone!!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    That was my primary symptom when I was first diagnosed 13 years ago. After the first hospitalization and round of IV steroids it went away and I haven't seen that symptom in subsequent exacerbations.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have foot drop the way you described it. I have noticed when I'm really fatigued that my left foot sort of slides along the ground and I have to concentrate on lifting it up and walking correctly. I have "old lesions" on my spine too. I'm interested to hear about this device you're getting.
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone personally who has tried this, but it is in all the MS and Neurology magazines and literature. It looks like something I would try if I ever had an issue with foot drop again.

http://www.walkaide.com/en-US/Pages/default.aspx
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I trip constantly. LOL I just tell people I'm clumsy. I don't know if I have foot drop or not. My neuro is kind of hands off. MEANING I haven't seen him in over a year. When I'm tired I can really tell because the sound of my walking isn't rythmic it is more like a gallop. LOL Instead of rolling from heel to toe, it just slaps down on the ground. I haven't tried the device, but chin up, I'm sure you'll get some type of relief!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Ksc1269
    Options
    That's what I have! No fun at all. Well, the new device has now been tested. My husband and I took the dogs for a walk. I was able to keep up with him for much longer than usual without my foot dragging/dropping.
    It is not a miracle cure, but a bit of an improvement. I have to go for another MRI on Friday, so we'll see. A new drug may be in my future. The Copaxone might not be working.
  • Ksc1269
    Options
    This is what happens when I'm really tired or stressed. I'm sorry that you have it too. I wouldn't wish this on anyone!!
    Thanks for your reply!! I really appreciate the support. No one knows what it's like unless they have gone through it.
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i also have a foot drop when i am tired, a few years ago i was walking 5 miles a day until i hit the road with my hands bracing my fall(really not a way to catch yourself) and my face. my brother wants me to walk with my cane(it has not seen sunlight in years) but i refuse. i hope to start walking after this cold weather breaks. i miss the calmness and peace of a great walk. i also was prescibed therappy a short time for it. its not a fun thing to go thru, i hope the brace does well for you
  • lovisab
    Options
    I had this problem after an exacerbation 4 years ago, I still get it a tiny bit when tired but it is not very noticable. I purchased a cross trainer and use it every day, it has been the best piece of rehabilitation equipment I have. No matter which part of me is not working it helps to make it move, the muscles become stronger, and in return my body recovers much better than with just physiotherapy. I found this to be the case with foot drop as well, by using the cross trainer my leg and ankle muscles became stronger and more flexible. I was able to help my body learn how to reuse the muscles and motions.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    i also have a foot drop when i am tired, a few years ago i was walking 5 miles a day until i hit the road with my hands bracing my fall(really not a way to catch yourself) and my face. my brother wants me to walk with my cane(it has not seen sunlight in years) but i refuse. i hope to start walking after this cold weather breaks. i miss the calmness and peace of a great walk. i also was prescibed therappy a short time for it. its not a fun thing to go thru, i hope the brace does well for you

I have a cane as well - it is very comfortable in the back of closet. I somehow feel like if I use it I'm giving in. :laugh:
  • canepafam
    Options
    What is the device called? Do you yhink you could run with it?
  • Ksc1269
    Options
    Hi,
    No, you can't run with it. Well, at least I don't think so. I haven't tried.
    My MS got worse the last few weeks - that's why I haven't been on MFP. I had to do
    a 3 day steroid drip and now am on the taper for 12 days.
    If you want me to get you the name of the foot thing, please let me know. I'll get it out
    of my hiking boots and look :)
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    No, you can't run with it. Well, at least I don't think so. I haven't tried.
    My MS got worse the last few weeks - that's why I haven't been on MFP. I had to do
    a 3 day steroid drip and now am on the taper for 12 days.
    If you want me to get you the name of the foot thing, please let me know. I'll get it out
    of my hiking boots and look :)

can't help but wonder if its solu-medrol? I have not taken that course of treatment for 11 years. before that i was taking it quite a bit. I hope all goes well for you :flowerforyou:
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi, this is my first post in this forum - I'm newly diagnosed. Foot drop on my right side was the first symptom I had. I've gone through periods of complete recovery, but weakness comes back periodically and, during an attack (which, fortunately, only happens about once per year and is fairly mild, all things considered) my foot drops again. Not for exercise, obviously, but one thing I've found helpful is switching from flats, oxfords, etc, to midcalf boots. The support of the shoe shaft helps to keep me on balance a bit. I clomp around a fair amount still (that isn't going to change, likely!), but the extra ankle support helps me to feel more stable.
  • lettucemunc
    lettucemunc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I have the foot drop. I try to jog and really concentrate on how my feet hit the ground and how I pick them up. After a short while, no matter how hard I try I can't pick that foot up, so I end up just walking. Even then I still trip and have a hard time picking up that foot. I guess I just follow two mantras. "Do your best and forget the rest" and "Don't let what you can't do, get in the way of what you can do"
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I Also have foot drop & I have a brace that goes under my foot & up the back of my calf & velcros in the front. It helps me from tripping over my foot all the time but if i am doing alot of walking (like when we went to Disney World) I have to wear a leg warmer over my leg or the brace causes chafing & sores