Tall, morbidly obese and in need of support!!!

Options
Hello ladies,

My name is Veronica and I have been struggling to lose weight for a long time. I have been morbidly obese for about 17 years:embarassed: I was in denial for about 10 of those years. People was always telling me that I wear my weight well, so something inside of me was ok with my weight. I never had a problem with my health due to being overweight until these last 5 months. I was having problem getting from point A to point B without sharp pains shooting in my back and having really bad knee problems. I fell about 4 months ago and things began to spin out of control. I was diagnosed with (very) High Blood Pressure (188/94). I am now taking bp meds, which makes me feel like crap:explode: I just had surgery on December 4th for fibroids that was extremely painful and now I just spent 6 hours in the ER (today) for Gallbladder issues. I am going to the surgeon on Thursday to talk of having it removed!

17 years ago, I weighed 150 lbs at 5'11" tall. Everyone thought that I was so tiny. Well, I am not expecting to get back to that weight. I just need to get to a healthy weight, get into shape and stay there. I have support at home, but I spend most of my time online seeking that someone that knows exactly what I am going through. Someone who can relate. Everyone in my household is a normal weight. I have been on a constant roller coaster. Before the last 5 months, I was focused on losing weight for the vanity of it. Or to fit on a ride at an amusement park. Now I have to lose weight or as my doctors put it, 'If you don't lose this weight, you will be dead in 5 years'. Wow:noway: Not me?!?!?! I knew all of this, but now that my health is an issue, I have to do this to stay alive:cry:

I want to get started before the New Year because every year I have a new year's resolution and within 2 months, I am done. So, I have decided to get started earlier, especially now that It is to save my life. I am hoping to know more about my surgery on Thursday. After my visit to the ER today, I was told that until I get my gallbladder removed, I will continue to have severe pain, especially after I eat so I have to stay away from fatty foods, spicy food (my favorite) and dairy. So this is a start. Although I am unable to exercise right now until further notice, I can focus on my food intake. Hopefully the surgery will be soon, so that I can start walking and advancing to more intense workouts. I love to workout (yeah, sounds crazy for an obese woman), but I hate focusing on my food intake (counting calories). I have a cousin who is clean eating and she is going to help me in that area. I have magazines on clean eating and I joined some of the clean eating communities, so hopefully this will get me excited about it as much as I love to exercise!

I know that most of the ladies on here are a lot smaller than I am and maybe some won't be able to relate to my size (343 lbs:indifferent: ), but all I am asking for is some encouraging words and some new friends.

Thanks,
Veronica

Replies

• Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I can relate! My highest weight was 338.4. I'm happy to be your friend! I'll send you an invite.
  • ktaqt3399
    ktaqt3399 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    me 2 i started at 334 at 511 sending you a request
  • trishajo82
    trishajo82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey Veronica!

Welcome to MFP... I am so sorry to hear of the health issues you've been having - life is tough enough let alone when you add all that extra stress and worry on top of it all.

There are some really great people on here that are dedicated to a healthy lifestyle and have helped me tremendously in staying positive and motivated throughout my weight loss journey.

You mention how you don't like to monitor your intake - well MFP is a GREAT way to start getting into the habit of logging all you eat. Have you downloaded the app on your phone yet? It's SUPER handy, especially while on the go for logging. I NEVER logged calories/intake prior to joining MFP. Now that I am further on in my WL, I don't log anymore, just because I have become so educated on the nutrition content in foods and what my body needs to get to where I want to be. But I logged religiously for at LEAST 6 months prior to the last 3 months or so. And it's SO worth it. Make a point of it! It wil become a habit quickly! I joked with my friend, "if I lick a chip, I log it!" -- and while slightly dramatic - it really wasn't far off from what I made sure to log! Every little bit counts.

Nutrition is half (or sometimes MORE than half) the battle - while exercise takes up the rest of the slack.

My highest weight was 365 - I am down to 245 currently - with another 45 lbs or so to go until my ultimate goal. I am 6'2".

Feel free to add me - and I wish you luck on your journey!!! We are all here rooting you on! :smile: :smile:
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was a bit smaller (5'11" and 260+) but let's be friends anyway!

Definitely start monitor what you eat. My mom was a stay at home mom, so most of my meals were made from scratch daily, and low in fat/salt/etc. But I ate such huge portions, I've always been overweight!

The real world was no different. I would generally eat pretty good food... but so much of it! And when free food appeared at work, or whatever, well, it's free, so I'd best eat a lot of it!

Logging on MFP has really helped me reign in the overeating. In the past two and a half or three months I've lost 30lbs. I definitely exercise (I bike 10 miles round trip to work, I took a 5 week kettlebell class, I've now got a gym membership where I do various classes and weight training and such), but the biggest factor in my weightloss has been diet. I create weekly lunches and post a picture of it almost weekly (here is a picture of this week's: http://i.imgur.com/uV8Tt.jpg), so perhaps that will be inspiring?

Good luck, you can do it!
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sending you a request, I started at 5'10" and 300 pounds (but I think probably 315ish at my highest). I'm like you, in that I'm well proportioned in addition to having a thin face, so people never would agree with me when I said I was fat. This made it easy to be in denial...I'm also in the BP meds department and they also make me feel like crap.

I'm in my fourth full week of daily logging on MFP and have also increased my exercise drastically. I feel so much better and can't even describe how improved my energy levels are! I have found that I do a lot of mindless and emotional eating. There are times where I honestly will have NO idea how much I have eaten.

I am just now mastering the quality over quantity when it comes to food. I have realized that I can eat just two hard boiled eggs and an apple and feel full until the next meal or I can eat something high carb and sugar and low protein and need a 10:00 a.m. snack because I'm about to chew on my keyboard at the office.

I am totally with you on the "loving to work out but hate to monitor food intake"! I've always been active, I'm not one to sit around and do nothing and always manage to get some form of exercise several times a week. Now that I have upped the intensity of my exercise, I now try to eat to fuel my body rather than for psychological needs. Sometimes the psychological needs/emotional eating still take over, but I'm getting much better!

Feel free to peruse my food diary :) Welcome aboard, I know you can do this!!!
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    PS, for me (who is in denial), putting a few full body photos in my profile is helping to keep me honest...can't deny my weight gain and the amount that needs to be lost in those photos...
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I'm 5'10 and when I started, my highest weight was 375. I now weigh 222. i also suffered from very high BP on top of many other issues. Please feel free to read my profile to see if you think we would make a good fit. Please know that it CAN be done...just commit FULLY and really believe that you are worth the hard work. I wish you the very best!
  • Nica_LosN_It
    Nica_LosN_It Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragements and the support. I have been on several pages of the ppl that has sent me friends request. I am trying to get to know everyone. I know that I asked for support, but I love encouraging people too. I am so much of a people's person. I am told that I have an magnetic personality. I just feel like there is no need to walk around with a frown. I usually get happy about the slightest little thing. Also, I am an huge country girl. I am learing to love the outdoors (scared of most bugs - but I am working on that). It is funny because my husband is a city boy and he loves the outdoors and I am a country girl who is afraid of the outdoors because of bugs (lol). So am I really a country girl?!?!?!

Well enough of my chattiness (I don't know if that is a word - lol). I am blessed to have met you guys and I can't wait to share my journey with you as well and cheer everybody on.

Nica:flowerforyou:
  • andigurl513
    Options
    I just want to chime in and tell you that you can TOTALLY do this. :) From the sounds of all of the health issues you are having, you know you need to do this. It's not an option anymore. Believe in yourself, and know that you are worth it, and you deserve to live a long, happy and healthy life. :) I am 6'1" and used to weigh over 300 pounds. I've lost over a hundred pounds and kept it off for over a decade (except when I had my son recently). Make small changes that you can sustain for a lifetime, no crash diets that aren't going to work. If you ever want to chat, let me know. I've been there. It's not always easy, but it's totally worth it - YOU are worth it. Move more, eat better. I didn't say eat LESS, I said better. :) You've got to eat to lose! If you ever want to chat let me know, I've been there and it can seem insurmountable - but you can total accomplish your goals. You've jsut got to seek out some information on how to do it, and then put the plan into motion!
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Welcome! My stats were fairly close to where your starting. I'm 5'10.5" and started at 315. Feel free to add me if you'd like more support, and you can totally do this! Just stay positive.
  • davilynrainwater
    Options
    I am 6' and overweight (244 after losing 8 pounds). I took Hatha yoga in 2011 as recommended by my oncologist after breast cancer surgery, was hooked on it the first day, and just do it daily at home now. It's just simple stretches combine with deep, slow breathing and is an easy, relaxing way to exercise. Please add me as a friend.
  • geminside
    geminside Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Would love to be your friend! 5'10", started at 253, currently at 242 and a loooooong way to go!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and 273 lb. I started at 340 lb. and had Lap band surgery. It's still far, far from easy. I haven't been thin since high school and don't remember what it's like.
  • Mommyjenlynn
    Mommyjenlynn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am the daughter of a mother that has been heavy my whole life (I am 34). She is 5'11 and wears a 26/28. Her weight has never bothered me. She put on the weight after she had my sisters whom are twins. They just turned 32. I understand your pains because I feel my mother's pains. I want her to stay healthy as well. If you ever need to chat, I am here to listen.
  • gettingbec2basics
    gettingbec2basics Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Omg, this thread is making me smile so much. There is nothing like knowing you aren't alone :) I'm just going to send you all requests, k? K!

I'm Bec. I'm 6'00" and my highest weight was 390. As of yesterday, I'm down to 349.7. I've got quite a bit to go, but I know I can do this. I know WE can do this. I too am in the camp of being extremely heavy for years without feeling the medical effects. And then it all started to catch up. So now, I'm changing my life :)
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This thread has been so inspiring. I'm so glad I found a section specifically for tall women, I'm 5'10" myself and at my highest weight I was 360, 338 as of last week and just working towards one small goal at a time. I'm always looking for new friends, so if you're looking, feel free to add me. :)
  • headyo
    headyo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Veronica, you are most definitely not alone. I am 5'11" and my starting weight was 341. I wore a size 26/28 or 3x/4x for years. Now, I am 225lbs. and wearing a size 16! I'm still working to take some more weight off and will support you as you do the same! Werk, lady!
  • Khisalandra
    Khisalandra Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome aboard. This place is amazing.

I'm 5'10.5 and my heaviest weight was 295. I'd been slowly losing (and re-gaining, and losing some more) over the last few years... but since joining MFP on January 1st, I've lost 23 pounds and am feeling SO much better in a lot of ways.

I'm waiting to hear about a surgery myself... on a labral tear in my right hip. I want to be able to exercise more and not have to be as careful and worry about breaking myself if I step wrong!

Feel free to add me, as I love waving pom poms for other people. :)
  • kstorch5
    kstorch5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and my heaviest was 328 lbs...similar height and weight for sure. Feel free to add me :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I too am tall (6'1") and started out waaay over 300 pounds. I write that 330 was my highest but it was probably higher as I hid from the scales for so long. I successfully lost 140lbs between 2007-2009 but unfortunately didnt address my food issues and I gained back about 95 pounds in a 2 year period :ohwell:

I am on the road back down to my first goal of 199, then hopefully a 'healthy' BMI of 188 lbs. This time I'm determined to stay healthy and not live in a feast/famine cycle.