Meds causing weight gain?

Options
jacs119
jacs119 Posts: 26 Member
:angry:
I was doing great, slowly losing at the rate of a pound a week, meeting my goal. I finally crossed the 20 lbs down threshold.
To counteract my high blood pressure, the doc prescribed me Amlodipine and Hydrochlorot. She also prescribed Etodolac to replace the Ibuprofen I had been taking for some back pain. But the Etodolac wasn't helping me, so the doctor added Tramadol and said I could take that with the Ibuprofen. The Tramadol helped a little bit, but not enough, so I got an MRI to find out what's going on and learned that I have some degenerative lumbar discs which are the source of my pain. I started seeing a chiropractor last week and will continue with three more sessions to see if he can relieve my pain.
When I saw my doctor following the MRI, she also had results of a series of fasting blood tests and said my sugar is high. So, she switched me from Hydrochlorot to Lisinopril due to my taking Ibuprofen which doesn't mix well with the Hydrochlorot. She also added Metformin due to the results of my blood tests.

I started those new meds on Wed. last week and I stayed off of the scale until this morning. I was shocked, dismayed and saddened to see that I gained 4 lbs since the last time I weighed in. I exercised more last week than in previous weeks and have not changed my caloric intake, however the weight gain still occurred. I'm very discouraged. Could this weight gain be from the new meds? I found some information online saying that Lisinopril might cause weight gain and that rapid weight gain might be due to water retention, however I have no swelling of my feet which with me, indicates that I'm retaining water.

Does anyone else have experience with weight gain on either Lisinopril or Metformin?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Water is retained in a lot of places, including fat cells. The bigger the body, the more places water can be retained. Visible water swelling in feet and ankles I consider to be excessive and needs a doctor's attention. To gain 4 lbs. of fat, you would need to consume 14,000 calories above your body's need. You are under a lot of stress, what with all the changes. Keep on watching your calories, doing exercises, etc. and the weight will come off. This is just a temporary peak, we all go through them. Your long term health is what is most important. Good luck!
  • jacs119
    Options
    Thank acogg.:smile:
    I hope you're right. I certainly didn't eat that many calories. I'm on a 1200 calorie per day regiment with at least 60 grams of protein. Often I have a protein bar or shake as one of my three meals. You're right about the stress. Dealing with pain is stressful. I appreciate your encouragement.
  • acogg
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: I'll be thinking of you today!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    :angry:
    I was doing great, slowly losing at the rate of a pound a week, meeting my goal. I finally crossed the 20 lbs down threshold.
    To counteract my high blood pressure, the doc prescribed me Amlodipine and Hydrochlorot.
    Does anyone else have experience with weight gain on either Lisinopril or Metformin?
    I can't remember the name of the 3 different meds I was on for high blood pressure, but I disliked all of them. The first one was HCTZ or something like that. My BP was in the 160/98 range when I started 2 years ago. Doc switched me to something else, then something else. By this time I had lost about 25 lbs and my BP was still in the 140/90 range, and wasn't budging. So I finally dropped my sodium levels to under 1000mg a day.
    Bingo! Within a week I was averaging 120/80 and Doc took me off my meds completely.
    That was back in early August and I haven't looked back. I'm extremely pleased to be completely drug free. I average 115/65 now and am down another 22 lbs!!
    Keeping my sodium levels below 1000mg a day is the key for me.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I feel for you! I don't know a lousy thing about any of the meds, but it sounds like you've had them switched around a lot in a short amount of time and it would seem to me that alone might cause your body to get all confused so it doesn't know which end is up. If you keep exercising, eating well, etc. and continue with a healthy lifestyle, the scale will move down over time. Just think of this as a blip oin the radar and give it all a chance to level out for you. On some medications, a person tends to gain weight, but that is because the meds mess up your sense of being full etc. so you eat more or exercise less, it isn't like you take a pill and all of a sudden your body hangs on to all 6 of those spinach calories and won't let go. If you continue to struggle, then go see the dr again and find out if there are other options. So many medical issues can be helped or fixed by weight loss and good eating--perhaps you and the doc can come up with a plan to help that way.
  • jacs119
    Options
    So I finally dropped my sodium levels to under 1000mg a day.
    Bingo! Within a week I was averaging 120/80 and Doc took me off my meds completely.
    That was back in early August and I haven't looked back. I'm extremely pleased to be completely drug free. I average 115/65 now and am down another 22 lbs!!

Your doc took you off meds completely after a week of 120/80 average blood pressure? Was your doctor monitoring your pressure daily? That just seems too quick to take you off meds completely.

My blood pressure was dangerously high too when I first had it checked back in August. Doc started me on 5mg of Amlodipine, then after a week, added the Hydrochlorot, then after another week or so upped the Amlodipine to 10 mg. My blood pressure is down to 135/90 or there abouts. I do want to get off the meds at some point. I checked my sodium intake over the past several weeks, which was easy since I've been using MFP since August. I rarely ingest more than 1500 a day, often am around 1000 and only once over the past 3 1/2 months have I gone over (slightly) the daily recommended 2500. I reset my goals for 1000 and hope that's the answer for me too.
    Very encouraging. Thanks!
  • jacs119
    Options
    Just think of this as a blip oin the radar and give it all a chance to level out for you. On some medications, a person tends to gain weight, but that is because the meds mess up your sense of being full etc. so you eat more or exercise less, it isn't like you take a pill and all of a sudden your body hangs on to all 6 of those spinach calories and won't let go.

HAHA. True that! Those spinach calories just won't budge. I found that funny because I do eat a lot of spinach. I'm not eating any more calories than before and I'm exercising more, so it just didn't seem to make sense. I was thinking it might be the muscle weighs more than fat syndrome, thinking that I might have built up some muscles from riding my recumbent bike.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement!!!
  • Rosezilla
    Options
    Yep, meds can cause weight gain, and they definitely can make it hard to lose weight. I am on so many meds, and I'm working so hard - eating between 1200 and 1500 calories, doing 3 hours weekly of weight lifting/strength training and another 5 hours of cardio, and I lose about 1 pound a week. The second the doc lowers or removes one of the meds, my weight drops. But the good news is that if you stick to the program, your body will reluctantly release the weight, little by little, and as it does, you'll gradually be able to lower medications, which increases the weight loss, and before you know it you'll be healthy, fit and trim. At least that is what I keep telling myself! And it seems to be coming true. I am down 2 dress sizes, and people are definitely noticing; plus my "numbers" (blood pressure, sugar, cholesterol) are TERRIFIC - and believe me, that's a huge change. Plus I feel so much better, stronger and more energetic now. I'm rooting for you!
  • lisabinco
    Options
    So I finally dropped my sodium levels to under 1000mg a day.

Your doc took you off meds completely after a week of 120/80 average blood pressure? Was your doctor monitoring your pressure daily? That just seems too quick to take you off meds completely.

My blood pressure was dangerously high too when I first had it checked back in August. Doc started me on 5mg of Amlodipine, then after a week, added the Hydrochlorot, then after another week or so upped the Amlodipine to 10 mg. My blood pressure is down to 135/90 or there abouts. I do want to get off the meds at some point. I checked my sodium intake over the past several weeks, which was easy since I've been using MFP since August. I rarely ingest more than 1500 a day, often am around 1000 and only once over the past 3 1/2 months have I gone over (slightly) the daily recommended 2500. I reset my goals for 1000 and hope that's the answer for me too.
    Very encouraging. Thanks!

Yes, the doc had to take me off them; otherwise with meds it was like 80/50 -- too low. That's how dramatic it was for me to drop my sodium levels. (I was totally shocked by how much sodium is in everything, just everything.) But yes, I was keeping a log of my readings every morning, at mid-day, and at night, and e-mailing them to her every 3 days or so. I had several office visits, too, over the next 6 weeks to make sure, along with a couple of blood tests. She's a cautious doc. But I really wanted off them.
    I average about 700mg a day, and when I do go over 1000mg in a day I can really see it in my face and ankles the next morning. I've just always been sensitive to sodium but didn't do anything about it until this year. It was MFP that really helped me see the sodium intake and helped me control it better.
    I do miss soy sauce on my sushi... but boy, do I look so much better in the mornings now!
    I sure wish the same for you.
  • jacs119
    Options
    But yes, I was keeping a log of my readings every morning, at mid-day, and at night, and e-mailing them to her every 3 days or so.
    Hum. I've been thinking about buying a monitor to keep track at home. Any product recommendations?
    I average about 700mg a day, and when I do go over 1000mg in a day I can really see it in my face and ankles the next morning.
    After I dropped my daily goal to 1000 yesterday, I did a little research and found advice to stay between 1500 and 2300 unless advised by a doctor. So, I raised mine to 1500 (it had been at the MFP recommended value of 2500) and plan to give my doctor a call later today. I'm not experiencing any swelling as you are. I sneaked a peek at your profile and saw that your goal is 125. I'm 5' 8" and I remember owning a size 8 dress once, but that was just one dress. At my most fit, I wore size 10 and weighed close to 140. I used to say that I was a perfect 10 since my feet are also that size, lol. So, I suspect I'm a bit taller/larger boned than you are. I don't think I'll ever see 125.
  • jacs119
    Options
    Yep, meds can cause weight gain . . .But the good news is that if you stick to the program, your body will reluctantly release the weight, little by little, and as it does, you'll gradually be able to lower medications, which increases the weight loss, and before you know it you'll be healthy, fit and trim.
    I am down 2 dress sizes, and people are definitely noticing; plus my "numbers" (blood pressure, sugar, cholesterol) are TERRIFIC - and believe me, that's a huge change. Plus I feel so much better, stronger and more energetic now. I'm rooting for you!
    Thanks for those encouraging words. I am sticking with it. I am determined to be in control of my weight and not let it control me. I am blessed thus far that my cholesterol and triglycerides are good, well within expected, normal ranges. Both my blood pressure and sugar are issues. I truly hope that bringing my weight under control will bring those two numbers within control also. Being reliant on meds is horrible.

Good for you dropping 2 dress sizes! :smile:
    I'm still wearing the same clothes I was wearing when I began this journey, but they fit better (looser), which makes me feel better. I'm still waiting to feel stronger and more energetic, but that's a dream at the moment. I'm having issues with my spine now that impair my activity. The only thing I can do that doesn't hurt is to ride my recumbent bike. But, at least that's better than doing nothing.
  • Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I take Hydrochlorithicide because I am alergic to Lisinopril. I also take a dieretic ( I cannot think of the name right now)and that helps with the water retention.

My husband takes Lisinopril and a dieretic as well.
  • Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I take Hydrochlorithicide because I am alergic to Lisinopril. I also take a dieretic ( I cannot think of the name right now)and that helps with the water retention.

My husband takes Lisinopril and a dieretic as well.

I mis spoke before and the hydrochlorithicide is the dieretic and I take Synthroid thyroid suplements at 250 mg daily.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm on cortisone treatments and fearing that the steroid will promote weight gain. =/ Especiall since I can't do my regular workouts while I'm waiting for the cortisone to do it's thang. Not having much faith that it's working and feeling like I'm doing this for nothing.
  • lisabinco
    Options
    But yes, I was keeping a log of my readings every morning, at mid-day, and at night, and e-mailing them to her every 3 days or so.
    Hum. I've been thinking about buying a monitor to keep track at home. Any product recommendations?
    I just bought an arm cuff and monitor at my local drug store (brand Omron) that I've had for over 2 years now. However, my mother has a nifty wrist cuff with monitor that is easier to use (can't remember the brand) that I use when I visit her. I take 3 readings in one sitting, arm level with the heart, after sitting quietly for a few minutes. I do it once a week now, but initially was doing it 3 times a day.
    I average about 700mg a day, and when I do go over 1000mg in a day I can really see it in my face and ankles the next morning.
    After I dropped my daily goal to 1000 yesterday, I did a little research and found advice to stay between 1500 and 2300 unless advised by a doctor. So, I raised mine to 1500 (it had been at the MFP recommended value of 2500) and plan to give my doctor a call later today. I'm not experiencing any swelling as you are. I sneaked a peek at your profile and saw that your goal is 125. I'm 5' 8" and I remember owning a size 8 dress once, but that was just one dress. At my most fit, I wore size 10 and weighed close to 140. I used to say that I was a perfect 10 since my feet are also that size, lol. So, I suspect I'm a bit taller/larger boned than you are. I don't think I'll ever see 125.
    My doc told me she advises her super-high BP patients to stay below 1000mg so that's what I did, even though my BP wasn't considered "super"-high.
    My high weight was 184 back in Feb 2012, way too fat for my not-petite frame, but 125 is my "lofty, yearning" goal weight. I'm 5'5" and large-boned (big 6.5" wrists and size 9 feet!) and haven't been 125 since my 30's. I used to be 115 in high school, very active then. But in my 30s I hovered between 120-125 while running/swimming 6 days a week. It was a good weight for me and I'd sure like to get back to that by April 2013. (My daughter, also not a petite person, is slightly over 5'8" and she looks very fit at 140, wearing size 10 clothes and shoes, too.)
  • lisabinco
    Options
    I'm on cortisone treatments and fearing that the steroid will promote weight gain. =/ Especiall since I can't do my regular workouts while I'm waiting for the cortisone to do it's thang. Not having much faith that it's working and feeling like I'm doing this for nothing.
    I don't know what your issue is that you need a cortisone treatment but I hope it helps you. I used progressively stronger steroid cremes for over a year on a persistent rash I had on my face. No creme ever cured it, it only kept the rash at bay. It wasn't rosacea, it was something similar, though no doc ever actually identified it. In mid-July I started eating substantially more healthy meals and completely cut out white flour/sugar and refined/processed junk. My rash cleared up within 2 weeks and has not returned. I personally think it was the sugar but whatever it was, it's gone now.
  • jacs119
    Options

I just bought an arm cuff and monitor at my local drug store (brand Omron) that I've had for over 2 years now. However, my mother has a nifty wrist cuff with monitor that is easier to use (can't remember the brand) that I use when I visit her. I take 3 readings in one sitting, arm level with the heart, after sitting quietly for a few minutes. I do it once a week now, but initially was doing it 3 times a day.
    Thanks! Will check out the Omron.
    My high weight was 184 back in Feb 2012, way too fat for my not-petite frame, but 125 is my "lofty, yearning" goal weight. I'm 5'5" and large-boned (big 6.5" wrists and size 9 feet!) . . . My daughter, also not a petite person, is slightly over 5'8" and she looks very fit at 140, wearing size 10 clothes and shoes, too.)
    Us big feet gals have good balance, lol!
    That's great that you're so near your goal. I think 140 could be doable for me too. I've got a long way to go. My doc said 1500 mg is fine to set as the maximum sodium for me.
    I do appreciate all of your input. Have a great day.
  • jacs119
    Options
    Yep, meds can cause weight gain, and they definitely can make it hard to lose weight. . . . The second the doc lowers or removes one of the meds, my weight drops. . . . I'm rooting for you!

I looked into the new meds and it turns out that the lisinopril was the culprit. A side effect was weight gain. The doc had replaced my water pill with the lisinopril because I was taking ibuprofen which didn't mix well with the water pill. Yesterday I begged her to let me go back to the water pill; that I would stop taking the ibuprofen and bear with the pain. Besides, I have started to see a chiropractor for the pain (due to degenerative lumbar disks) and was hopeful that my pain would be reduced by those treatments soon. She said yes and between yesterday and today, I dropped 3 pounds! And even better news is that my last session yesterday with the chiropractor really did the trick. I wasn't fixed immediately. Still felt pain afterward and most of the evening, but I diligently applied ice to the area from which the pain was radiating four times throughout the evening and woke up this morning feeling renewed! I haven't been this pain free in a month! I won't over do it today though since this might be a fleeting thing. However, it's the best day ever, being back on track with the weight loss and having merely a ghost of pain in my leg.

Thanks everyone for all of your encouragement and suggestions.
  • acogg
    Options
    I am so glad that you are improving and losing weight. Good for you!:flowerforyou: