trouble mastering the moves

Options
krista896
krista896 Posts: 76 Member
I just got turbo fire about a week and a half ago. I have been going the starter pack with the Fire Starter and the low HIIT 20 and 25. I want to move on to the rest of the program but I just cant get the moves down yet. When she breaks them down and goes slow I'm ok but the second she goes full speed I feel like I'm just flailing about with absolutely no coordination.

How long did it take everyone to master the combinations in order to properly do the workouts?

Replies

• CrystalBarzare32
    Options
    It will take some time. I remember for me it was 4 weeks or so.. Just do what you can when you can!!
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    Some of the combos can be hard to remember but you will get better. Im in my second week and some parts are easier than others. When in doubt just move any way you can. Or punch and march in place:)
  • cookiemahnster
    cookiemahnster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You will get it! Just keep going! I have to concentrate pretty hard still during some of the combos when you get near the end and Chalene doesn't cue as much, but as she and some others have said, any movement is good, even if you're punching the wrong way or doing the wrong type of jack. You can totally spot Chalene messing up a couple times in her own combos!

The main core of moves seems to show up in almost all of the videos, so you will get it down, don't worry about it too much and try to relax.
  • coachmjfitness11
    Options
    I've been doing turbo since turbo jam came out so I got lucky! Turbo jam really breaks down the moves in the intro videos and moves quite a bit slower so i was able to adapt to turbo fire quickly. Props to you for jumping right into it! You'll get it, just focus on form and working hard, if you aren't getting every move perfect- who cares! You are burning calories and having fun and that's what's important! :D Turbo on, turbo gal!
  • fourthirtyten
    Options
    Honestly, the regular videos are a little easier to master. When I tried the new videos, it was awkward because I was so used to feeling like I was "in" the class that it was difficult to follow the new videos - the camera was showing the class from the front, if that makes sense? Either way, you'll get it! It takes awhile. What helped me was doing the regular classes (I had TurboFire before the new videos came out with the Fire Starter video) with the "New to Class" option because she actually breaks everything down a little slower.

You'll get it! :-)
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 4 and finally feel like I've got most of what we've done so far.....hang in there. I was totally lost in the beginning too!:blushing:
  • oahugirl
    oahugirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is right! I'm just finishing week 12 and i think it took me 2 or 3 weeks to get everything down - and i still mess up sometimes. But, as long as you're moving you're burning! The HIITS are especially hard to master at first b/c they move so fast. Hang in there, you'll get it in no time. Feel free to message me if you have questions - TF has changed my life :)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Ditto, I'm on week 4 and I'm still having trouble getting some of the moves, but it is getting easier. Just keep going.
  • Territhesketcher
    Options
    I am on Week 10, and I still get tripped up sometimes. (Especially now that we are going back into the HIIT stuff.)

You don't have to move perfectly, or gracefully. There are times I feel like a spazmatic gazelle which means I definitely look like one...but that isn't the point. You're in your own home, so that takes away from the concern of appearance. (Thank God.)

Just keep moving. You'll start to feel out which moves are fun to do (Double bobs are totally fun for me) and you'll start remembering which combos have those fun moves in them, and before you know it, you'll just be doing it.

I won't lie, I was frustrated in the beginning as well. Having the moves broken down helps, and a lot of times the moves are repeated in different works outs (twists, double bobs, jab-and-push its, etc...) so once you get them down in the beginning, it makes the later works outs more enjoyable. =3
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    As mentioned already you don't have to be perfect. Just do your best. It is still working even if your moves are not 100% right on. It takes a few weeks to learn the moves to the point that you are more comfortable with things but I still trip myself sometimes. It's ok. Just keep moving.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've been doing turbo since turbo jam came out so I got lucky! Turbo jam really breaks down the moves in the intro videos and moves quite a bit slower so i was able to adapt to turbo fire quickly. Props to you for jumping right into it! You'll get it, just focus on form and working hard, if you aren't getting every move perfect- who cares! You are burning calories and having fun and that's what's important! :D Turbo on, turbo gal!

Ditto! Maybe try a turbo jam dvd? Like ^^ said, it's slower and is an EXCELLENT intro to turbo fire because it has a lot of the same moves!! I <3 my turbo jam dvds. Not as high of a burn/ intense of a workout but they're just a blast to do! It made the transition easy though having already mastered those.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i agree! Start with a turbo jam, they break everything down. She has BASIC moves, then adds on to them. Im in week 2 and they are getting easier for me.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the new to class options? Maybe try those a few times before moving onto the regular workout. I haven't tried them personally, but I've heard it can help. I say the moves out loud to myself, I probably look like a total nutjob. But it helps!