Deli Meat

Options
neelia
neelia Posts: 750 Member
I've been told to stay away from deli meat while pregnant due to fear of listeria, but I was thinking about packing my own lunches for work and was considering deli sandwiches (like turkey).

If I heat the meat before I put the sandwich together, then eat it much later (after cooled), would you still worry about listeria? Just wondering.

Replies

• Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've been told to stay away from deli meat while pregnant due to fear of listeria, but I was thinking about packing my own lunches for work and was considering deli sandwiches (like turkey).

If I heat the meat before I put the sandwich together, then eat it much later (after cooled), would you still worry about listeria? Just wondering.

Do you have a microwave at work? If so, I would probably bring the meat in a separate bag, microwave it shortly before I wanted to eat it, and then put in on the sandwich.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options

Do you have a microwave at work? If so, I would probably bring the meat in a separate bag, microwave it shortly before I wanted to eat it, and then put in on the sandwich.

Yes, I have a microwave...and I can't believe I didn't think of that! LOL!!!
  • BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Yes, I have a microwave...and I can't believe I didn't think of that! LOL!!!

Best way to do it! And then the bread doesnt get soggy before you eat it :smile:
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Eating the lunch meat cold at anytime is bad. I agree with everyone else. Just microwave the lunchmeat at work then put it on your sandwich. I have just been eating egg salad and pb&j sandwiches because i dont want to mess with making my sandwich at lunch.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Eating the lunch meat cold at anytime is bad. I agree with everyone else. Just microwave the lunchmeat at work then put it on your sandwich. I have just been eating egg salad and pb&j sandwiches because i dont want to mess with making my sandwich at lunch.

^This is what I do, PB&J or egg salad. I also recommend nuking the meat at work so that it's hot when you eat it. If it cools, the chance for bacteria to grow goes back up.

I was told that if I went to Subway, it was ok to eat a toasted sandwich. So I guess Quizno's is cool, too. I just never eat at those places... I do crave deli meat sometimes, plus it's an easy, low-calorie way to get in some good protein, but oh well.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

That's exactly what I do.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I just had a thought - do what my husband does! He buys Hillshire Farms corned beef (it's pretty yummy) and nukes it to make his own Reubens. Rye bread is hard to come by here, for whatever reason, but he just makes it with our typical Nature's Own wheat, sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing.

It smells and looks awesome when he makes it, and I am now wondering why I never thought to ask him to make me one, too (or just make one myself).
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Now I'm gonna have to get stuff for Reubens, sounds sooooo good!! Yeah, I've been just nuking mine before I add it to my sandwich, and when I hit subway (except for the one time I forgot to ask/think about it :grumble: ) I just ask them to double-toast my meat. Turns out yummy!!

Also agree with previous posters - pb&j, egg salad, also make chicken salad, tuna salad (once a week), turkey salad, etc. Grilled ham and cheese (grilled the ham separately, then the whole sammich) is yummy.... Heck, I even tossed a steak in the chopper to make a real coarse blend, added mayo and A-1 and that was an AWESOME sandwich with cheese!! (Yes, probably a pregnancy-related thing.... not sure as I've never tried it non-preggo. LOL)