Just started Stronglifts this week! I have 2 questions.

Options
iorahkwano
iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
Quick facts: Female, 24yrs old, 5'6", 137lbs. Some experience in weight lifting, but am usually a kickboxing/treadmill/cardio junky. Was doing a metabolic resistance workout class from July up until now.

I started Stronglifts on Wednesday, so I only did 2 workouts thus far. I'm planning to have a M-W-F routine (I wrote what weights I used at the end of this post). I read the Stronglifts summary but I have some questions:

1) The summary says to start with an empty bar, but an empty bar is too easy for me (Our heaviest bar at my gym is 45lbs & I can do a lot of reps with that). I'm a little unclear what 50% of 5 rep max means, that seems very light and possibly less weight than what I was doing before I started Stronglifts. 55lbs & 65lbs is challenging for me (Except deadlifts, of course) & I have to work to get that 5th rep in! Is it okay that I started this heavy?

2) This workout is very short (I've been told my rest periods will get longer once I start doing heavier weights). Should I be doing anything in addition to this workout? For now, I go to a workout class (They do metabolic resistance training and conditioning, little cardio). I do my stronglifts by myself, and when I'm done I join in on whatever the class is doing (I usually catch the last 20-15mins depending if they started on time).

3) Extra question: The summary says only 1 rep of 5 sets for deadlift? Why is that? I accidentally did 5x5 yesterday thinking it was like the other exercises.

Wednesday - Workout A:
(55lbs) Barbell Front Squat
(55lbs) Bench Press
(65lbs) Barbell Row

Friday - Workout B:
(65lbs) Barbell Front Squat
(55lbs) Barbell Overhead
(115lbs) Deadlift

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    In answer to question one, by the photos you posted, you look strong enough to start heavier in any case.

In answer to question two, most of us do some form of cardio and it has no ill effects on our lifts if we are eating correctly. You look mighty fit, so whatever you can manage, keep it up.

In answer to question three, when you are lifting heavier, I'd say 60 kg plus, then you will know why you ONLY do 5 on the deads. The heavier you get, the less you will want to do, also if your form is not quite correct, the pulling effect it can have on your back is not the nicest (dull muscle ache, but can be uncomfortable if you just use your back to lift).
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Okay, thank you for answering my questions! :)
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I started out at the prescribed weights even though it seemed "easy". I focused on form and getting the routine. It progresses quickly - I am now just done with week 5 and have had to slow my weight increases on some lifts. I used this spreadsheet and I think I started out at like 65 instead of 45. Use just the bar for warmup set #1, then 75% weight for warmup set #2. Don't forget about warmup sets either!

http://stronglifts.com/secret-5x5-report/
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Warm up sets? The Stronglift Summary on MFP didn't really talk about what they are or what that means (I took it to mean a set you do before the 5 sets, and figured I didn't need them). I just did my 5 sets with the same amount of weight :/

Thanksfor the link! I'll read it more thoroughly on my laptop, I'm on a phone right now.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Here is what I used as a guide to warmup sets:

http://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can get the spreadsheet @ home tonight.
  • HolliCooper
    HolliCooper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link on warm up sets, that clears a lot up.
    Seeing how my workout weight is barely above the empty bar I've just been doing bodyweight warm ups for now but once I get up to a larger weight I'll need to work this in. I had miss-read the pdf and thought it was just 2 with the empty bar then go for it on your big weight!
    Thank you for setting me straight there! :)
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Bumping until I figure out this 5x5 stuff enough to give it a go!