What was your starting weight?

Options
VSGme
VSGme Posts: 36 Member
I'm going for my initial consultation in January and as a self pay, I should be able to schedule right away. I'm starting at 215 lbs and hoping to get down to at least 150.

What was everyone else's start weight and goals?

Replies

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 251.5 the night before surgery on 4/4/12. I am at 170 now & I think I'll probably try to maintain around 135-140. I'm 5'2" (although the surgeon's nurse measured me at 5'3"). I don't want to get too skinny--I've gotten used to having some curves.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 386. I lost 20 before the actual surgery and the rest over the last 16 months. Still have 94 to go. They tell me my ideal weight is 160 which is what I weighed in High School (and they said I was 20 pound over weight then!). Anyway, that would be a nice place to land, but I will not kill myself to get there or beat myself up if I don't make that. As long as I get below 200 pounds, I will consider this a success. My whole aim was to get to a healthy weight. Anything below 200 will do that. :smile:
  • themommyiwannabe
    themommyiwannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 257 in July. I lost 25 lbs. prior to surgery on November 12th. I have lost 20 lbs. since surgery for a total of 45 pounds. My goal is to be at 150 so I still need to lose 62 lbs.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 360. I lost 30 pounds when I quit my desk job. I weighed 330 when I started considering VSG a month ago. I have lost 20 pounds so far on an 800 calorie high protein diet that my surgeon's nutritionist gave me. I hope to lose 30 more pounds before my March 13th surgery date. If I lose 30 more pounds that will make my surgery weight 280. I hope to get below 200 within a year. Anything beyond that is low carb, reduced sodium, fat-free gravy.

oh yeah, and I'm 5'5" and 40 years old. My BMI at 330 was a whopping 55!
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 262.2 I lost 28 before surgery on 11/5/12 and have lost a total of 46.2 I would like to get down to 150
  • VSGme
    VSGme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like everyone is having great success! Have any of you added exercise to reach your goals or is it coming off mostly by watching what you eat? My dad lost a lot of weight with the surgery. He's a year our and went from 300-something lbs to 210 by surgery alone. No exercise but the added energy from weight loss has made him more active in his daily life. I hope that will work for me too, I HATE the gym :(
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was 325 at my pre-op appointment one week prior to my surgery on 11/9/11. Today I am 181 pounds. So I have lost 144 pounds in about 13 1/2 months. I would loke to get to 160 pounds so just 21 more pounds to go. In the beginning I didn't really exercise other than some walking. Then about 6 months out I added Zumba 3 times a week. That was great but didn't really give me the toning I was looking for so in July (about 8 months post-op) I gave up the Zumba and started kickboxing twice a week. The kickboxing has really helped with the toning more than anything.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 386. I lost 20 before the actual surgery and the rest over the last 16 months. Still have 94 to go. They tell me my ideal weight is 160 which is what I weighed in High School (and they said I was 20 pound over weight then!). Anyway, that would be a nice place to land, but I will not kill myself to get there or beat myself up if I don't make that. As long as I get below 200 pounds, I will consider this a success. My whole aim was to get to a healthy weight. Anything below 200 will do that. :smile:
    [/quote

Yes, I added exercise. Once I got below 300 pounds I got a Pilates machine. I love it and try to use it at least 3 times a week. I also hate exercise, but I know without it I won't get below 200 and probably won't be able to keep it off. I also walk. My goal is 3 times a week to walk and/or do Pilates. Sometimes I'm above that, but most of the time I'm right at.
  • clblew
    clblew Posts: 30
    Options
    I started keeping track of my weight back in June where I was 370. I know I was bigger than that in the spring, but was too heavy for my scales to register my weight. My surgery was this past Monday and I weighed in at 290 that morning for a loss of 80 lbs, pre-surg. Aside from getting under 300 by surgery, numbers have never been part of my goals but I would be happy with getting down to around 200, maybe a bit under just to see that first number a "1". I did a complete change across the board in July - nutrition, exercise, and behaviors. I know that these changes will only help me post-op. although I am "released" to do light exercise I am looking forward to getting my complete release and get back to a regular routine. Winter months are my swim months so I like a fish out of water at the moment!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I started keeping track of my weight back in June where I was 370. I know I was bigger than that in the spring, but was too heavy for my scales to register my weight. My surgery was this past Monday and I weighed in at 290 that morning for a loss of 80 lbs, pre-surg. Aside from getting under 300 by surgery, numbers have never been part of my goals but I would be happy with getting down to around 200, maybe a bit under just to see that first number a "1". I did a complete change across the board in July - nutrition, exercise, and behaviors. I know that these changes will only help me post-op. although I am "released" to do light exercise I am looking forward to getting my complete release and get back to a regular routine. Winter months are my swim months so I like a fish out of water at the moment!

Wow, that's an impressive pre-surgery weight loss! I'm trying to lose 40 before my march 13th surgery. Did you do any particular diet or just "eating sensibly"?
  • Peazwithin
    Peazwithin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was at 299 for my consult. That was my highest weight. By the morning of my surgery October 2nd, I had met my personal goal of 20lbs gone. I have lost an additional 50 lbs since the surgery and have 70-80 to go. My Dr has not given me a goal weight but like so many here believes I can get to the 150 range. I am walking now and try to move it, move it every day! Sometimes I just walk around wal-mart, Target or Meijers. I don't need anything and I am not hungry (food triggers and traps of the past!). I park farther away from work and count that too! MFP has been great at helping me track protien, carbs and fiber. Start off with just walking if you can, your body will tell you when it is time to do more or move on to the next step! Much success to you.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I was 314 when my knee gave out. I stopped all soda and started to eat on a smaller plate. I lost 17 lbs before my first surgery (lap band). I was losing slowly, but happy. I had lost 40lbs when the doctor cranked the band down to where is caused slippage. I couldn't keep anything down. By the time I got medical insurance I was down to 185 lbs. and they converted it to the sleeve. I gained at first because I could finally eat. I've been very careful since. I am now down to 200.9, but having exercised through all of this, I wear the same size as I did last year at 185 lbs, but I have toned up. I have less gobble neck and tire around the middle from the exercise.

I feel this is a one time do over in life. I don't ever want to go back to 314 lbs. I am constantly watching what I eat, how much I eat, how I eat and most of all exercise.
  • clblew
    Options
    It was my own changes. I refused to call it a diet. I quit soda all together. Only drank water or SF things like crystal light or SF kool aid. I ate red meat once a week and the rest was turkey, chicken and fish. Low carbs - if I had bread, it was multi grain, if I had rice, it was brown rice. All fried foods were off the list as was fast food. No chips. Lots of veggies and fruits. Started with 30 min 3x week exercise. Kept my goals realistic and attainable. But I lost 15.5 lbs in the first week by just quitting the soda and fast food.
  • Bunnyg33
    Options
    When I started my journey in June 2012 I was 242, BMI 40, height 5'4. Surgery weight of 222 on Dec 5, 2012.
  • Sugar7324
    Options
    I had my surgery November 2010. I weighed 282 at my highest weight and my lowest weight after surgery was 169. Unfortunately, today I weigh 182 :(
  • ckfmem
    ckfmem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on Nov. 12, 2012 as well. How is it going? I find it hard to find foods high in protein to eat. I am so tried of eating the same things. I hate greek yogurt and cottage cheese which of course has lots of protein. Celeste
  • clblew
    Options
    II understand finding things with good protien. I too don't care for the greek yogurt. I do like several flavors of regular yogurt. Have you looked into any protein mixes for puddings or shakes? I use the Wonderslim brand for pudding (I love the chocolate and the caramel) They also have some that can be pudding or shakes depending on how much liquid you mix with them. Also, Bariwise has fruit drinks that I enjoy. I get the Berry which tastes a lot like hawiian punch. They have many other flavors. Even though I spend a bit more, it is nice to have the different options and all contain 12-15g of protein per serving. Good Luck!
  • libbyd63
    libbyd63 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was 263 pre sleeve, had my sleeve on 12/10/2012... lost 13 pds preop diet...now a total of 26...
    You will need to exercise even if it is just walking, it does help.
    I am hoping I can starting working out more soon, I would like to see how it help with the weight loss!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    SW 264
    CW 165-172 (goes up and down, but haven't broken past 165 yet!!)
    GW - hmmm not focused on a # as much as the look/shape of my body.
  • Who_Dat75
    Options
    SW 230lbs 5'5
    CW 169
    GW To look good and be healthy