Post-op and belly swelling

Options
Hi all, just had my surgery last monday (12/17). As expected, between the gas from the surgery and the inflammation from the surgical sites, I have quite the "pot belly" that I didn't have before surgery. My question is, for those who have had surgery already, how long did it take to see you belly go back to "normal" ?? I have noticed that when I turn on my side at night it is like there is a "sloshing" as my belly shifts over to the side - quite an odd feeling I must say. I figure I would just use that as my marker. As I slosh less, I am getting back to normal!
Would love your thoughts and experiences!!!

Replies

• shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I had two surgeries, and both of them for the first three days I felt like I had to hold my skin or it would fall off. I thought maybe it was because they fill you with air inorder to do the surgery and the skin, fat and muscle have to adhere back together. One thing to caution. Move around as much as you can. Walk down the hall and back several times. Gas loves to rise. Mine rose and got stuck under my shoulders. It was painful. When my son had an appendectomy I told him the same thing and he said it helped. ( Never thought my 13 year old would listen to me?!!) Even after healing, walk as much as you can. It's one of the best exercises you can do. I'm 2 1/2 years out from the first surgery and one year out from the second and I still walk twice a day for 20 min each. (I use the dog as an excuse, but he loves it) Good luck with everything. Add me as a friend or write to me when you need.
  • bka3601
    bka3601 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i had VSG surgery on the 13th of december and i would tell you that my belly is almost back to "normal" as of the 23rd
  • libbyd63
    libbyd63 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery on 12/10 and my stomach is back to normal...But like she said earlier...walk...it helps the gas
  • clblew
    clblew Posts: 30
    Options
    Happy New Year's Eve all!
    Thanks for all the replies. Seems like about 10 days was the average and that is what it appeared here too. I have one incision spot on the left lower side that the doc said had to be made a bit larger to take out the stomach and he had to stitch it up (including the muscle) so I still have some swelling in that area. Still have a lot of pain there too and find that with it being right at the waist line I am not going to be wearing jeans for a while. It's pretty frustrating as this is the only surgery issue I seem to be having. If I sit for a while, it hurts to stand. If I lie down or stand for a while, it hurts to sit. I understand it all but it sure doesn't make it better. Anyone else have anything similar? How long did it take for the pain to start going from constant to getting better?
  • scrapingd
    scrapingd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i also had surgery on the 13th! we are surgery buddies!