Elliptical machine at home or at the gym?

Options
I'm curious. Do you have an elliptical machine at home? Or do you use the elliptical machines at your local gym?

I use the elliptical machines at the local gym. They have about 9 elliptical machines from various companies. They all have attached mini-televisions, but I usually listen to my music I've downloaded to my iPhone.

Replies

• kirby34puckett
    kirby34puckett Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have one at home that I use. My parents got it for me two years ago for Christmas.
  • carholl
    carholl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Had an older one at home I used for about 6 months. Started going to the gym, but the only time I could go was in the morning before work. Would leave home about 6 am, 20 minute drive. Once school started back (3 school zones to go thru), the time change and colder weather, I know it was time to get a new one for the house.Have had it about 2 months, and use it every day!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Home, I hate to share the elliptical (have to share it with my husband though and he keeps attaching the arms which I have to detach). It would drive me nuts waiting in line for it at the gym, but then I don't go to the gym ;)
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Both after this weekend, it's going to be nice to have one at home for when the gym is closed.
  • HoneyRiot
    HoneyRiot Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just bought my own elliptical and I much, much prefer using the elliptical at home. I can work out whenever I like, how long I like, and I don't have to worry about cleaning the machine before and after use. (I do clean it..but it's the "other people's germs" factor that grosses me out.) I can listen to my music without headphones as loud as I like and I can have the TV tuned to whatever channel I like. Also, I like the privacy...I can wear just my underwear and sneakers if I want. :bigsmile:

Also, it doesn't give me any excuses to not work out. Like, "it's too late to go to the gym" or "the gym is just too far away and it's late at night and I am tired" among many other excuses. I put the thing in my room and I have to walk by it everyday.

So, in summary, I vote Home. :smile:
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I use the one at the gym. My husband and I go early in the morning before work. I usually alternate between elliptical and bike but prefer elliptical. :smile:
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    I was lucky to be able to "adopt" one into the house in late Dec. (WOULD use at the gym too, if I could afford a gym membership ... but given family schedules, going to the gym would probably be spotty at best) :huh:

Like PammyLZ, I apreciate the "can climb on any time / tune music or tv to whatever I what / shortcuts excuse factor" :laugh:

If I used it at the gym, it might be a higher quality machine, but I wouldn't be able to use it in conjuction with my Wii ... which seems to be the common factor in the kinds of "scrolling landscape" environmental support that has been the most consistently motivating for me personally. :love: :love: :love: