New to gluten free

Options
Hi everyone! My name's Meryl, and I am on day 1 of gluten-free eating. My doctor thinks that my headaches, stomach issues, recurring rashes and lack of energy could be a result of a gluten sensitivity, so after a farewell tour of my favorite foods over the last couple of weeks I'm doing a 3 month gluten-free challenge. I'm really hoping that I'll feel better way before that. My 10 yr old son also has similar issues and I'll be discussing this with his doctor at his check-up tomorrow.

I'm still working my way back through all of the discussions, and making notes along the way. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a smart doctor. :)

Good Luck, and let us know if you have any questions!
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hello! Good luck with this new lifestyle. Believe it or not, its a tasty and healthy life. :)
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm past day 70 but along the way you'll note that you have foods in your pantry, etc. that will "gluten" you.

I did... well, some I did on purpose to test physical reactions - all of which I noted... and some were accidental. One set me back a full two weeks - it was horrible.

Anyway, good luck on your journey, there's some smart folks on here - I've learned a lot in just the past couple of months.

PS - you should never feel deprived - there are plenty of gluten free snacks out there and yummies, just eat as clean as you can and you will feel much better. I do. :)
  • cardgirl48
    Options
    Hi, I am Mary and I just found out the other day that I have Celiac's Disease and can not have gluten anymore. Any sugguestions?
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    welcome :) I have lived GF for I don't even know how long now.. it is all I know. Let me know if you have any questions :) I would bet money you will be feeling so much better after a few weeks of living GF :)
  • Black_Widow1976
    Black_Widow1976 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/gluten-glossary-what-watch

all i can say is read every label ! there is gluten in things that you do not expect to have gluten. the above link has a list to look out for. hope it helps.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of Living Gluten Free for Dummies. A vry helpful book. And you really do not need to give up anything. You can make virtually anything gluten free. My mom, also Celiac, bakes and cooks all the time and people are amazed that whe they eat it they are eating gluten free
  • Garlicmash
    Options
    If you want to find out if big name brands have gluten free product just go on their web sights and check out if they have a gf list.
    Heinz have a big list.
    Avoid modified starches if possible,I'm allergic and i always react to them, they also appear in flavourd yogurts.
    I made the mistake one day of not reading the label on a plain yogurt with fruit in the bottom,i won't do that again. I became ill while i ate it so watch out for things like that.
    plain natural yogurts and add you're own fruit to avoid it happening to you're self.
    Don't let it get to you either always think of the things you can eat don't dwell on the things you can't. cause it just get you down if you do.
    I wish you luck with getting to grips with it.
    If anything it will make you more creative with you meals finding new ingredients you may of not tried before.
    my new one is quinoa i cook it in Knorr stock cubes with garlic and its yum.