What this is all about?

Options
mexico4fun
mexico4fun Posts: 31 Member
If you are anything like me, you have achieved a lot of other things in your life but struggle with taking care of yourself.
If this sounds like you, you are in the right place. I have my mind made up to change my life once and for all.

I have enrolled in a new program, I am working towards a Master's Degree in ME.

Ask yourself the questions that changed my mind:
1) List some of the things that you have been able to accomplish in your life.
2) What skills did you utilize to accomplish those goals?
3) What things did you have to overcome to meet those goals?
4) Do you know anyone who has also achieved the goal that you are looking to achieve; if so, can you rely on them for support?
5) Why is this goal any different?

Share your answers and our group can be the support you are looking for.

Replies

• MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Midge and have been married 31 years. I have two wonderful sons ages 24 and 26 neither live at home now. I own my own business. This group really caught my interest. I liked the questions...so here are my answers.
    I have been able to accomplish 108 items on my goal list ( had this list since 1998 before the movie came out naming a goal list a bucket list). Including owning my own business.
    2) What skills did you utilize to accomplish those goals? the ability to learn, organize and implement ideas.
    3) What things did you have to overcome to meet those goals? I had to overcome Fear, (false evidence appearing real ) and replace it with faith (fully anticipating incredible things happening).
    4) Do you know anyone who has also achieved the goal that you are looking to achieve; if so, can you rely on them for support? Yes, there are a few MFP friends on this site who have done incredibly well and are always supportive and encouraging!
    5) Why is this goal any different? Not sure why this goal is different then the other goals. Maybe because I have achieved it in the past but it didn't last and I slipped back to old non healthy habits of over working and eating because of being stressed out. This time it feels different and I know I can do it! I love rewarding myself with "adventures" instead of food. This week is going to be challenging but when we slip or have setbacks we can look at the setbacks and analyze what we could have done differently. Though I am planning on eating a little bit of everything at the parties and Christmas dinner. I'm hoping not to go over my calorie budget by more than a couple of hundred calories.
  • mexico4fun
    Options
    Hi Midge,
    Our time is NOW! As effective and successful as we are with everything else in our lives, we need to turn that same dedication and determination towards ourselves. I find my biggest mistake is not eating several times a day. I baked several different kinds of cookies and sweets yesterday for others in my household and didn't even try one. I sat at the table and ate cantelope with everyone and felt content only because I had stuck to my meal plan all day. Unfortunately, I realized everything that I put into those treats and felt guilty giving them to my loved ones. Eating six meals a day makes me less likely to grab unhelathy stuff. Make sure to eat regularly before you go to those holiday events, that way you will be more unlikely to eat the things that are less healthy for you. Good luck.
    p.s. my saving grace is that I hate anything creamy or gooey which eliminates many threats.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Susan, and I'm a workaholic, hopefully on my way to recovery in 2013 :tongue: I run my own freelance medical writing business - originally I started out on my own so I could have more of a life after I left a job where I thought I was overworked and had no life (well, we were overworked, and I had very little life). However, I discovered my new boss (me) had even more of a problem saying no to work, and now I truly have no life... So, my goal is to change all that in 2013, to achieve a better work/life balance, and to work on some non-business-oriented goals that have been on the back-burner for years. I had an epiphany a few weeks ago when I realized the root of my problem was that I had trouble saying no to everyone except myself...

I earned 2 BAs and a PhD, earned several promotions at my old job, started a successful freelance career, have run several 5Ks, and have even won in my age group in a few very small local races.

2) What skills did you utilize to accomplish those goals?
    Persistence, discipline, commitment, following an established "path", and continually digging for information and learning

3) What things did you have to overcome to meet those goals?
    Fear, erroneous beliefs (like 'I'm not a runner'), busy life/too little time (2nd BA), frustration and no visible progress (grad school)

4) Do you know anyone who has also achieved the goal that you are looking to achieve; if so, can you rely on them for support?
    Several committed MFP pals who are very supportive.

5) Why is this goal any different?
    It shouldn't be - it won't be as long as I start making myself a priority. I need to put working out and preparing meals on the calendar, just like I do work assignments, and I need to turn down work assignments that would cut into the time I've set aside for "me". I've already cut back on a few clients, and I'm trying to keep my workload to a more manageable level so I can have time for my life, starting Jan 1, 2013!
  • mexico4fun
    Options
    You are on the right path. Together we can change our behaviours and suceed! One small change at a time.
    Welcome!
  • MidgeN27
    Options
    Didn't do too bad during the Christmas holiday, but did gain a few pounds...already lost 3 of them and 3 are left to go. We can do this! I have even hired someone to free up some of my time to workout. Feeling good about 2013, we can do this! Thanks for your support and encouragement mexico4fun!
  • MidgeN27
    Options
    Hi Susan! Maybe you should hire someone to help with the business or food prep and cooking ( I'm lucky that my hubby enjoys that) but I hired someone part time to work the business, so that I could go and play ( I'm taking up kayaking in 2013 and hiking). It seems to me that we need to delegate a little more to be successful and work on us and our goals....a little scary...I am a control monkey...but don't tell anyone ;). We can do this!
  • mexico4fun
    Options
    Hi MidgeN27,
    Great goals and activity that you have set. My issue has never been the food prep as I love to cook but have always had issues stopping work to eat. I have just made up my mind and found strategies to ensure that I eat six meals a day.
    Good for you to do something good for you.
    I work on our local military base, running a very large family resource centre. We are busy but I recently did an organizational re-org and have since been able to deligate many tasks to others so I can get the core of my job now within reason. My job is sane now. 2013 is my year!
    Keep your eye on you!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Hi Midge,

Good job getting a jump on those holiday pounds before they settle in, and congrats on hiring someone to free up some of your time! I've thought about where I could delegate or hire someone, and just can't find anyplace it would make sense - I don't want to hire someone for my business - I hate overseeing employees, so that would just add to the hassle and stress. I did stop ironing several years ago - everything that can wrinkle goes to the dry cleaners now - best choice I ever made :bigsmile: At some point I may try out some cleaning services, but tried one once and it didn't work out so well - it's just me and the cats, and we don't make much of a mess. I just really need to be diligent about saying no to jobs I don't want or don't have time for - I've cut one client back starting Jan 1, and dropped a few others that were not worthwhile, so I "think" my schedule will be more manageable going forward. Hope springs eternal!
  • MidgeN27
    Options
    Hey Mexico4fun...2013 is going to be our year I can feel it! Thanks for helping the families of our military...it's so important that they have help while their loved ones are away! Organization is going to be another goal of mine in 2013, we can do this! Happy Healthy and a Prosperous New Year to you!
  • MidgeN27
    Options
    Hey Susan, seems like you are making great strides to get your business under control...forgetting to eat was an issue for me too....I now set my phone to go off every few hours to remind me to eat. I was up to my eyeballs in paper work and thank goodness for the phone alarm to remind me so I did get 4 meals in. It's a start 2013 is going to be our year! Yay! Wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous new yer!