weekly challenges

Options
just a suggestion, but what about having some sort of weekly challenges...like walking so many miles for the week or so many sit ups etc.
just a suggestion

Replies

• orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I like that idea.

One week, Umer and I did a small competition between us to reach a 'calories burned' goal. Maybe we could do that one week?

Count me in :)
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Yes it is great to set up a challenge weekly. I am not going to the gym so I cannot commit to 3500 cals burn for the week :tongue: . What about 2000 cals or something around that level for the first week of 2013? What do you guys think?

If all the participants are doing regular exercise or going to the gym, 3500 cals burn is a very good number though.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    umer we will come up with the challenges later....I say we give ourselves time to get adjusted....say a week or 2 then have a person name a challege each week and those that want to participate are welcome to do so.......what do you all think?
  • DterMined2012
    Options
    Yes it is great to set up a challenge weekly. I am not going to the gym so I cannot commit to 3500 cals burn for the week :tongue: . What about 2000 cals or something around that level for the first week of 2013? What do you guys think?

If all the participants are doing regular exercise or going to the gym, 3500 cals burn is a very good number though.
    3500 cal in a week is a good burn!
  • DterMined2012
    Options
    just a suggestion, but what about having some sort of weekly challenges...like walking so many miles for the week or so many sit ups etc.
    just a suggestion
    Now I want this to be a subset to this group....I don't want us to do this outside our group....make sense?
  • GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    FUN IDEA!!!!
  • umer76
    Options
    I agree and weekly challenges should be fun and good way of burning cals.
  • trina33
    trina33 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of having having something to focus on each week. I'm not so much into seeing if I can outdo other people, but I like to see if I can reach a certain goal for myself.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'd be in for a weekly challenge. I don't think I could get 3500 a week though. On circuit training days, MFP only gives me 244 calories for the circuit. My plan is 3 day circuit & 3 days cardio on the elliptical (weekly burn of 1500-2000 cals). I do everything at home & don't have a HRM so I have to rely on MFP's set burns for the exercises.
  • umer76
    Options
    As a start 2000 cals would be good idea but trust me 3500 looks high but if you burn some calories every day it is achievable.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of having having something to focus on each week. I'm not so much into seeing if I can outdo other people, but I like to see if I can reach a certain goal for myself.

ITs not about out doing other people - its about out doing yourself. So if your regular weekly burn is 1000 cals, why not set a challenge to burn 1200 one week?

When Umer and I did it, we each set our own weekly goal and then cheered each other to reach it. We weren't trying to beat each other - thats not helpful in my view, because you still have to work around your life.

So one week it could be how many sit ups. If you regularly do 100 a day, aim for 110 each day and in my case, i would aim for 10 a day (because i do none as a rule lol) to give me a weekly target of 70.

The way i see it is someone names a challenge (sit ups, total cals burned, push ups, miles walked, whatever) and each participant names their target. Then they post to say how many they achieved - might be more or less than target, or might be bang on. If we had this as a rolling challenge, lets say over 4 weeks, and then started the same challenges again, the aim could be to beat your last achieved score.
  • neudeb12
    neudeb12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    challenges are a fun idea; a good way to keep things fresh!
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Like the idea of challenging ourselves while having others cheer us on!

M
  • umer76
    Options
    Not only cheer but also kick *kitten* if detracked!
  • DterMined2012
    Options
    my feelings exactly :wink:
  • DterMined2012
    Options

ITs not about out doing other people - its about out doing yourself. So if your regular weekly burn is 1000 cals, why not set a challenge to burn 1200 one week?

When Umer and I did it, we each set our own weekly goal and then cheered each other to reach it. We weren't trying to beat each other - thats not helpful in my view, because you still have to work around your life.

So one week it could be how many sit ups. If you regularly do 100 a day, aim for 110 each day and in my case, i would aim for 10 a day (because i do none as a rule lol) to give me a weekly target of 70.

The way i see it is someone names a challenge (sit ups, total cals burned, push ups, miles walked, whatever) and each participant names their target. Then they post to say how many they achieved - might be more or less than target, or might be bang on. If we had this as a rolling challenge, lets say over 4 weeks, and then started the same challenges again, the aim could be to beat your last achieved score.
    :drinker: thumbs up
  • DterMined2012
    Options
    I'd be in for a weekly challenge. I don't think I could get 3500 a week though. On circuit training days, MFP only gives me 244 calories for the circuit. My plan is 3 day circuit & 3 days cardio on the elliptical (weekly burn of 1500-2000 cals). I do everything at home & don't have a HRM so I have to rely on MFP's set burns for the exercises.
    trust me HRM shows less than MFP but of course it's more accurate!
  • RoseyK
    RoseyK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think a weekly challange is a good idea. maybe something simple in the beginning. I have degenerative joint disease so I have to be careful of what exercise I do.

( I broke a rib over the summer leaning over my neighbor's fence to cut her grass .... don't ask... it was so high, it was bothering me. It is amazing that I didn't fall over the fence... I was leaning over on my tippy toes with scissors in my hand)

Now that you all got a god laugh picturing that....

Maybe like walking/jogging every day.... or exercise videos... or weight lighting... or total calorie burn.
  • RoseyK
    RoseyK Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I like this idea.... A challange is presented and we each name our individual target.