decision

Options
Hi all,

I'm Lori and go for my 2nd weigh in on Monday. I'm still struggling to make a decision on which surgery to do. I have told my physician sleeve but I'm wondering if I should do the bypass..any info you can provide will be beneficial. Thanks

Replies

• VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I chose the sleeve because it removed the part of my stomach that makes me hungry and limits the amount of food into my stomach. I can't remember all of the details with the gastric, but I remember for me the sleeve was what was best. (In my opinion.)

So far I've had no major issues or concerns, so I am definitely happy with my decision. Good luck and follow your wishes.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I chose the sleeve because it felt like the most "natural" of all 5 surgeries. All it does is surgically reduce the size of your stomach. As it was explained to me, they remove the stretchy part of the stomach, so no more over eating. True, you can still out eat this and gain your weight back, you can with any of them, so the changes in food and exercise need to be life long changes. Also, I have 2 sisters and 2 cousins who had gastric bypass. All but one of them have gained some if not all their weight back. I actually told my doctore if I couldn't have the sleeve, I wouldn't do anything.

I've had minimal issues with the sleeve. Really the only thing I've reintroduced that I can't tolerate is black coffee. I can still drink it, but I have to have at least a little cream. The other things I haven't reintroduced are things I know I can't control myself with, like ice cream. And because that is a choice, I do not feel deprived. I just simply don't want to risk it when I know I had no control over it before. So over all this has been a very positive thing for me. I still have 93 pounds to go to "ideal" weight, so I'm not done yet. :happy:
  • themommyiwannabe
    themommyiwannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also chose the sleeve for a few different reasons. I didn't like the thoughts of them re-routing my insides (gastric bypass) or constantly having a foreign object (lap band) inside of me. With the bypass you have to take special vitamins for the rest of your life and you have a greater chance of becoming mal-nourished. With the sleeve, I take chewable over the counter vitamins, but no special vitamins. I know someone who had the lap band surgery done and it seemed liked she exercised her butt off to lose what weight she did lose and then she put it back on as easily as she lost it. I too felt of the three, the sleeve seemed more natural. I have had zero issues with my sleeve and I'm more than a month post-op.
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I chose the sleeve, because my doctor (surgeon) told me that it gives the exact same results as the bypass but without bypassing anything....I didn't want to re route my tubes and all that. I have a wonderful surgeon, he has done many surgeries on me in the past 7 years and I fully trusted him to know which one was the very best for me. I am so glad I did the sleeve, just wish I would have done it sooner. But it is something you need to discuss with your doctor as to which one is right for you.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I like my sleeve because as others said, they don't reroute your insides. It seems more natural. I also like it because by not rerouting my body should be able to obsorb nutrients better. Worse case scenerio they can convert the sleeve to RNY, but once the gastric bypass is done that's it.

I originally had Lap Band. Do not recommend that. It takes constant monitoring by your doctor. There is no one point that you say no more adjustments. Also, mine went defunct and I had to have it converted. Love my sleeve!!
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    i chose the sleeve because it suited me and my situation..there wasnt any fills or rerouting of anything; which to me seems like less hassle...i am almost 2 months post op and wouldnt change anything...if you go on youtube and search the different types of surgery you will be able to see others and their success with each one...it was and still is really helpful to me and my journey..hope all goes well with you...
  • pwbarton1
    pwbarton1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I chose the sleeve because it seemed less intrusive than a bypass. I have found that I can plan for days like Thanksgiving when the carbs are going to be had and have even worked in a small piece of birthday cake. My understanding of the bypass is you have a much lower tolerence for sugars. I go scuba diving and did not want to worry about pressures in a lap band.

I'm seven months out and don't regret it at all. My type 2 diabetes is on the run down to a single drug, blood pressure is now normal without drugs and I am almost off my lipitor. It still takes willpower, menu planning, label reading and a positive attitude to make it all work.
  • RunningGranny
    Options
    I choose the sleeve because it's less invasive than the bypass, theres no re-routing, and there are less complications. Several of my friends who have had the band have had to have the band removed due to slippage and erosion. They all converted to the sleeve. Discuss this with your doctor at length. Also find out how many of each procedure your Dr has done. His comfort level with each might dictate his decision. The sleeve is the newest of the three and he may not be comfortable with it.
  • Spunkielor
    Spunkielor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Today is a day of mixed emotions, I got my surgery date..January 30th. I'm feeling scared and anxious.
  • themommyiwannabe
    themommyiwannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are you going with the sleeve or did you change your mind?
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Today is a day of mixed emotions, I got my surgery date..January 30th. I'm feeling scared and anxious.

That's normal! I was too, but after all the emotion, and I'm not done losing yet, this is the very best thing I've ever done for myself! So what did you decide? Which surgery?
  • Spunkielor
    Spunkielor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am sticking with my original decision of the sleeve. I just feel like I have too many concerns with the bypass, absorption issues being the biggest. I am still concerned about drinking the protein shakes and the chewable vitamins as I have a terrible gag reflex and haven't found anything decent yet. I just got some unjury but haven't attempted it yet.