Blue tooth for the cellphone when riding?

Options
Has anybody used a wireless headset when riding? Has it been reliable? Is windnoise a big factor? Can I get away with the $20 cheapo or do I need to get the $140 top of the line? It seems like the expensive ones get just as many poor reviews... so I thought I would check with cyclists on this issue. Thanks.

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I ride to escape, but I do have a friend who uses one. He still stops to talk though so I'm not sure why he bothers. My guess is its the wind noise, I'll check.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I know nothing about bluetooth. I like to ignore my phone while riding. It's my time.
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just have one side of my headphones inserted so I know if a call comes in. I can stop and answer it. I only do this when I'm riding alone....the kids call me once in awhile. I'm not sure how you'd use an actual headset unless you don't wear a helmet. I have thought about getting a jabra clipper so I can be wireless. though...
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use the LG HBS-700 wireless stereo headphones. They are the 'in-ear' type and they don't go around the top of your head so they don't get in the way of my helmet. They work very well for music and for phone calls. I usually slow or stop for calls. I would be hesitant to do any urban street riding with headphones on. I live in a rural area and car traffic isn't an issue. They aren't real expensive and I've found them to be exactly what I was looking for. They control volume, play, pause, answering, and song selection from the headphone so I can leave my phone in my pocket or where ever it might be. Highly recommended!
  • dtpss188
    Options
    I would only have it in one ear and generally only accept calls from kids or wife. But when I know they need me I inevitably fumble out the flip phone and handle the call one handed - not safe! So, a one sided hook behind the ear unit would work. Basically, when I take a call on the bike it is an important one ie. kids or wife. There is no real ME time, with that said I get plenty of hard riding in and can best keep it up when I can make quick exchanges via phone with wife and or kids as needed. So again, I'll take all recommendations - positive or negative - regarding these units. Thanks for the info on the LG. Keep them coming.