I'm a bride to be who bought a dress too small.

Options
Hi ladies!!

It's been great reading some of the posts on here, I thought I'd add another one! First off, congratulations to all of us! In addition to planning a wedding which is stressful enough, getting in shape before the big day is as if not more stressful. At least for me, so far.

I've been on MFP since before I got engaged this past May. I lost 8 lbs before my engagement and have lost just about 5 lbs after (though the holidays have got my weight creeped back up a bit!). I'm trying to lose 5-10 lbs more.

I bought a wedding dress in August that is actually a size too small. I did it because it saved me about $1,500 and knowing myself, I knew I'd be trying to get in great shape anyways! I have my first fitting in 6 weeks and hoping the dress shall zip (and I can sit in it).

My wedding date is May 25, 2013. I'm hoping to get to my goal by minding my calorie intake, keeping up with the cardio every day, and strength training a few times a week. My major weakness is weekends when I hang out with friends and tend to have a few too many glasses of wine and french fries :(

Anyone else in a similar boat? Feel free to add me on here, too!

Best of luck to all;)

Replies

• Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! I didn't buy my dress to small because it needs to fit my boobs and I don't think they are going anywhere even with weight lost. Mine is a corset back so it's forgiving and can be tightened to adjust if I am that much smaller!
  • andreamessineo
    andreamessineo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me, too! It is slightly too big on top, but is 0.5 inches too small in the hips and waist. I bought it because I was larger than usual. I gained 10 lbs since moving to a new state, and am now back on track being active and eating right. I didn't want to size up because I'd prefer that most of the alterations happen with the designer instead of a local seamstress.

I texted my trainer asking if I could lose 0.5 inches in both hips and waist by July and she said that really wasn't too much. So, dress ordered!

It is great motivation to skip that cupcake or "special" meal (and with me, anything can be a "special" meal). I expect that the dress will actually be too big by the time it arrives.
  • tingtawn
    tingtawn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wish i had your courage! I was between sizes and was advised to order the bigger size, so I did, even though now i am regretting it. wish i would have went with the smaller- would have been an excellent motivator. oh well i know it can be altered to make it smaller :)
  • reenasamaan
    reenasamaan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wish i had your courage! I was between sizes and was advised to order the bigger size, so I did, even though now i am regretting it. wish i would have went with the smaller- would have been an excellent motivator. oh well i know it can be altered to make it smaller :)

I honestly would have ordered a bigger size had I ordered my dress! Instead I took the sample on the rack hence saving so much money! It zips up most of the way, just not all the way. Work to do!!
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My dress is too tight! I didn't want to order a larger size and have to take it in, so I ordered the same as the sample that is too tight. It zips, but breathing is optional right? LOL! My wedding is March 9th and the dress comes in on the 25th of January. I"m nervous because I haven't lost the weight yet. I can do it. I know I can, I've been doing it.

My weakness is wine as well so i'm going to cut it out until after the wedding. There might be a bachelorette party in the middle where i'll cheat but that's it.
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    my dress fit perfectly, like a glove, when I tried it on, so I ordered it in that size, but over the holidays I put on 5 lbs and I definitely didnt have any extra space in it, so these 5 will have to go in order for mine to fit again. The manager said they encourage people to buy a size up even if the sample fits bc it gets stretched out from people trying it on, and bc technically my hips measured at a size higher, but it fit sooo well that we just decided to go for it.
  • madamchoochoo
    madamchoochoo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mine fitted when i bought it but I put my back out just after and what with christmas and all those things im 11 pounds heavier than when i tried it on! Absolute disaster.... I know i can get it off and i'll be honest its a great motivator!
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Well my dress zips up, but it takes a little wiggling and lots of sucking! I have until July, I think another 5lbs will make it fit perfect! I've lost about 3lbs since I bought it, I know I can do it!
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    All of these are good to know! I haven't gotten my dress yet (my wedding is 10/13/13) so I have a bit of time, but I am contemplating ordering the dress a size smaller so that I have more time to lose more. I have another trial on the 22nd and I am hoping that I find the perfect dress then!
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I bought a wedding dress in August that is actually a size too small. I did it because it saved me about $1,500 and knowing myself, I knew I'd be trying to get in great shape anyways! I have my first fitting in 6 weeks and hoping the dress shall zip (and I can sit in it).

Best of luck to all;)

I'm curious, as to how your dress fitting went. Hope all is well...but don't stress too much, it can be taken out if you need it to, especially if it mostly does up.

I was married on March 9th and my dress fit. They actually had to take it in with some darts around my breasts because it was big there. I think though that is more because I'm only 5'1 and not because I lost weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/change_big_picture/8012011
  • MrsDouglas2U
    MrsDouglas2U Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress two sizes small..I've been working out twice a day on average m-f and ( i've slipped a few days ) and have 5 inches to loose of my back. I'm very gifted in the boob area so i'm not worrying about it not being able to zip b/c if worse case scenario i'll add a corset back to my dress HA ha.. but my actual goal is 30 lbs so that should be a problem.. after 1/2 wks of dieting i'm already down 4 lbs and loss 3 inches total
  • reenasamaan
    reenasamaan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, they had to let out my dress just a bit and then add cups because I didn't fill out the top part quite enough. It ended up zipping a few months after I bought it but it was too risky to try to drop weight or inches so close to my wedding which is now in less than 6 weeks. I've still been working out like crazy though trying to tone!

Best of luck to all;)

I'm curious, as to how your dress fitting went. Hope all is well...but don't stress too much, it can be taken out if you need it to, especially if it mostly does up.

I was married on March 9th and my dress fit. They actually had to take it in with some darts around my breasts because it was big there. I think though that is more because I'm only 5'1 and not because I lost weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/change_big_picture/8012011