Why Thank God? (my reply)

In case you missed it (which is likely because the mods were all over this one), here is the OP:
I've never understood how religious people can thank God for good things without cursing God for bad things. Some people just say it's God's plan, which is fine, but then why would you go around praying for God to change his plans?

This refers to people who believe in an all-powerful God who intervenes in human affairs, of course. And of course, that the God they believe in isn't some jerk who lets your crops fail because you didn't sacrifice enough virgins or whatever.

It doesn't make much sense when you think about it.

I'm not out to insult anyone's faith here - really just wondering. I know plenty of people believe in a God that simply inspires good in people, which I can get behind. And some people believe in a God of limited powers. But a lot of people thank God every time the weather is nice, which seems pretty crazy considering there could be a hurricane the week after.

I sent the OP a PM and told him I'll assume he was sincere and he really wanted an answer. This is my reply:

Since I believe that God made all things freely (meaning he didn’t have to make anything, including us), it makes complete sense to me that I respond to God with gratitude for all that I have. The desire to be grateful is especially strong when I see or feel good things. On the other hand, when bad things happen, I try to find some good result or try to focus on the good and continue trusting in God even when I lack full understanding. Perhaps the bad things that happen in the world are by-products of an overall “great” plan that is unfolding in our world. Think of your parents to whom you were probably sometimes grateful and at other times upset, angry or just confused by their actions or words. Maybe your parents were teaching you something very important but you lacked the maturity to understand it while going through it. I don’t think it is inconsistent or silly in any way for one who believes in God to give thanks in response to the good and persist in trusting in God when confronted with things that we have trouble understanding.

Regarding praying that God will “change his plans,” I never pray that way. I ask that “God’s will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” I certainly don’t ask God to change his plans but I do hope that what I ask of God will conform to his plans. In the final analysis, God knows what is best and I trust his wisdom.

On the other hand, I should emphasize that I believe God includes our prayers in his wise plan. In other words, prayer “matters” since God is pleased by our trust in him and our prayers express that trust.

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    A friend of mine posted on FBI once that she saw some guy on TV that said God allows people to suffer who are not holy enough or were bad. I had to really contain myself on this one because I wanted to scream! But instead, I said something like this. This can't be true! I know many people who have suffered that are very good people and even precious children. No, I don't believe he allows suffering because people are bad but because He has a greater plan that we are unable to understand yet. I also believe He suffers with us. he does not like seeing us in pain! Does He have the power to stop the suffering? Absolutely. But think of it like this. I remember the first time I took my first born son to the doctor to get his immunizations. I knew he would get shots and I knew he would feel pain for the first time in his short little life. But I also knew the shots would keep him healthy. Did I have the power to stop the nurse from giving the shot? Absolutely! But I allowed his suffering for the greater good. And it hurt me terribly! I suffered with him. Maybe our sufferings cause us to become stronger or to learn patience. We may not know now but I do know that God loves me and if I must suffer, He is there with me...every step of they way.
  • You guys are both totally right--- God knows and understands all things, including the future. Yesterday, He knew if, when, and how we would pray (along with every other detail of our lives), and He included it in His plan. God IS past, present, and future, and past, present, and future are all, for Him, happening RIGHT NOW. So He knows when you will pray, He knows when you are praying, and He knows when you have prayed. God loves each and every one of us, no matter what race or denomination. He always answers our prayers, though His answers might not always be what we want. He may have something better in mind for us, something we can't see right now, but always what is best for us, even if it is suffering, which can strengthenus and make us better people. :smile:
  • proudnana
    proudnana Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you for your response. I had never thought of the suffering we experience in terms of the suffering our children have when we take them for their shots. I took my first child over 27 years ago and still remember his pain and how much it hurt me to see him in pain that I allowed for his good. While that was just a moment in time and his pain seemed to ease fairly quickly, it still impacted me to where I can remember the scene as if it were yesterday. Those shots, as painful as they were, have kept him free of the childhood diseases that kill so many children in other countries.

How much it must hurt God when we suffer whether it be because someone else or we ourselves chose to act contrary to God's will and precepts or because it was just something that happened, like a tornado or car accident, but yet He is there to help us through the dark days either through our personal faith or by support from Christian friends and family who uphold us until we can stand on our own and regain our strength in faith.

I have had my own crisis of faith over the last few years as a result of serving with the army in Iraq and in New Orleans after Katrina. I also questioned God over the pain and loss of others and, eventually, began to question God about suffering I experienced as a child (delayed PTSD). My priest, my husband, my best friend, and a couple of church friends have helped me through this crisis while doctors helped me through the emotional and physical toll of my service. I am recovering from my 4th surgery since 2008, but am in a much better place emotionally. God has been so good to me and my family. I have 4 wonderful grandchildren whom I adore, a husband of almost 30 years who I know loves me and whom I love deeply, and 2 children who have turned out to be great young adults who love God and try to follow Him and teach their children about Him. Oh yeah, and 2 children-in-law's (well, young adults) that I'm still working to love as deeply as my children love them.

You have given me a whole new way to consider God's role, or seemingly lack of a role, in my personal or family suffering. Thank you.