New to Group, but not to Crossfit.

Options
I often hear from new crossfitters that they are not pleased with X. Y, and Z compared to others. They will get frustrated and often stop showing up because they are comparing their AMRAP rounds, lifting #'s, etc to everyone else. If you are one of these people (I'm often guilty myself) just stop and concentrate on you. What you need to realize is that everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. For example, myself. I'm a rather bigger guy at my box (200#) and compared to others my size my lifting #'s are about average. I'm often lifting the same amount of weight that a 185# is lifting. However, during long drawn out WOD's and workouts with running I will dominate. My lifting #'s are not where I think they should be, but I'm still PRing lifts so I'm not concerned. With dedication and time I know I will be where I want to be now. Just remember, do not to compete with others at your gym, but rather compete with yourself. Log your WODs and see the improvements you make and don't worry about others.

Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    AGREED!!!!
    When I step into the box, I look at the board to see what I should shoot for as a goal in reps, time, weight, etc but I know that in a lot of ways I cannot compete with the 17 yr old soccer star or the 200# women of my height in weight. My ultimate goal is to not have a weakness in CrossFit. I want to be able to master all the exercises, RX all the weights and improve myself.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Competing with others could make you work harder, if you have the right mindset.

I have my weaknesses and that is where I have to work on. I am really good with my strength #s but I have to keep working on it to get it to the next level. I don't let my pride dominate over me.

I want to promise to myself that I will keep exercising until the last person stop or finish his/her WOD, even I have finished my part. That will push me to the next level and it will encourages others to keep exercising with a true team spirit.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I try to live by the motto of " don't let the numbers do a number on you." When I have an attachment to an outcome rather than just participating in the process, that is where I feel the least contentment. For instance, before I knew about realistic goal setting, I came up with a laundry list of goals for 2011 that, in retrospect, were grandiose. The time line was too long, there was no plan, and the goals were set too high. The only plan was "do CrossFit". Well, at the end of the year, of about 15-20 goals that I had set for lifts, movements and WOD times, I did not hit a single one of them. However, I hit PR's over my 2010 metrics on just about everything. So what was the lesson? I felt disappointment with 15-20 PR's in 2011 which is ridiculous. As for the competition aspect of CrossFit it can be both motivational and intimidating. That aspect has brought out the best and worst in me and also led to an injury that is just now healing that has lasted over a year. But like Jendra said, "if you have the right mindset."

What works best for me now, is not not the short term thinking that I had when I started CrossFit but the idea that this is my lifestyle. That I cannot imagine a future that does not have CrossFit and/or other beloved fitness activities in it. PR's and stellar performances come and go. Motivation waxes and wanes and that is ok. I am just trying to be a better person through the rigors of our exercise plan and community of fit minded friends.
  • 300poundsdown
    Options
    This is great advice!! I've been at CF for about 6 months now and this is how I view it too. In the beginning, I would often feel depressed b/c I could not do what the others were doing. I almost quit and gave up b/c of that. Thank goodness I didn't!! Now I can look back and be amazed at my own progress and I can look around at my fellow CF'ers and revel in their accomplishments too!
  • stormchaser43
    stormchaser43 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First off, Hi Everyone! Not new to MyFitnessPal but new to the message boards. Started Crossfit about a month ago and I gotta tell you, I feel just like 300poundsdown.

Each night we enter in our numbers on the board and I am always the one with the longest time (haven't hit an RX yet.). It did get depressing but was often told by the trainers and other members that they were in the exact same boat when they first began too; so that has really helped keep me going.

I love it! We have such a great group of people who all motivate one another and my husband and I are able to do it together.

On a brighter note, I was able for the first time EVER to do 4 pullups!!! (in a row! - :laugh: ) When I first started, it was a struggle to do one!

So glad I found this group!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I am a former power lifter that is changing to crossfit. Been in it for 2 months now. The instructor and runners will say "Z, you make that look easy you should add more weight to the bar." I say, " Hmmm, you run really well without a struggle, you should add weight or run further." But they never do,lol. I'm 6'3" 245 lbs. Needless to say I am weak in stamina or the cardio part of crossfit.