Gluten-free due to Hashimoto's

Options
I am curious. Is anyone else gluten-free due to Hashimoto's diagnosis? This is all new to me and I am curious why the gluten-free directive isn't consistent from doctor to doctor. From what I understand, research that came out in 2012 points to a gluten-free diet helping to prevent inflammation in Hashi's patients.

Replies

• sometimes_blondie
    Options
    I have hypothyroid, I don't yet know if it's Hashi's, but even though my levels are normal I still have some symptoms once and awhile. I noticed a lot of people with thyroid issues having a lot of success with cutting out gluten, so I decided to give it a shot. Yesterday was my first day being GF and I feel pretty darn good so far. (I know it's too early to notice any real benefits, but I'm not crying over bread just yet!) I think the theory is that Hashi's and Celiac are both auto immune disorders and somewhat related.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    While I do not have Hashimoto's, I am sure it is an immune disorder. I have Celiac, which is an immune disorder. It might have something to do with that. Not to mention, 1 in 133 people are gluten sensitive. I think everyone could benefit from cutting out gluten. They way they grow and manufacturer wheat is horrible and probably causing all these odd immune disorders.

Give it a whirl, I have been GF almost three years if you need any advice on food.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I am GF due to Hashi's (I was diagnosed in Nov. 2012). My Dr. mentioned that GF may help me feel better but did not go in to detail. He referred me to a nutritionist which I will see this month. I don't know why GF helps but I can tell you that it does. I normally eat low carb due to other medical issues so cutting out gluten for my main meals is fairly simple since it's usually in carb heavy stuff. What I have difficulty with is snacks and treats. I have a handful of sugar free and low carb things that I LOVE and they keep me on track and most of them contain gluten. :frown: I love sugar free chocolates and low carb tortillas were a staple in my house but both have gluten. I have also discovered many seasonings and marinades that I used have gluten in them also.
    Anyway, when I am GF and following a low carb (carbs from fruits, veggies, and legumes only) I feel tremendously better. I am not as tired, my joints don't hurt as much, I seem to think more clearly, etc. I just feel better, much better. It's very hard to stick with some days but it is very worth it. I have read conflicting info on how long it takes to get gluten out of your system... anywhere from a week to a year but when I am diligent and cut out the gluten, I feel better within 2-3 days. The first noticeable improvement is my energy levels. I don't feel like a zombie.
    I am not always as committed as I could be. I have a bad sweet tooth and I cave in to gourmet cupcakes once in awhile and I can feel the difference almost immediately. I hope this helps. It's hard to hang in there but it's worth it.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I was also recently diagnosed with Hashimotos. My dr strongly recommended reduced carb and high protein for health and weight loss. I am going to try and follow that and see if I feel better.

Next week I have my blood draw for retesting after 8 weeks on a low synthroid dose. I really don't feel any different...so interested to see what my numbers are.
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would agree with mindyhenry74. I have Hashimoto's and was grain and GF for 6 months. I notice a change in 2-3 days as well and I finally had energy. I have been off the wagon for the past 2 weeks but have restarted today. Giving up coffee, sugar (honey and fruit included) and all dairy except for SCD yogurt. I just long to feel good again and feel motivated to start projects and finish them. For me it's psychological as well. I feel down on wheat and sugar.
    So here we go again. Good luck with GF!
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Also--just from my experience--all the GF foods at the store that are replicas of regular food are garbage. They might help people stick with it at first but in the long run there is so much junk in the food that it's like shooting yourself in the foot. Then again baby steps!!!! It's all good!