HELP

Options
Hi Ladies WELLL I just started MFP yesterday and I went to the gym and did really well, my goal wasn't to loose weight so much as it was to be fit and healthy, eat better and set a better example for my family. Well this morning I found out we were expecting baby number 3 which I am really excited about. I know I have to change my goals from loosing weight to gaining right? I don't know what workouts I should be doing to get in shape and keep the baby safe, and all of that! I need friends and supporters please!!! :)

Replies

• nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me. I am currently 25 weeks with baby #4. I have been eating healthy and working out doing walking/ jogging intervals, Zumba, yoga and ballet. I haven't been logging for the last week because I have had the flu, but hopefully I will be back on track soon. During your first trimester you don't really need to increase calorie intake. I would just focus on easting healthy. Make sure that you listen to your body, stay hydrated, and don't over- do your workouts! Good luck, and congrats on the new addition to your family
  • BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I agree with nursenikki...during the first trimester its not necessary to increase your calorie intake. Just make sure you're eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and eating back your exercise calories!

Have you been in the gym at all until yesterday? If you're just getting back into exercise, make sure to start slow. Walking, elliptical, v light weights, yoga, etc. Nothing too intense or strenious. If you've been in a routine for a while it's fine to continue it. Always best to ask your doc!
  • amandangreen52
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me. I am currently 25 weeks with baby #4. I have been eating healthy and working out doing walking/ jogging intervals, Zumba, yoga and ballet. I haven't been logging for the last week because I have had the flu, but hopefully I will be back on track soon. During your first trimester you don't really need to increase calorie intake. I would just focus on easting healthy. Make sure that you listen to your body, stay hydrated, and don't over- do your workouts! Good luck, and congrats on the new addition to your family

THANKS! I am just going to stick with healthy eating and staying active..I am just doing light jogging & the gym on base here has a pregnancy work out class I want to start up with! I just want to be fit and healthy & hoping that will make this pregnancy easier! With my first I was in really good shape and it was a smooth pregnancy but with my 2nd I never got back in shape..and it was a lot harder on my body! :)
  • amandangreen52
    Options
    Congrats! I agree with nursenikki...during the first trimester its not necessary to increase your calorie intake. Just make sure you're eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and eating back your exercise calories!

Have you been in the gym at all until yesterday? If you're just getting back into exercise, make sure to start slow. Walking, elliptical, v light weights, yoga, etc. Nothing too intense or strenious. If you've been in a routine for a while it's fine to continue it. Always best to ask your doc!
    YES I started back 6 weeks after my second son was born..and we went on a lot of vacations this summer so I kinda got out of it..and then i started back up and did insanity..and have been just lightly working out. when i started back yesterday it wasn't to really go crazy i just wanted to tone my arms and legs as well as just being able to go jogging everyday that was it BC insanity kicked my hiney!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hi there and congratulations!

I am not the model of anything at this point - I'm 19 weeks and have been having spotting issues for the past three (I was at the doctor this past Friday, and she looked up there and said all is well - I just have a "vascular cervix" that is prone to bleeding), but I'm on pelvic rest and have been instructions to take it easy and basically do no exercise other than easy walking or elliptical (blech).

Aaaaanyway, point being that unless your OB or midwife clears you to lose weight, you should not be losing weight. The guidelines most of us go by are the following:

1st trimester - set your MFP calories to maintenance
    2nd trimester - set your MFP calories to gain 1/2 lb a week
    3rd trimester - set your MFP calories to 1 lb a week

I hope that helps!
  • NicoleStarMiller
    NicoleStarMiller Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I went to my 1st doc appt I asked my midwife about exercise and how safe it was. She told me (along with all the other books and information I've found & read) that it's safe to exercise IF you've been exercising. For me, I'm a runner. I run 1-3 miles like nothing. So she told me I could do that as long as I felt comfortable. She said it was important NOT to pick up NEW exercises if your body wasn't use to them.

If you're JUST getting back into exercise I'd keep it light with a lot of power walking. And everyone is right, listen to your body.
  • Taes_Hunt
    Taes_Hunt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello there and Congrats!!!!

I also just found out we are expecting our 4th... I have been overweight since the 2nd, but worse off after the 3rd. I would love to have other pregnant friends so I can bounce ideas off of and we could encourage one another.
  • Taes_Hunt
    Taes_Hunt Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I am not the model of anything at this point - I'm 19 weeks and have been having spotting issues for the past three (I was at the doctor this past Friday, and she looked up there and said all is well - I just have a "vascular cervix" that is prone to bleeding), but I'm on pelvic rest and have been instructions to take it easy and basically do no exercise other than easy walking or elliptical (blech).

Aaaaanyway, point being that unless your OB or midwife clears you to lose weight, you should not be losing weight. The guidelines most of us go by are the following:

I hope that helps!

Take care of yourself!!! Hope you are cleared to exercise soon.
  • RBXChas
    Options

I hope that helps!

Take care of yourself!!! Hope you are cleared to exercise soon.

Thank you!
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options

I hope that helps!

Thank you for this! I have a question though- do you leave your current weight and start weight at your pre-pregnancy weight? Or do you keep adjusting that information as you gain?
  • RBXChas
    Options

I hope that helps!

Thank you for this! I have a question though- do you leave your current weight and start weight at your pre-pregnancy weight? Or do you keep adjusting that information as you gain?

I believe you use your pre-pregnancy weight, since not all of your weight gain is you (some is so-called "maternal fat," no joke).

Ladies, please correct me if I'm wrong... To be honest I need to log more! Gaining has NOT been a problem for me. I've just been trying to do my best and go with it without freaking out over the scale.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I thought maybe that was how it was supposed to be done! I also am having no problem gaining, and trying not to freak out. I have had a couple super sized pregnancy gains (90 lbs with my first!), and I don't want to repeat that. The big number jumps are scary, but I still want to make sure I am getting enough. :smile:
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Thanks! I thought maybe that was how it was supposed to be done! I also am having no problem gaining, and trying not to freak out. I have had a couple super sized pregnancy gains (90 lbs with my first!), and I don't want to repeat that. The big number jumps are scary, but I still want to make sure I am getting enough. :smile:

You're in good company. I gained 65 lbs, maybe more, with my first. I then lost 82, not counting the initial postpartum weight loss. I am 19+ weeks and still below my starting weight from last time, but those numbers are steadily going up. I've learned to just go with it. Even if I gain 65 lbs again, I'll still be much better off, plus I have all that breastfeeding/pumping knowledge (and failure) to help me hopefully succeed this time, which should help (and if not, so be it).

Edited for clarity

Gaining for pregnancy is temporary. What I do afterwards doesn't have to be! For now, I eat when I'm hungry, and I try to make good choices. I don't always, but I do my best.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm also pg with #3. I am 29w and still working out. I worked out and stayed in shape with the other 2, but this is the first one where I've tracked with MFP. I didn't add any calories to the first trimester and was able to maintain all my exercise routines. Bumped a couple of hundred calories for my 2nd trimester, used a pregnancy calculator to figure out exact number and then modified my custom goals to reflect the new amount. Same for my 3rd trimester. Just make sure to eat back your calories, because this is not the time for losing weight. I use my pre-pg weight for my calorie burn as well and do not adjust as I gain weight. You'll do fine. Listen to your body and live an active and healthy lifestyle! I have had to make adjustments to my strength training and I'm doing more swimming instead of running, but still being active is important as you progress!