saving money...

Options
are you doing anything to save money for your big day? If so, what?

Replies

• rayray1851
    rayray1851 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Um I need to know how to get abs like yours... sheesh.

I recently graduated college and got a job and the first thing I did was create a budget. I'm using most of my "miscellaneous" expense money on things for the wedding. My parents are paying for the big things, so I'm trying to buy the little things here and there to help out!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Also going by a budget.. putting a certain amount per pay check away (so is my fiancee)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I mean--like DIY projects? silk flowers? hand me downs? etc.
  • ajusteen21
    ajusteen21 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Always on a budget ;)

-I'm using my sisters vases from her wedding (and anything else that looks reusable)
    -Having a friend of the family do my catering and cupcakes
    -Using faux flowers, so I'll be making the bouquets and centerpieces myself
    -I've been buying trays from thrift stores with intentions of turning them into chalkboards to write menu/quotes etc on

I just don't think spending a ton of money on my wedding would make the day anymore special. My fiance and I are simple people so our wedding should be the same :)

-also I would rather drop the cash on my honeymoon!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    We're doing quite a few things

My mum's a dress maker so she's making all my dresses (and they look amazing, my dress is based on a £3500 designer one I tried on and fell in love with, and so far my Mum's half finished version is taylored and fits 10x better, plus we're using better quality silks than the imported chinese silk the shops use, I'm very lucky I love my Mum xxxxx)

Myself and my H2B both are graphic artists (animators really but we know how to mess about in photoshop) so we're designing are own wedding invites.

My very talented cake hobbyist sister in law 2B is making a funky *kitten* wedding cake that H2B designed :)

I have a friend who's only just graduated from a flower arrangers course who'll be doing my bouquets for cheap.

My mums also making some little favours with her sewing skills

I'll be doing my own makeup, and asking for very expensive bits of makeup as xmas gifts, I'm also trawling beauty forums for tips and getting a decent set of makeup brushes from E.L.F.

I bagged a pair of Filippa Scott Fifi "Lola" ivory silk shoes reduced from £130 to £20! on Amazon

For any Brits on here got the H2B's wedding ring from bettsmetalsales and signed up as a jewellery hobbyist so got his wedding ring at trade price! And it looks fab. Went for palladium instead of platinum as H2B doesn't give a damn about the presiousness of the metal and they look identical it also has the same properties as platinum (although a touch lighter) and is not as soft as white gold/need replating every few years. (that's something to keep in mind if you want white gold)

Also if anyone wants to give gifts we're asking for donations towards the honeymoon, although we are making a small wedding list of gifts to give to older family members who are funny about giving cash and would rather give something we can keep like champagne glasses etc :)

Oh I've also asked for wedding jewellery off the H2B for crimbo (although shopped for it myself lol) and found some fab solid white gold and blue topaz earrings at bargain prices on amazon and some gorgeous vintage pearl necklaces on ebay. x

Also we're getting wed in March which is about 30% cheaper for venue pricing here in the UK!!!!

Congrats BTW
  • bruazzi
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I much rather spend money on an awesome honeymoon destination then in 8hrs.
    Trust me I am super excited for my wedding, and want it to be awesome, but just trying to save as much as possible.

To save some money I:
    - purchased my dress on a bridal show, with designer dresses almost 50%
    - We are planning to cater our own wedding (this is a crazy idea coming from my fiance - I am sure scared)
    - Cheap venue - venues in DC are just RIDICULOUS. We looked for something not so much downtown and are saving tons!!!!
  • bootsandfros
    bootsandfros Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i'm making the centerpieces.
    we are using a website for rsvp and wedding info.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm doing silk flowers again (2nd marriage), making my card box, DIY programs, got my invites from VistaPrint since no one saves them anyway. Got my dress on clearance ($350!).
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i'm making the centerpieces.
    we are using a website for rsvp and wedding info.

Pictures of centerpiece inspiration...please!
  • lightweightdiva
    lightweightdiva Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My mom and I discovered that instead of buying a wedding cake for $2,000 that we could buy three large cakes from the same bakery for abou $350! This way we get three different flavors as well, and personally I could care less if it looks like a traditional wedding cake!
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My mom and I discovered that instead of buying a wedding cake for $2,000 that we could buy three large cakes from the same bakery for abou $350! This way we get three different flavors as well, and personally I could care less if it looks like a traditional wedding cake!

If you want it to be tiered, just get different sizes and stack them yourself! :)
  • Chocolate_Queen
    Chocolate_Queen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    We are planning on making our own invites.... not entirely sure on the how part yet though. We aren't doing save the date cards as they are a bit of a waste of time in my view. We've just told people the dates when we've seen them at Christmas.

We've also got friends doing our flowers and photography which has helped a lot.
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    - I just made my invitations using 2 kits I bought from Michaels on sale for $19.99 each. I spent some time working out the fonts and wording and printed them out myself which did take a lot of patience but hey they are wedding invites they are fun.

- For wedding favours I'm going to make sugar cookies that look like wedding cakes, bag them and tie them with a ribbon with tags I'll print out myself.

- center pieces the hall already has floating candle centerpieces that they have. I will be using them to save the money.

- I ordered silk flowers, I am getting my bouquet, maid of honour bouquet, 4 bridesmaids bouquets, 2 boutonnieres, 2 mother coursages and a throw away bouquet all for $250 including taxes.

- I'm not buying any flowers for decorations, not sure anyone but my mother will notice.

- I'm also going to make my own cake...most people think I'm crazy but I do bake normally just not stacked cakes. I've watched youtube videos on how to stack them properly using wooden dowels and my sister bought me the pans for a gift. I won't attempt to decorate it fancy, just icing it and use the ribbon on the seams at the bottom of the tiers.

- my bridesmaids are wearing their own black dress of their choice.
  • KMRose1788
    KMRose1788 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We are getting married outside, so after Christmas I went to buy white lights on MAJOR clearance, instead of having 2 bridal showers one is a craft shower to make stuff for the wedding and buying wine and beer from Costco. Costco weddings! Look it up, 20% of weddingpaperdivas.com, they even have dresses (not my style, but maybe yours!), all kinds of stuff. Also we are only doing beer and wine, no liquor because it increases the insurance cost, the bartender cost, the actual bar cost, etc. My mother in law is growing our flowers, and we are having a friends mother as our day of coodinator, also the wedding is at a private home of our neighbors so the venue is free. Also we rented the cheapest chair...who gives a rip? We want everyone dancing, not sitting around admiring the chairs.

When making choices (in between freak outs) I keep telling myself that none of it really matters that much, try to recall these minor details from other weddings you have been you...you can't remember! Don't feel bad cutting 'vital' things... they aren't that vital. Or so I tell myself all the time.
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When making choices (in between freak outs) I keep telling myself that none of it really matters that much, try to recall these minor details from other weddings you have been you...you can't remember! Don't feel bad cutting 'vital' things... they aren't that vital. Or so I tell myself all the time.

I agree. My mom keeps wanting me to add more details that she thinks don't cost that much, but $20 x 10 plus tax, or $2 per person adds up. Then keep adding more and more it gets outrageous. She even told me that she would buy flower centerpieces for my tables. I said no, because I'd rather her help me pay for what I want at the wedding, not a nice to have when the venue is providing floating candle centerpieces. Will people really care? I think not and if they do care then maybe I shouldn't have invited them.
  • shelleyparker39948
    Options
    To save money on flowers, I've considered purchasing my flowers for the tables in bulk and arranging them myself. I love hydrangeas and since they are already clumped, I thought I could just put a few stems in each vase on the tables. I will probably have a florist arrange the bouquets, though. Has anyone heard of a good venue to buy flowers in bulk?
  • lawyerette
    lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I planned everything that I was going to need and shopped online to find the best price for value. Then I waited for the Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales and got everything for a lot less. For example, our OOT canvas bags should have been ~$12/each with shipping. I got them for $2.50 each after shipping. I couldn't believe it! Don't despair if you need your stuff now, most sites rotate coupons every 4-6 weeks, so just sign up for their mailing list and wait for the right coupon. I also saved about 60% off our invitations and save-the-dates that way too.

**IF you're tracking a lot of items, it's best to have a list of the items and the price each (and how many you need). Then, figure out the last day you can buy them and back up 2 weeks (in case it gets lost in the mail). That's how long you can wait for the coupon. Ebates is also a great source of regular deals!
  • JacquelineEllen
    JacquelineEllen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have used craigslist to buy a lot of my decorations such as center piece glasses, lanterns, even Dress! I got the decorations used from weddings that were recently held for a great great price and i got my dress for half of the price, it was originally a 1200 dollar dress from House of Brides and it was my size. Also I am doing a lot of DIY projects for the boutiners and such
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options

Sorry, but how in the world could your wedding cake come to $2,000? We are going through a reputable, trusted baker and our is less than $600 for three tiers.
  • minkyrunner
    minkyrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For those using silk flowers, were are you getting them and what varieties? I looked at some, but hated them the second I pulled them out of the box -- and still hated them after letting them "breathe" for a few days, as recommended. Our floral quote is pretty good, but always happy to cut a few more corners and pennies!