Need Advice, please.

Options
I have PCOS, Irritable Bowl Syndrome, Diabetes, and Von Willebrands blood clotting disorder.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 12 (I’m 19 now) as I had to have cysts removed from my ovaries. I’ve tried many birth controls to help regulate the PCOS. Recently a OBGYN prescribed Metformin; however, since it caused trouble with my IBS he said, “I mostly like to do surgeries, so I don’t have time to mess with your meds.” Then he referred me back to my primary care—which doesn’t want to deal with it either. I’ve called every doctor within 50 miles and they all have the same response, “You have too many problems. I don’t want you as a new patient.” Has anyone else had this problem before?? Any idea’s what to do?

I am obese, but have been steadily working at losing weight in hopes of that helping with all the problems. In June 2012 I weighed 270 as of today (12-31-12) I weigh 240. Also in desperation, I’ve started taking vitamins on Dec 9 because I’ve researched that PCOS is a vitamin deficiency… and because I can’t get treatment from a doctor. What I’m currently taking is listed below. Has supplements helped you?? I don’t know which way to turn, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I’m not trying to conceive. I’m just trying to get all of my problems under control, so I can be healthy again. I'm at the end of my rope, though.

A VITAMIN 8,000 I.U. 1x Morning
B COMPLEX TR VITAMIN 100 MG 1x Morning
C TR VITAMIN 1,000 MG 1x Morning
D-3 VITAMIN 1,000 I.U. 1x Morning- 1x Night
E VITAMIN 410 I.U. 1x Morning- 1x Night
BIOTIN 5,100 MCG 1x Morning
FISH OIL 800 MG 1x Night
FLAXSEED OIL 800 MG 1x Night
BORAGE OIL 400 MG 1x Night

Replies

• kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Have you tried an endocrinologist? If you find a good endocrinologist they can help you get on track. I had many doctors that didn't understand PCOS and thought I just needed to lose weight. My endocrinologist helped show me how to lose weight. Sure, it's mostly diet and exercise but with PCOS fad diets are not going to work long term and are unrealistic. I have been on metformin for for many years and have worked through the IBS issues that can go along with taking metformin. I think there is even a time released version available. I take the regular kind and stagger my pills one every 5-6 hour. One thing is for certain metformin alone is not the answer. You must eat right and exercise regularly if you want to make major changes.

I recommended getting healthier before you conceive. I didn't and had a miserable first pregnancy - gestational diabetes, preclampcia, etc. and was on bed rest for the last two months. Not to mention that I needed the help of a fertility doctor to even get pregnant. Before I got pregnant for a second time I decided to make some serious lifestyle changes. I began exercising almost every day and tracking everything I ate on MFP. I worked very hard a lost 70lbs in ~ 1 year and wouldn't you know I got pregnant on my own. I was blown away when I found out because I wasn't even trying. This time around I somewhat enjoyed being pregnant :) No gestational diabetes or high BP or bed rest.

You've already already lost 30 lbs. That's a great start! You've proven that you are capable of making some major changes in your life. Now you just need to find a good doctor that can steer you in the right direction.

Good luck!