What are you doing to stay fit?

Options
sweetd_cali
sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
Just curious as to what Bay Area MFP'ers are doing. I'm not a running kind of gal, so I'm usually at the gym, doing DVD's at home, or walking my dog.

Replies

• blasian603
    blasian603 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hi there. i do the same as you. i take classes at the gym a few times a week and i do DVDs at home. i really tried to get into running, but after doing a few 5ks, i can't deny it any more: i truly DISLIKE running!! lol. wish i loved it, though. i'm told it's a really good way to stay in shape! oh well...different strokes for different folks! :)
  • uspp223
    uspp223 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    right now, halfway through insanity - and have not been doing anything else - when I did P90X, I still ran - after insanity, starting
    body beast" for 90 days - then on to a 90 day hybrid of P90X / insanity

so for me it's mostly at home dvd's and running when I can - i don't have a gym membership

although I have a group of friends that try to run the GGB once a month if our schedules work out-
  • sweetd_cali
    Options
    Blasian - lol I dislike running with a passion! I see people running all around campus, but I prefer walking.
  • blasian603
    blasian603 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @sweetd - lol...me, too. i can walk for days! :laugh: which DVDs are you doing? i'm doing turbofire right now. i really enjoy it. i was in serious beast mode when i first got it and was doing the DVDs in the morning and working out at the gym at night. but i got burned out really fast!! plus, that's another thing that i DISLIKE -- getting up in the morning!! lol. now i've been trying to fit in the DVDs whenever i can. lately it's only been on the weekends.

@uspp223 - how do you like insanity? how about p90x? which do you like better?
  • sweetd_cali
    Options
    @blasian - hahah, i'm doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. The first week is doing morning and night which was great but not sustainable. I know I have better results when I work out in the morning, but i'm not a morning person either! Getting it done at night is better than not at all right?!? My niece is a beach body rep, so I'm going to try Turbo Fire after I'm done with BR. I like Chalene (I've done a Turbo Jam DVD before). If you don't want to commit to a program, Jillian's 30 Day Shred is a good single DVD purchase. I just added you as a friend - I'm originally from Vallejo, living down on the Peninsula now. I notice you spell your name like my sister, Cyndi :)
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, I just jionedthis group. I usually do the same as you ladies, DVD's at home, gym, and I try to run but I just am not sure if I really like it. Another this I do is hike. The BAy Area has so many great places to hike!
  • sweetd_cali
    Options
    No worries - welcome!

What DVDs do you use?

I love walking, but hiking would be a fun thing to do. There's this place called the Dish right by Stanford that I've been meaning to walk, I just gotta get off my butt and do it!
  • distortedhero
    distortedhero Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Insanity seems to work for me. My metabolism is on fire!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    It's winter, so the long drive to Tahoe every weekend for snowboarding. :)
  • jereneyz
    jereneyz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love figure skating, so I do that twice a week at the San Jose Sharks Ice. It is really nice and empty on weekday mornings. I do about 2 hours every session. Once a week, my company organizes a yoga class. On the other days, I will do Denise Austin's fat blast cardio workout (50 mins). It's really fun! When I don't have time, I'll do her 20 minutes fat burn cardio instead.

I really detest running too. In high school, I had to run 1.5 miles every single day, and I really really hated it. So I haven't been running for a while. But I hope to get the motivation to run once in a while because it really gets my heart going.

I'm really hoping to take up some Zumba classes! How is Zumba for weight loss?
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I hike, lift weights and do the treadmill this time of year (dang it) since it gets too dark too early for me to hit the streets. Right now, I am working with a Zero to 5K app in preparation for a 5 K by March.

I work at a school and several of us are shooting for the same goal.. but I'm the only Grandma in the mix.. :):laugh:
  • tsherrill
    tsherrill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm walking, trying to get back to the gym, and hoping to add some zumba. I'm also contemplating adding "Run Zombies " to my phone to encourage more midday fun.
  • Random1523
    Random1523 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am playing soccer again. Something I used to do in college. I also go to the gym. Did anyone do the body media thing? I got it and I am trying to figure out how that thing works. Any advice.
  • zubinanary
    zubinanary Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do one of three things when time permits

(1) I try to go on walks with my kids to hit my 10,000 steps recorded on my Withings Pulse The closest I've been is around 8500 steps, so almost at my goal of 10,000 steps per day.
    (2) I try to take them on a hike on Sunday mornings.
    (3) I take about 5 hours every other sunday and go on a 40 to 50 mile bike ride up and down Iron Horse Trial (Dublin to Concord and back).