Praying for Your Candidate

Options
One of my atheist friends asked me this today: "If you prayed for your candidate to win, how'd that turn out for you"? I tried explaining that he doesn't understand how the whole praying thing works. This is my reply to that question:

I like Abraham Lincoln’s famous response to the person who asked him if he thought God was on the “side” of the north or the south in the Civil War. He said something like, “I just hope we are on God’s side.”

I think prayer is primarily an act that acknowledges God as supreme and not a way of coercing God to do what we want. God has a much greater perspective and plan in mind than we know and therefore we must always humbly acknowledge that what we pray for may not “fit” with that larger perspective. Sort of like a parent who must “make” his/her child do things the child does not want to do and the child just has to trust that the parent knows best. Our human perspective is so limited that our prayers must always include a sense of our ignorance of God’s larger purposes and a basic trust in God’s greater wisdom. That being said, we believe God is pleased by our prayers and that they are instrumental in God accomplishing his purposes but those purposes may not be exactly what we envision.

What do y'all think? How would you answer that question?

Replies

• joepat21
    Options
    God gives us the free will to either choose the right path or the wrong path. My family and I said the 54 day Novena to the BVM but the election didn't turn out as we had prayed it would. That doesn't mean that God didn't hear our prayers, it just means that he's going to let man decide his fate. I believe that God has blessed my family with his graces and will guide us correctly if we keep our hearts open and continue to serve him. I pray that others in this country will open their hearts to God and recognize what is truly right and what is ultimately wrong.

I know that there are a lot of good people in this country. Hopefully we can reach out to those who have gone astray and help guide them back to God's flock. I would hope someone would do that for me if I needed it.
  • pumpkinoodle
    pumpkinoodle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Amen to both of you! I totally agree. God did not make us to be dutiful, obedient, robots. God made us PEOPLE with raw emotion and the power to exercise free will.

To answer your atheist friend, I would say something list this...

"Well it turned out great for me, because I recognize what's happening here is only temporary. Once I get to Heaven, I won't need to worry about whether my leader is trustworthy or not, a flawed electoral college system won't even exist AND I will be in an environment where everyone truly is EQUAL."

or

"It turned out great! It may not have been what I personally wanted, but I know God has a plan for this country that extends beyond what any mere President could even attempt to do in his lifetime."

Then again, I'm kind of snarky with my atheist friends. My atheist friends just seem to be so negative and "anti" all the time.
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    They were great responses and hopefully helped him to ponder it more; it's good to engage him in a dialogue - maybe that will get the Holy Spirit working in his mind & heart. We can only hope maybe one day he will realize what he's missing.

One thing I try to remember is that we as human's could never grasp the magnitude of God's perfect plan...though I know I am always trying to and then reminding myself it's not for me to understand but to be obedient and faithful. (course that doesn't stop me from trying anyway) :happy: That's what you eluded to Patti which I agree with wholeheartedly. God's plan is perfect and we humans just don't have the intellectual capacity that God does to even comprehend it; no matter what we're just not smart enough when it comes to the things of God...we are what we are by the openness we have to God's grace.

I remember in 1 Corinthians 1:25 it says - "For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength." (I often have to remind myself of this)

So what do you think motivates others or drives them to think that there is no God? I've never read the entire Summa Theologica of St. Thomas Aquinas but have read the Five Ways...have you ever thought of presenting any of that or is it a bit too heady - probably if the thinking isn't logical anyway?
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I'm going thru posts to see if anyone ever posted their favorite catholic websites and ran across this thread. I've been thinking lately we should be praying that our elected officials have the good of the governed firmly in mind,
  • chloecats
    chloecats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I guess you're talking about politics, right? I don't know about you guys but I pray for every politician to turn to God and do their best. I think politicians need prayers more than most people. They have so much more responsibility for people's suffering than regular people do, even if in reality they can't change much. I pray that their spiritual journeys go well more than anything else. Spiritual matters are more important in the end than earthly ones.

In regards to atheism, it's an extremely easy position to hold in this modern day, far easier than trusting in God. I encourage any atheists who ask me what to do to "find God", so to speak, to do what I did (I'm a recent convert): first think on your sins, and repent of them humbly and honestly. All people know in their hearts what is right and what is wrong, and all people sin, so even an atheist can do this, though the "humbling yourself before God" part would take a lot of courage. Then pray, and read the Bible, and maybe start going to Mass, preferably with a friend who can explain the theology behind it. (Otherwise, they'll just go away thinking how strange Catholics are for being so reverent towards the Host and Precious Blood, even if they've had success with prayer!) I think the Mass is really what brings everything together. Until you take time out of this secular world to surround yourself with others who have shared your experiences with prayer, and have also put their trust in God, it doesn't necessarily feel "real", even though God is the most real thing in the world.
  • Self_Control_Freak
    Self_Control_Freak Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like what Patti says about prayer. Many people despair of praying because they can't seem to figure out how to get God to do the things they want him to do. That's what they mean when they say that it seems like he doesn't "hear" their prayers.

But that misses the point of prayer altogether. Prayer is not a tool we use to change God.

It is a tool God uses to change US.