Hi, ladies! New here.

Options
Katy_G2013
Katy_G2013 Posts: 70 Member
My name is Katy, I am 26 years old and have been diagnosed with PCOS for approximately 10 years. I am here to lose the weight I have gained due to PCOS and without medication. I no longer take Metformin or birth control. I know it is going to be rough, but I know that I can do this and in the end will be better off. Would love to get to know you all.

I am also a mother to 2 beautiful girls, Ryleigh - 3 yrs and Raegan - 2 months. Getting pregnant wasn't easy, staying pregnant was even harder. I've suffered one miscarriage in between my 2 girls.

Replies

• LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Welcome here. I understand the gaining with PCOS, I am trying lose my weight as well. It is hard but it is doable. I am current on meds for my PCOS, I couldn't handle many of the side effects, plus my doctor feels it is best for me right now with all my other health issues. No kids myself, yet, but that is my motivation to keep on losing. You can add me if you like.
  • Andriss
    Andriss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm also new here. I've been looking to hear about others with PCOS with their successes and hardship with this syndrome.
    I was diagnosed in 2004. Been overweight my whole adult life with no children yet. My husband and I have done many rounds of fertility treatments with no success. I've tried clomid and other meds along with metformin. Haven't given up hope yet and I joined this to learn more and share my experiences with PCOS.

When I research PCOS online with meds or treatments most of the info and doctors are in the USA or U.K and I am in CANADA. I hope to find more resources in Canada. If anyone has any info to offer I would be so grateful!

I have learned that PCOS is an insulin resistant syndrome and that has an enormous impact on how we process food. Anything we eat (even a salad and good foods) processes at less than half capacity. Insulin receptors are low in PCOS people and 25-35% only is processed properly through our systems and the rest just gets stored to fat. This is the number one reason we have a tremendously difficult time losing weight. I am on a mission to find out how to change this and educate others so we can fight this together.
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    Welcome! We have a very supportive group of women here. I am 25 and also not on medication or the birth control pill, and I'm not currently TTC but I did have one miscarriage, like you. Most of my issues are with excess androgens (acne, hair loss) rather than weight, but there are a lot of women on here who are trying to lose weight, trying to conceive, the whole 9 yards. I suggest going to the " PCOS ladies" post and reading through it... Lots of introductions on there, and you'll find lots of great ladies to be friends with.
    Best of luck!
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Hello,

please feel free to add me and I will do my best to support you. :)
  • Katy_G2013
    Katy_G2013 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the welcome!

I have learned so much about my body since being diagnosed. I only wish it were not such a difficult process for us to lose weight and keep it off. What type of diet do you follow as far as macros? Also, what exercise do you all find helps you the most? I know my endo suggests cardio which I do get a lot of, but I'm also starting with weight training now as well.

I will tell you all more about my journey when I have more time -- it is almost time to go home for the day where I will be spending time with the family. :)
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Super low carb and lots of cardio worked for me....but due to how low I went on carbs I started getting horrible leg cramps and muscle spasms. So I quit everything and gained a bunch back. I am back at it with low carbs. If I have the same issues I am going to contact my dr.

As far as fertility, I was on Clomid for years. Literally! Over 5 with my youngest alone. I suggest the OVWatch to everyone I know with fertility issues. Takes away do much of the stress!