Calories calculated?

Options
dinomomma
dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
My mfp calories were calculated really low and my friend showed me a site that uses your tdee calories needed and calories needed for nursing and my tdee and nursing amount needed were pretty much the same but 1000 over my mfp calorie amount, what calorie amount are you guys using? I don't want my supply to tank.

Replies

• Marisgoals
    Marisgoals Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I will not do anything lower that 1300 but I have heard its what ever your calorie intake is and then you add 500..
  • dinomomma
    Options
    Thank you
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I add about 500 a day for nursing my 19 month old which puts me at 1900-2000 calories a day.
  • dinomomma
    Options
    Thanks!
  • sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been eating between 1700-2300 calories a day since my son was born in February! My midwife told me not to eat under 1800 calories while nursing. I have no problems eating that much and on the days I work out I happily eat even more. :) This approach totally works for me as I have lost a ton of weight since February.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding burns 20 calories an ounce. I was getting 30 to 35 ounces a day so I created an exercise to show exactly what I got....

So MFP said I needed 1200 calories... add 600 for breastfeeding and 300 for my walking/cleaning etc... I was running about 2,000 a day.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I use the 20 calorie per ounce measures, becaus my baby is still really small about 7 lb, so she only eats 16-17 ounce a day.
    I set my calorie goal to 1750 calories a day PLUS breastfeeding. Right now that gives me roughly 2100 calories a day.
  • dinomomma
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • aefallis
    aefallis Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone. Don't go below 1800 so your supply won't tank. I tried 2000 when I first started back in September and it my supply dropped considerably. My goal is set at 2350 right now. I was going by the 20 cals per ounce thing but that but my goal up another 150 calories so a few days ago I recalculated and just added back 500. I'm so confused with how many you should add back in. So many sites say 300-500 while others say 20 times x ounces. Since your little one is a older you may be able to get by with the goal you have set right now. If its not working in a week, try upping it 50-100 calories (repeat).
  • hollyferweda
    Options
    This is a cool site:
    http://www.fourfriends.com/cgi-bin/milk.pl?lbs=16&oz=&feed=6&formula=" newwindow=
    It's been posted on this forum before, but it helps you see how many ounces of breastmilk your little one is eating, then you multiply that by 25= how many more calories you need to eat. There is a "food" in MFP called Breastfeeding and 1 ounce =25 cals. I'm eating 2300, which doesn't include my exercise calories...it's a LOT of food, but it really does help you to lose!
  • dinomomma
    Options
    This is a cool site:
    http://www.fourfriends.com/cgi-bin/milk.pl?lbs=16&oz=&feed=6&formula=" newwindow=
    It's been posted on this forum before, but it helps you see how many ounces of breastmilk your little one is eating, then you multiply that by 25= how many more calories you need to eat. There is a "food" in MFP called Breastfeeding and 1 ounce =25 cals. I'm eating 2300, which doesn't include my exercise calories...it's a LOT of food, but it really does help you to lose!
    That site is really neat!!!
  • dinomomma
    Options
    Agree with everyone. Don't go below 1800 so your supply won't tank. I tried 2000 when I first started back in September and it my supply dropped considerably. My goal is set at 2350 right now. I was going by the 20 cals per ounce thing but that but my goal up another 150 calories so a few days ago I recalculated and just added back 500. I'm so confused with how many you should add back in. So many sites say 300-500 while others say 20 times x ounces. Since your little one is a older you may be able to get by with the goal you have set right now. If its not working in a week, try upping it 50-100 calories (repeat).
    She's older but nurses a lot and isn't a big fan of solids most days.