Over-feeding

Options
PanteraGirl
PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
Hi Ladies...I'm new to this group and have a few questions.....

Is it possible to over-feed while breast feeding? I feed on demand right now and give her what she wants as I'm solely boob feeding and not pumping.

Some people have told me to put her on a schedule...however I do not agree because I don't know how much she is getting during each feeding so how could I deny her food because its not "time" to feed. She is only two months old. We have not given her a pacifier yet either so sometimes she will suck for comfort, but I pull her off when I notice she is not eating.

I'd like to hear some opinions please. Thanks :flowerforyou: And have a safe and happy new year!

Replies

• redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    There is no such a thing as over feeding an exclusively breastfeeding baby. You seem to figureed it already as you doing it right.
    Also no pacifier is a good move in the first 6 weeks., becaus they may aus nipple confusion if BF isn't established yet. However if you ever want to give y our baby a paci , it is a right time to introduce it now.
    I din't give pacifier to my first baby until he was almost 5 months old and started to teething. At that time I wanted to give him something to soothing, but he refused it. Later I read that most babies do not take paci or bottle ever if they were not introduced to it in the first 2-3 months.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I agree with redheadmommy! Oh and i've found kellymom.com to be very helpful for all my bfeeding questions, you may want to check it out :)
  • shaleigh07
    Options
    I fed on demand with my 2nd baby. She ate every two hours! She also developed reflux and her doctor told me I was over feeding her & if I cut down on some of her feeding it would help her reflux. With that being said, if your baby isn't spitting up more than "normal" I'd say your not over feeding. Also, she hated the pacifier as well so I think that's why I had more problems with her than my 1st. Good luck!
  • sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    IMO, you cannot overfeed an exclusively breastfed baby. I have a 2 year old and a 10 months old. I have nursed both of them on demand. I am still nursing my younger one. When he is hungry, he nurses. When he is not hungry, he does not nurse. It is as simple as that! :)
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Nope! Feeding on demand IMO is how babies should be fed, why would you deny your child food? Unfortunately not all doctors are informed on breastfeeding. Kellymom is a great site as are la leche league!
  • Marisgoals
    Marisgoals Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the ladies you are doing the right thing I am still breast feeding my 1 year old and hes eating on demand...
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Follow your gut mama, there is no such thing as over-feeding an EBF baby! Keep doing what you're doing sounds like you have it under control :)