New Vegan

Options
Hi, everyone. I am Jasmina and just started MFP about 2 weeks ago.

I never really watched what I was eating before, but my weight increased over time. I really want to lose weight and keep it off. My husband is vegan and I decided to become one, too. I started being a vegan about 3 weeks. It has been a big change from eating everything to limiting myself to certain foods. I wanted to be a vegan to lose weight, but mainly to be healthy. I want to make friends who can encourage me.

Replies

• redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for making the decision to put your health first. Hope you enjoy being vegan. There are a lot of resources and websites out there with recipes and advice.

http://vegweb.com/

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/default.aspx

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/vegan.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/HQ01596

And of course MFP!
  • JasminaH89
    JasminaH89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I checked some of the sites and I am loving it. Thanks for taking the time to post these.
  • vegan444
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and Veganism.
    I've been vegan for 6 1/2 years so far. The first month or two are always the hardest but you'll get used to it. You'll learn what ingredients to look out for, what restaurants have vegan options, where you can find the best dairy/egg/meat substitutes, you'll find recipes. After that it just becomes habit.
    I went vegan for animal rights reasons, but I'm so thankful that I did. Now that I'm focusing on my health I'm grateful that I'd been following such a healthy diet. Don't get me wrong, there are ways to go wrong (I started dieting in February at almost 300lbs) but I wasn't able to do as much damage as I would have if I'd been able to eat everything that's out there!
    There are a lot of people on here that are more knowledgeable than I am, but feel free to message me if you have any questions about being vegan or need any support. :o)
  • RocksFlower
    RocksFlower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am newly Vegan too! I am enjoying the change however I have concerns about how easy this transition will be for me. I am the only vegan in the family and am concerned how I will make this change balance with my life. But, it will just have to happen and I am looking for any vegan friends that can help with any advice. If you are looking for friends feel free to add me :)
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It gets easier for sure! Some great recipes I found (not all healthy, but fun!), search the vegan zombie on YouTube.

Also, some tips I learned when I first started was go down to bottom of ingredient list at the allergen area to say if it contains,milk, eggs etc
    And I'm pretty sure if the nutrition label says it has cholesterol, it has animal product in it.

Correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Congrats on your choice!
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It gets easier for sure! Some great recipes I found (not all healthy, but fun!), search the vegan zombie on YouTube.

Also, some tips I learned when I first started was go down to bottom of ingredient list at the allergen area to say if it contains,milk, eggs etc
    And I'm pretty sure if the nutrition label says it has cholesterol, it has animal product in it.

Correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Congrats on your choice!

Yup, cholesterol is a definite indicator of animal byproducts.

And you, Mr Moverfieldll are adourable >.>
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Welcome to healthy veganism! Some of us are new, like you and me, and some are more experienced but we all encourage each other. Just remember to eat fruit and vegetables every day and that takes up some of the space you would fill with junk. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • _Obsession_
    _Obsession_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of veganism!!!

I have been vegan for a year now (veggie for 15) ..... feel free to add me if you need help weight loss or vegan. I could always use some extra friends for encouragement too. I am vegan for ethical reasons ..... but my health is so much better!!!!! My asthma has cleared up and so has my skin and my overall energy levels have perked too. Weight wise it is also an advantage not to be able to snack on all of those high calorie nibbles.

Welcome to a healthy new lifestyle choice!

P.S after 3 weeks you tend to loose most of your cravings for junk food too x
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip on when cravings subside. I was raw vegan over the summer ... Except for snack attacks. Yeah, Huge Except.

Going thru detox with lots of healthy, organic veggies and fruits.

anyone have a fav homemade salad dressing that does not contain oil. I really don't need the fat at this early stage.
  • DinahCakes
    DinahCakes Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip on when cravings subside. I was raw vegan over the summer ... Except for snack attacks. Yeah, Huge Except.

anyone have a fav homemade salad dressing that does not contain oil. I really don't need the fat at this early stage.

Mcdougall website or books can help u on the "no oil salad dressing" front.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Mcdougall website or books can help u on the "no oil salad dressing" front.

Second on Dr McDougall's website also try the fat free vegan blog.
    My personal favorite dressings are fresh salsa, or 3 parts vinegar, 2 parts mustard (dijon) more or less to taste, 1 part maple syrup or agave I use different vinegars to change it up (fruit flavored ones are awesome)
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I just started the Vegan lifestyle on November 18th. I am still learning and I could use more vegan friends, Feel free to add me. The hardest part for me has not been the food restriction but the comments and biases from friends and loved ones. Hopefully, we can motivate each other. :smile:
  • qaw00r
    qaw00r Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Great tip on Vegan Zombie. Just checked out 3 videos and subscribed. He's freaking hilarious!
  • grn_machine
    grn_machine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm also a fairly new vegan (Since May 2012). I find that social situations are the most difficult because of the negative comments toward my personal choice. I'd love some vegan friends on MFP! =]

I also have a hard time eating well. I don't eat a very balanced diet, and it would be great to learn from others on here.