First week of Gluten-Free

Options
Hi everyone! My husband and I just started a gluten-free diet on Saturday, Dec 29th. He was diagnosed with IBS about a year and a half ago and was put on pills. However they never really helped him with his symptoms. Just recently I came across gluten intolerance and all the symptoms mentioned, my husband said he had. So we decided we would try this diet to see if they would help him before seeing a doctor. So far, after just a few days, he can actually see an improvement (not going to the bathroom 5+times a day, not a lot of gas and bloating etc). On NYE he did have 2 buns, but everything else was GF. He immediately started getting gas, so we're pretty sure this diet is right for him. He also lost about 2 pounds since starting. I made sure to monitor his calorie intake since most gluten free products are extremely high in calories. Anyhow, if anyone else on here is eating Gluten Free, I would love to become friends and exchange food ideas and such :)

Replies

• akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Welcome to a healthier life. I have Celiac Disease and been GF for almost three years. My Dad battled for years with IBS and finally after much nagging, gave up wheat. His IBS cleared up in a week. No one needs wheat in their life.

Let me know if you have any questions or meal ideas. I live on a strict diet of no wheat, barely or rye.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've be GF for almost 2 years. It's amazing how much of a difference cutting it out can do for you. Good luck with your new lifestyle!! And welcome to finally feeling better. :)
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free since September 30, and I feel so much better!

My resolution is cook more, so I'd love to share food ideas! Feel free to add me as a friend! I log in daily and my food diary is available.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 85 of GF.... I've had my slip-ups here and there which led to some sickening (literally) set-backs but even without doing much exercise I've lost 12lbs by going GF alone.

For the most part, I just literally stopped putting all that bad processed crap in my mouth, and it's paying off.

He'll feel better as each day goes by... do your homework though, gluten is everywhere.... but I feel better each day... hopefully he will as well! :)
  • melisa35158
    melisa35158 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I put my daughter on a gluten free diet a year ago because of her slow digestion and constipation issues. I finally came around and decided to do it too. This is day 3 for me. So far so good! I really don't miss out on anything. My daughter is happy to have a gf buddy!
  • rrothwel
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/833151-first-week-of-gluten-free#

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease about 4 years ago. Going g-free was extremely hard, especially since I was away at college and had to rely on the school dining hall for most of my meals. But it can be done! I would recommend eating things that are naturally gluten free (fruits, meats, nuts, veggies) rather than trying to replace the gluten with substitutes. The gluten-free bread products can be very pricey and very high in calorie. That said, sometimes you just need that chocolate chip cookie and there are plenty of delicious gluten free options these days!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Feel Free to add me - been diagnosed for over 20 years as a Coeliac. Cook most things from scratch as we also have other allergies in the family.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have been gluten free for 2 years!
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, but have been gluten free for 8+ years. My advice is don't try to substitute just eat things that are naturally gluten free. I was diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis. After being gluten free for 6 months (which made me feel 10 years younger) I realized that I was also intolerant of dairy, soy, and corn. I cook all of my own meals.
  • housewifemandi
    Options
    ive gone gluten free off and on over the last several months, but my new year's resolution was to STICK with it! i love how much better i feel, and the INSTANT weight loss doesnt hurt either ;)
    feel free to add me, im brand new to mfp.