Small Steps!

Options
I have always heard that making small steps is the best way to stay with this long term-

What small steps are you taking- or if you are able to do everything at one (diet overhaul and exercise and give up pop/sweets) then what are your secrets.

Thankfully, I'm not a pop drinker, so that's no big deal but I LOVE junk food, I will admit I tend to binge on it. 90% of the time it's not even emotional, but more just that it has tasted good in the past so if I see it I want it and I won't stop eating it until it's gone. I wish I could get rid of everything unhealthy in the house but that's my DH's go to foods. He will not eat 'bird food' as he calls it.

My biggest small step is going to be tracking- even if I'm not doing perfectly or have a binge. I tend to just skip counting or writing it down if I have a 'bad night' but I really am going to go out of my way to get my butt on here and write it down. Maybe if I see how much it cost me it will slow down.

What are your small steps?

Replies

• dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My biggest small step has been ... Until I can control myself like having one serving of Doritos I do not allow it in my house or anywhere within a 10 mile radius! Completely eliminating the problem until that food is no longer a "trigger" (is what we call it) food for me has worked! Just the other day I was able to have 1 serving of Doritos its working!!

Deff log! Wither you log it or not your body is logging it so you might as well have a complete clear picture of whats working and WHATS NOT!

Also making your diary public may help you? Bc we (well you know I will) keep you accountable for every cheeto, every poof, every chip! crapp now I want to munch :grumble:
  • Cindy4866
    Cindy4866 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree you have to log or at least I do. If I don't log it is like I didn't eat it. I wasn't planning on staying within my 1200 calories around Christmas but then when I logged guilt would kick in (plus people would be able to see it on the feed) so I stayed within my calories.

So far I haven't added exercise but I have told myself I will start riding my recumbent bike tomorrow and then once the weather in Illinois improves and we can ride outside my son Paul and I will start working toward his cycling merit badge.

Love having the support of this group!
  • mdb3383
    Options
    My small steps for at least this month are -

1 - tracking! I have to track. Normally I would track for a few days, then have a bad day and not track that...then soon enough I wasn't tracking anything. So even the day I went over by a thousand calories got tracked last week (as painful as that was =(

2 - cutting out soda. This will probably take all month for me to deal with. I am so addicted to coke. So even if I have a soda, it probably will never be coke. It's such a trigger for me!!!

3 - exercise. It doesn't matter if it's only 15 minutes a day, I just need to get moving =)

And I also am trying really hard to keep talking about it. On here, on BBC, to my DH, etc... I hate how much I weigh so I tend to shy away from talking about losing weight. But I know the more I talk about it, the harder I will try =)
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Right now my small steps are:

1) Stop eating junk food. I am doing pretty good. I still have junk food in my house but haven't touched it for almost 2 weeks now. I have 3 packs of Oreo's in my cabinet right now. I use to use 5-6 cookies every night.
    2) Track everything
  • AJones1021
    AJones1021 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My small steps for January are:

* Switch to water. No more Coke! I'm another one who has a soda problem (almost wrote coke problem...lol). So, I switched over to water at home and work and had a headache for three days! But now, I'm feeling much better!!

* Log everything. I'm not trying to stay below the calorie/macro levels, I am just logging to make it a habit! Naturally, by watching what I'm logging, I tend to stay around or under the calorie levels, so that's a bonus.

I physically wrote out my goals and the steps I want to take to get there in my journal yesterday, I hope with that reminder, I'll be more successful when I start to veer off track!
  • careree22
    careree22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My small step is to just MOVE! I work at a desk and would usually go home and sit! I just want to move around and excercise. For me loosing weight is not about how I look, I know i look good haha :P I just want to be healthy... i am only 22 and 100lbs overweight... I need to excercise in order to be healthy!
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My small step is to just MOVE! I work at a desk and would usually go home and sit! I just want to move around and excercise. For me loosing weight is not about how I look, I know i look good haha :P I just want to be healthy... i am only 22 and 100lbs overweight... I need to excercise in order to be healthy!
    I'm the same way. I use to be able to go out to other buildings @ work so I wasn't always at my desk but it's been slow. I've been trying to just get up and take walks about once an hour. May not seem like much but at least it gets me up and moving.