My Treadmill Challenge

Options
Hey. So I created a treadmill challenge for myself and I just thought I would share.

I'm a big fan of the author Nora Roberts. She owns a luxury bed and breakfast in Maryland called Inn Boonsboro. I've decided that my reward for when (when, not if) I reach my goal weight will be to spend a long weekend at Inn Boonsoboro.

So I decided that as part of my journey, I'm going to "walk" to Inn Boonsboro on the treadmill.

I looked up the driving directions from my house to there, and it is about 544 miles.
I copied the directions from MapQuest into a Word document and then for each step of the journey, added little check boxes - with each box representing a half a mile.
So each time I walk a half a mile on the treadmill, I can check off another box.

I thought this would be a fun thing to do because it gives me a specific goal, and I feel like I am walking towards something rather than just walking, and someday when I actually go to Inn Boonsboro, I will feel that much more like I earned it by having "walked" there.

So that's an idea for anyone who uses a treadmill - pick a reward destination and figure out the miles!

Replies

• MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!!!! I am going to find someplace I wanna go for my goal......my sister and I have always wanted to do a girls trip to Hawaii when we reach goal.....hmmmmmmm......GREAT IDEA!!!!!
  • rubyalison
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!!!! I am going to find someplace I wanna go for my goal......my sister and I have always wanted to do a girls trip to Hawaii when we reach goal.....hmmmmmmm......GREAT IDEA!!!!!

Thanks! So glad you like it!
    How far are you from Hawaii? You could even use a rowing machine for the water miles if you wanted - haha.
  • OliveDouglas
    Options
    That's an awesome idea!!! I may take you up on this one, but do it on the elliptical and "stride" to my goal...
  • dhydes2
    dhydes2 Posts: 17
    Options
    That's an incredible idea. I like the walking towards something rather than just walking. I'll have to think of my goal and do this.
  • gdneff
    gdneff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This is just a cool idea. I guess my problem is going to be deciding where I want to go. LOL. Thanks for the wonderful idea.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Seriously love your idea!
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I saw the idea of "walking" to Disneyland. We were all (me, hubby and 3 kids) going to walk or ride bikes 1200 miles "to" Disneyland. We never got started, but I need to pick a goal like that! Makes it much easier to stay motivated.
  • breeleedee
    Options
    this is an awesome idea thank you for sharing! now i just need to find a destination that i want to go to and i will start challenge
  • rubyalison
    Options
    So glad you all like this! I hope you come back and share what you pick as your destinations! We can update each other periodically too on our progress.
  • LuckBeWithU
    LuckBeWithU Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Great Idea...
    Love It...

When you come and visit, send me a line.
    I live 10 miles from there.:smile:
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is just a cool idea. I guess my problem is going to be deciding where I want to go. LOL. Thanks for the wonderful idea.

That would be my problem too! Maybe I will just choose "around the world"!
    I think this is a GREAT motivational idea! Thanks for sharing it!
  • Terri_terri
    Terri_terri Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I can't walk yet, I broke my ankle in Oct & its still healing. Can't wait to go walking!
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That is a fabulous idea! I am going to have to think about my options and convert that to the elliptical, too!
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Thanks! So glad you like it!
    How far are you from Hawaii? You could even use a rowing machine for the water miles if you wanted - haha.

I am in so cal....so not too bad.....I need to figure out how to do the miles because I rarely walk (until closer to my 3 day training walks, then I will walk a bazillion miles in training lol!) But I spin and do weights and interval stuff...might have to make myself walk in tread at least 30 minutes a day...would only be a bit over 2 miles but still......
  • breeleedee
    Options
    So glad you all like this! I hope you come back and share what you pick as your destinations! We can update each other periodically too on our progress.

i talked with my man tonight to figure out a vacation destination for us were going to go to Halifax, NS from Winnipeg, Manitoba for him to meet my relatives. the distance is 3518 KM which is equal to 2186 MILES. its going to be a long struggle but i'm excited to do it! plus its good training for the marathon i want to do on fathers day
  • boobug75
    boobug75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for an inspirational and motivational idea!!! As I'm just starting out, I haven't began tracking miles of walking yet, merely minutes. So, I think for now, I'll keep track by every 10 minutes of "get your heart pumpin' " walking, will count as 1 mile. As I get better adapted, I can make adjustments, and soon hope to start using a pedometer to keep better track. Again, thanks much for the groovy idea. :flowerforyou:
  • rethadiet
    rethadiet Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That is an excellent idea. Much better than my friend's suggestion. My elliptical white elelphant is in the garage (only place I can exercise or attempt to) She suggested I face the garage door and see whether I can physically excercise my way out of the garage LOL. Seriously, your friend's idea is brilliant. I am going to implement it.