pre-preggo weight and clothes

Options
lovelyrose11
lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
I gained 20 lbs during my pregnancy and I only have 5 more lbs to lose (my son is 2 1/2 weeks old). While I am thrilled to have lost the weight so quickly, I am confused as to why none of my regular clothes fit yet. Has anyone had this issue?? I didn't have this problem with my first son..

Replies

• Hearndt
    Hearndt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your body changes after pregnancy so even though you lost the weight your size may change. Your hips, that had to spread during pregnancy, may still be wider (they may eventually return to normal but they may not). You tummy may be looser and need toning to avoid the "muffin top", or low rise may no longer be in the cards. My advice is to get down to the wieght you'd like to be and then buy clothes to fit your new body type!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above - your shape might have changed a bit, especially since you gave birth recently, things are still going back to their original location (hopefully).

I only have three pounds until I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight, but that includes losing three inches off my waist, and I've gained three inches in my chest (not complaining!). I think I lost some muscle during the pregnancy, so even though I've lost a lot of weight, it doesn't necessarily equate to all the inches.

You'll get there, mama! It just takes a bit of time. You're already doing great!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've still got 20 lbs to go till I'm back to my pre pregnancy weight but a year ago I weighed this same amount so I still have clothes from when I was this size and they definitely fit different! My belly feels like its almost back to normal but I still need to get s few inches off of it, some of my pants give me a massive muffin top and its so not cute lol I just told my husband this today but I can tell where baby weight went because my jeans are a little tight through my hips and thighs. I read sometimes it can take up to 6+ months for your shape to return even if the weight is gone!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this happening too. I'm onlky 6 weeks pp and have 30lbs to lose. But I currently weigh around 185, I weighed 175 before I started losing weight the first time. Then I wore a size 13, now I have to wear size 17, so 10lbs=2 sizes??
  • lolarn55
    Options
    I'm only 1 week PP, but with my first I didn't even bother trying on non-maternity clothes for the first 6 weeks. It's not the weight it's your shape. Give it time, everything will readjust to where it belongs.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me after I had my second baby. The scale told me I was 5lbs lighter than before I got pregnant but my body looked different (not in a good way) and my clothes didn't fit. I realized that I had lost a lot of muscle in my fast weight loss so my measurements were actually bigger even though I weighed less. I started heavy lifting with the program New Rules of Lifting for Women and now while I weigh 5 lbs more I am *smaller*. For example, my waist measure at 32" after I had lost the pregnancy weight, I started heavy lifting and 3-4 months in the program and my waist is now 27". All of my pre pregnancy clothes are WAAAAAYYY too big. Had to get everything tailored or bought new things. I will say it's too early to start any lifting program so soon, but know that you are not alone and its common for women's bodies to change dramatically after pregnancy and to experience a loss in muscle tone. Once you've been cleared to workout slowly get back into some sort of exercise routine and begin to incorporate strength training.

FYI I didn't start lifting until I was close to 8 months post partum.
  • amarielopez
    amarielopez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I jsut gave birth to my daughter 6 weeks ago and from what I know I gained almost 70 pounds during this pregnancy. I have lost about 30 so far but I have a long way to go since I was about 20 pounds up before my pregnancy. have my 6 week check up tomorrow and I'm looking forward to getting the green light to work out!
  • ljervisleah
    ljervisleah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are only 2.5 weeks pp then I wouldn't worry. It will take up to three months for all your "parts" to go back in place. Google it, i think it takes up to six weeks for the uterus to go back to its original size. Just give it time.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure my hips will never return to normal. I guess it's nice to be more of a pear than an apple; it's a more feminine shape I suppose. But even my pre-weightloss size 4's (about 4 lbs lighter than current weight) don't fit me. Not sure if my pre-preg 0's will fit now that I'm a woman. LOL
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I agree with all the above- things just shift/your body might never be exactly the same. I told my friends last week, I'm in this awkward stage right now. At 3 months pp, I still have 9 lbs to go. My "fat" clothes are too big, and my "skinny" ones are too small...so every morning I have to decide between a saggy butt or a muffin top- it's a tough decision:)
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I agree with all the above- things just shift/your body might never be exactly the same. I told my friends last week, I'm in this awkward stage right now. At 3 months pp, I still have 9 lbs to go. My "fat" clothes are too big, and my "skinny" ones are too small...so every morning I have to decide between a saggy butt or a muffin top- it's a tough decision:)

I'd take a saggy butt over being uncomfortable because my pudge is trying to escape from my jeans! I tried on my "skinny" jeans last week, I can button them now, but there's still a lot of muffin going on. I'm getting sick of my "fat" jeans. They're ugly!
  • ljervisleah
    ljervisleah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Seriously, that's what goodwill is for, to get you through then in between sizes till u can wear your old designer clothes.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I still have 17lbs to go, but my old clothes i was able to wear up until 37wks don't fit me the same! my shape definitely changed. I feel wider! i hope it gets back down
  • lisam625
    lisam625 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First child....size 5 to 7 @ 140 pounds
    Second......size 7 to 9 @140 pounds
    Third....size 9 to 11 ~ 160
    fourth....11 to....still working on that!! im in about a size 14 right now. size 32 in my favorite silver jeans.

I think it;'s my hips that are spreading. My hip bones feel soooo far apart now! Good thing im not having anymore kids or I may have to turn sideways to go through a doorway. haha!