Any Ideas on exercising with a hurt ankle?

Options
Terri_terri
Terri_terri Posts: 42 Member
Okay, I've been doing great so far with my diet, but I know we have to move our bodies to help in loses pounds. I broke my ankle in Oct, the cast & boot is off but its still hurts when I move it a certain way. Also swells when I'm working 12 hr shifts.
Any ideas on what other exercise I could do beside walking???

Replies

• Bechard05
    Bechard05 Posts: 231
    Options
    Terri what equipment do you have access to?

Yoga is great and most the positions can be altered for inuries

There is also LOTS of upper body work you can be doing while your ankle is still healing

Do you have an exercise ball? Any kind of weights?

You can even do leg lifts in your recliner and that works your thighs not your ankle
  • msjanetcole
    msjanetcole Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We were just discussing my injured knees from relocating our home. Kim suggested that I use the food rest on my leather reclining, which is all part of the chair with no air between the seat and the foot rest. Use stomach muscles to push the leg rest down to the floor, but not lock then control raise my legs back and repeat. Works for me.
  • Terri_terri
    Terri_terri Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Only thing I have is a treadmill. I didn't even think about doing upper body, I will go to Walmart and buy set of hand weights. The foot rest on my chair is a good idea too. I was starting to feel down cause I couldn't walk. Thanks :smile:
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Focus on upper body and core.. A good one is to stand with feet shoulder width apart, slight squat, and box. Just punch accross your body at head hight. A few mins will get your heart racing. Use some weights to do bicep curls, arm raises, shoulder presses and rowing. If you don't have weights use water bottles. Do some crunches, and leg raises.
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, swimming/water aerobics is the easiest on your body.
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I agree with Emily! Water exercise is the easiest on my joints because of the support from the water.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Do you have an exercise/stability ball? That could be a good way to get core exercises with just a little pressure on your foot.
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Kinesiology tape will help support you ankle once you're ready to get moving again.
  • MsTankEd
    MsTankEd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my foot/ankle due to an injury and it is really bothering me this year. I have found that keeping up with exercise really helps it... yeah I need to practice what I preach huh. Have you tried the elliptical? I actually find that that machine is better for my particularities than walking on it.. I am just getting into yoga love it, but some things really bother it (e.g. tree) so I take it easy and don't push it with those poses. Pilates is also something to try too.
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I broke my foot in September and my orthopedist suggested that I use a stationary bike or elliptical. I bought one of those $20 little stands with pedals on them. But I've mostly been doing Zumba and working through the pain - he said exercise now would be painful but wouldn't cause anything to break lol - and I stick to 30 minutes, every other day so my foot can rest in between. I know that's different from a broken ankle but maybe some of it is applicable?