SOS: Shout out Sundays

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Jan 6, 2013 Bring it on troops! For newbies...Sundays we discuss what we learned this week either from the daily challenges, your diet plans, exercise...what worked and what did not and how you want to change things. NO JUDGEMENT but just to see how this is not an absolute but a work in progress.

So, as the NEW YEAR rang in...what did you learn or did not? What excites you? Is your plan working so far? YOU think realistic? for the long hall?

Peace,
WW

Replies

• MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm nervous to say it, but 10 days in or so I feel that the Bodymedia device I got is working for me, in a way that previous efforts have not. I think when I was losing at a rate of like 1 - 2 pounds a MONTH, although some of the time I was definitely right and knew my food was fitting into my calorie limit, 1) I wasn't probably as active as I thought I was, even when I was working out hard, and 2) had a lot of times when I am sure I was eating up to maintenance or not much below, with a few hundred extra calories not logged. Since using the new device, I've logged as scrupulously as I can and it has also motivated me to be more daily-active, and seems to be giving me a pretty accurate burn. It tells me I averaged a daily deficit of about 750 cals in the time I've been wearing it, which would sync with having dropped almost 2 pounds in less than 2 weeks.

This is all the very early days so it may prove to be an anomaly/water loss (and I still expect to see gains and static periods as I will continue resistance training and aiming to build small amounts of muscle), but I will be very happy if this proves to be reflecting a metabolic reality. If so, what I have learned is that 1) I need to be more active and 2) while I may remain healthy and slowly, slowly lose weight, I will not see the kind of pound-a-week results I *think* I should if I am eating up a few handfuls of extra food, no matter how healthful it is...

Thanks for the shout-out! What's yours??
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    So true I totally agree! I hear folks say that who use the Active Link with Weight Watchers which sounds the same as the Body Media!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have been logging my food religiously since 1/1. I'm not really making different choices yet, just trying to get a handle on logging again, and I feel much more in control and I can feel my mood lifting. It's only been a few days, I know, but I'm going to keep working at this and logging no matter what the result or the choices I made. After another week, I will look back and see what trends are there-good or not so great-and tweak things. Baby steps is my mantra right now!
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    I agree Maureen...logging! I need to boost my measuring. I also need to change my way of thinking of stop rushing! Losing slowly and being consistent and keep doing my intense exercises at least twice a week and other 2-3 regular exercises.
  • joanfudala
    joanfudala Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I learned that when I use the excuse of wanting snacks for the kids, I am really saying I want stuff that I like easily accessible. I made the mistake of making white chocolate cranberry cookies and have already eaten 4. That kind of defeats all the progress I have made by starting to exercise and logging my food. Is there anyone else out there that sabotages their progress? Why do we do it? How can I stop?
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I think we all sabotage our progress at times. Perhaps it is partially because we fear success as much as we hate having weight issues. And we will continue to do it. But every time we chose to say no to the cookie (or in my case, a York Peppermint Patty), we are making progress. I figure that I may have had 4 cookies, but a year or so ago it would have been closer to 3 times that. So that is progress. And tomorrow we try again!
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have learned that just because I am tired does not mean I cannot do a workout. I learned I am stronger than I want to admit. I am really learning what it means, "You reap what you sow.' You will reap a reward if you DO NOT give up."

I have come a long way in one year. In December 2011 my highest weight was 198 today I weigh 151. That is a loss of 47 pounds not bad. 30 of those pounds were lost after I discovered MFP. In saying that, the most important discovery is that success is determined in large part to what you surround yourself with. Once I started building friendships with people who have the same goal I began to thrive. Downside, I do not hang with my bestest friend, my girlfiriend as I affectionately call her, as often.

More recently, I am starting to be convicted about my food choices. It is not enough to exercise until you practically melt. Nor can I continue with my better health without drinking more water and taking it seriously. My goal I am focusing on now without losing my current routine is drinking more water. I made a plan. I have not stuck to it religiously but I am doing better and I keep trying until I find myself doing it.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    lisaissasa, I have taken something you said not too long ago, and put it for my resolution.

although i am a week behind most, here it is.

A Zero Tolerance policy. and I'm applying it to everything.

Zero Tolerance on cheating on my food, Zero Tolerance for not properly logging my food, Zero Tolerance for slacking on working out (although a bum ankle is very much NOT HELPING this one...), Zero Tolerance for spending excess money on things I don't need, Zero Tolerance on staying up late on work nights, Zero Tolerance for not taking care of myself.

I did really well when I first started applying myself, then I started giving myself permission to eat junk, first a little bit, then the "well, since you already had that, have more" voice came in. i'm over it. i'm over the yo yo, i'm over the not fitting into my clothes, i'm over not thinking i'm worth taking care of.

because we all deserve to take care of ourselves (which in turn, helps us take care of each other).
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I learned that the break from tracking can be as frustrating as the tracking. I wasn't tracking in November and December (I admit, I fell into the "well I eat the same thing every day, why should I track, nothing changes") and I was still gaining, (I was gaining when I was tracking too, just can't figure it out) went to the allergy/asthma doc in Nov was at 205, went to primary about two weeks later in Dec because of bronchitis was at 204 (yay! but still not tracking, so I don't know what changed) went to my parents for Christmas, decided Jan 1 would be a good day to start new food plan that primary recommended, so said best thing to do is get on scale to know starting weight (based on home scale as it is the scale I will be using for weekly weigh ins) down to 201 (still don't know what I'm doing since had not been tracking) get on the scale Sunday morning (I'm in another Challenge through MFP and Skinnyo and you have to post your weight between Friday and Monday) and I'M UP 1 POUND!!! This is after 5 days of tracking and eating higher fiber (of the fruit and veggie variety) and less "meat" protein (I'm getting most of my protein from dairy, beans, quinoa, ect) {facepalm} I'm hoping that this is due to the increased fiber (the book I read about this style of eating does say that you may see an increase in weight the first few weeks due to the increas in fiber, but COME ON!)
    So, what is my solution? Keep going, keep tracking and who knows, maybe this time I will catch what the elusive "this is what I need to do to lose weight gremlin"