Diabetes Buddy?

Options
Hey guys...

I recently passed five years with Type 1, and I've found myself really struggling to manage my diabetes (and my fitness journey, but they're not entirely related).

I was wondering if there were any teenage Type 1 diabetics who would want to buddy up with me in the hopes of increasing our control? I honestly cannot seem to motivate myself, and the scoldings from my endo just make me more rebellious.

Replies

• kathyguminski
    Options
    I sure know where you are coming from. When I was younger I couldn't get motivated to manage it either. I found I could control my weight by letting my B sugars get really high. I didn't seem to notice any adverse effects from it either. My best friend, Emily, was diagnosed the same time I was. We were best friends for 32 years. She died in April of last year.

If I could go back and take this disease seriously, I would do it in a heartbeat. I ended up having open heart surgury, triple bypass, stents, Diabetic Gastric Parisis, Diabetic Retinopothy, a Viterectomy on my left eye, Neuropothy in my hands and feet and Charcot's syndrome in my right foot and that is just the half of it. I am legally blind, I can't drive anymore, my foot is so deformed I have to have special shoes made. I have no feeling in my feet at all but the pain in them is so intense I have cried.

Now that I have lost Emily, I have no one to talk to about how much having T1 Diabetes sucks. Why couldn't I just have listened to the Dr.s all along and taken better care of myself? I suffer because of it now, but I figure it might not be too late to try again.
    My friend had to have both of her legs amputated. I saw what she went through, and she really suffered. I want to stave that off as long as possible.

I'm probably much older than you, but I still feel like a kid inside, does that count? I would be glad to be your buddy, and I promise not to preach to you. I would just hate for anyone to go through what Emily or I have been through if you can avoid it.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about switching Endo? I used to have a doc that I always fought with. We were always knocking heads. But when I switched, I got this super nice lady who never yelled at me. When my numbers were bad or I did something she didn't like, I felt horrible, like I had let her down. Because I valued her opinion and her advice so much, I worked so much harder to keep my numbers in control.
  • nanacouture
    Options
    Kathy~ Thank you so much for the words of wisdom!

jw ~ I have thought about switching, but I've decided that because I'm only going to be her patient for a short while longer (I'll get a different doctor when I head to college; someone near campus in case of emergency, you know...) I'm just going to suck it up. It's really unfortunate, though, my first endo was absolutely fantastic and my control was unbeatable. Too bad for having to move...