Hi - I'm new here

Options
Hi. Its nice to see that there's a site with some food and exercise support for people with diabetes.

After a brief stint in the hospital with ketoacidosis, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 2 months ago. I'm on Lantus and Humalog. What a tough time it is getting this under control. After my levels fell to 'normal' range, I began to get hypoglycemic lows every other day and sometimes 2-3 times per day...ugh. They just switched me from sliding scale to carb counting 2 weeks ago.

After Thanksgiving dinner, I realized I need a little more help with this carb counting and meal planning which is how I found this website. Also, now that my lows have lessened, the diabetes educators said I can start exercising again, but with caution. I'm a little nervous about lows, but its time to start.

I do have a couple of questions. How long does it take to get tight control over this? I'm supposed to stay between 4.0 and 7.0, and haven't gone a single week completely in that range. How long does it take? Its so frustrating. My vision still hasn't fully recovered, but its better. I read that it can take up to 3 months to stabilize. Also, has anybody gone through this ketoacidosis? Do heart arrhythmias go away? I've been waiting over a month to see the doctor (last appt got rescheduled), and I don't know what to expect. Anyway, thank you for any advice.

Replies

• kathyguminski
    Options
    I'm new here too, I have been hospitalized with DKA a few times and it never gets any easier. I've been T1 Diabetic for 23 years and am just now learning to count carbs. I never had any insurance for all those years and dealt with my Diabetes as best as I could. I have definitely paid the price too. Now that I have insurance finally I am getting some diabetic education and can afford to buy the supplies necessary to take proper care of myself. I'm interested in the pump too, if I'm not too old, lol.