Top 10 Healthy Eating Tips for Women in 2013

Options
AliceNov2011
AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
Hi everybody! I'm just back from vacation, and wrote this guide for healthy eating in the New Year. What have you got to add?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/alices-restaurant/top-10-healthy-eating-tips-for-women-in-2013/448113401921314

TOP 10 HEALTHY EATING TIPS FOR WOMEN IN 2013

No two of us are exactly the same, of course, but if you’re a middle-aged woman of normal stature, decent health, and are relatively sedentary (i.e., you work at working out, but really, not so much), there are a few weight loss and maintenance truisms that can help you get there, stay there, and stop worrying about worrying about it. (Disclaimer: I am an accidental self-ordained expert, having lost 55 pounds and studied like a maniac to figure out how and why. I'm just passing on the learnings that proved most important to me as a 54-year old otherwise healthy woman. If your doctor or nutritionist tells you something else, they absolutely trump my authority.)

Here are my Top 10 nuggets of eating wisdom:

1. Eat an average of 1600-1800 calories per day. The older you get, the less you need. (Here’s a simple calculator: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598) If you are trying to lose weight, eat at a 10-20% cut off that number (but no fewer than 1200 calories per day on average) until you reach your goal. Then go back to your maintenance amount. Note, I said “average.” That means you can eat a couple hundred more one day and a couple hundred less another, so long as at the end of the week, it all balances out to your magic number. This is called “calorie cycling” or “zig-zagging,” and it keeps life interesting.

2. If you exercise a whole-whole lot – like you run 5 miles 3 times a week or swim 100 laps a day or regularly play an energetic sport – eat back 50-75% of the calories you burn (allowing for errors since everything is an educated guess). Here’s a good estimator: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc. If you exercise “some, but I wouldn’t call it a lot, I mean, I was planning to go do yoga five times last week, then it was raining and there was a train and I had to work late, so I thought about it, but no I didn’t go, but I’m going to week after next after I get back from vacation…” …if that’s you, consider the calories you actually do finally burn through exercise a wash against calories you’ve neglected to count. For instance, if I do manage to get to pilates 2 or 3 times a week and walk the dogs 2 miles on Sunday, I don’t count the calories. I think of them as lagniappe. Really, there are hidden calories everywhere!

3. Divide your calories like this: 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein (those are called “macronutrients” or “macros” and http://myfitnesspal.com’s customized goal settings will help you calculate and track them). Also, and just as importantly, target these micronutrient goals:

Saturated fat: 15g
Cholesterol: 174mg
Sodium: 1500mg
Potassium: 1600mg
Fiber: 30g
Sugars: 31g

Those are ALL the numbers you need to know, and you don't have to memorize them if you use MyFitnessPal -- which, again, is an awesome tracker.

REMINDER: These numbers are for healthy women approaching or beyond 50. If you’re much younger than that, here’s more information: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200.

4. Eat “clean” -- no more than 10% processed, white, refined, or fried. Whole, fresh, organic foods are always best, when you have the choice.

5. Eat and cook with full-fat butter, olive oil, coconut oil, cream, mayo, salad dressing, cheese, Greek yogurt, nuts, avocados. You NEED the good fats. Just don’t overdo it. Read your labels. The minute you start down the “low fat” path, you are killing yourself with sodium, sugar, and nutritionally meaningless manufactured ingredients. And always rinse your canned vegetables, especially beans, to get rid of the excess sodium.

6. Get your sugar from whole fruits (not juices unless you juice them yourself). Don’t worry if you go over your sugar allotment if it’s all coming from natural sources. And, no, Tropicana is not a natural source.

7. Get your carbs from vegetables, whole grain breads, oatmeal, brown rice & grains. Limit white potatoes (they’re white, remember?). That also means limiting pasta. Try shirataki noodles instead. I’ve got recipes & tips for those, if you’re interested.

8. Eat as much seafood as you can get your hands on. Poultry & eggs are a good second. Pork is third. Beans & legumes are always good. Eat as little red meat as you can manage. Protein keeps you satisfied longer, and you probably don’t get as much as you need.

9. Don’t eat anything you don’t love. That way you get to eat all that wonderful nutrient-dense stuff listed above.

10. Finally, read my lips: There is absolutely nothing in a fast-food drive-thru that you should be eating unless it’s a yogurt and fresh fruit parfait, and even that is only a stop-gap. Fast-food places use massive quantities of sugar, sodium, lard, and bad-bad-bad oils, not to mention questionable protein sources. YOU WILL NOT STARVE if you have to wait an hour or two to eat. Even if you think you have no food in the house, keep driving, go home, and scramble an egg in a pat of butter or mix up a can of low-sodium (!) tuna with a tablespoon of mayo. And if you don’t want to be tempted by something, don’t buy it or bring it into your home. It’s not rocket science. ;c)

BON APPETIT!

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of what you have here, but I disagree with setting a number of calories for all women of a certain age. Even only working out a couple of days a week, I lost about a pound a week at 1600 calories, and I'm in "early" menopause and small to begin with. I think that the number of calories we should eat is very personal and based on our own height/weight/metabolism, so I think it's dangerous to generalize like that. I lose even at 1800 now because I exercise 4-5 days per week. I have to average over 2000 per day to maintain, and I'm 5'3" and 111 lbs.

Otherwise, very helpful!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    What excellent tips!!! Thank you for taking the time to put it together and inform us! I truly appreciate you!!:flowerforyou:
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    @Kate -- This is meant to be very general and based on a LOT of sources who seem to agree that 1600 is a typical maintenance number for average sedentary women over 50. I know many folks who just need a place to start and are overwhelmed by all the info out there. Thus the multiple disclaimers and qualifiers. ;c)
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Alice - great advice and well written. I have been very steady on my exercise and find that I do tend to eat back my exercise calories. I am sometimes very uncomfortable eating them back because they are a swag in the first place, and I'm sure I could be off a few hundred calories over the course of a week. Before you went on maintenance, and were in the weight loss mode, would you not eat back exercise calories and still shoot for that magic 1200 number?

I do agree with eating whole, clean food 85% of the time. I do allow for some wiggle room for some forbidden foods (like potatoes or an occasional pancake), but try to be mindful of my eating.

The only thing I'd add that is not related to eating is that women should be strength training, with heavy weights if their ultimate goal is to decrease body fat and tone up.
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    Hi SMarie -- I'm actually still working on my last 20 pounds, but went on maintenance during the holidays. As for eating back my exercise calories, I don't think I do enough exercise to have "earned" that privilege. I think there are many women like me who have the best intentions, but will, frankly, never cross that hurdle in any meaningful way. That's why I wrote it the way that I did. For those of you who DO do your exercise, eating back a portion of your calories is appropriate. For the rest of us, not so much. ;c)

Agree about heavy lifting, from what I've heard. I use small weights in pilates and while I know it's not the same, it's what I'm willing to commit to. What I'm not willing to do is something that will dramatically change my body, only to have it return if (when) I quit! LOL!
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Alice,
    Well written! I agree with many of you tips and as a 48 year old woman trying to loose those last 20 pounds that have crept up over the years have struggled in so many of the areas you mentioned. I'm leaning towards clean eating and just have to cconvince the rest of the house to get on board!
  • mznortiz
    mznortiz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    love the tips.
  • hen1946
    hen1946 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well said Alice!!

Occasionally I take a peek at your diary and note that, as you advocate in your topic, you yourself eat "nice" calories. I term them "nice" because they are the foods I love. Smoked salmon, prawns and the like. Why use your alotted calories (as limited as they are) to eat things you dont care for. I think your advice on all additional points is absolutely correct. Good post!
  • hen1946
    hen1946 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    By the way, I noticed the Boursin the other day. THAT I stay away from unless I do a little binge.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, it is extremely helpful.
    I am currently getting my calories up to Maintenance so I can start again. Found out the hard way that I was eating far too little, My macros are at 45 / 30 / 25 but am aiming to get to 40/30/30, the other figures I am going to have to check out. This is all a massive learning curve and as you say individual adjustments will need to be made bit it is nice to have a good idea where to start even though I have been on MFP for for 6 months.

Cheers:drinker:
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful posting. I'm going to bump for later to read over and over again!! I just better print it off and stick on the refrigerator. I want this so bad but my brain is always tempting me to eat bad stuff. Is that even possible or just an excuse i use?
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I will have to disagree with your organic recommendation. Organic is not a nutritional term, it is more of marketing and political term. For instance, the veggies I grow in my garden would not pass the organic labeling requirements because I use chemical fertilizer and insect spray. I don't think you mean to tell me that I should forgo my homegrown fresh veggies and buy organic labeled veggies from the store.
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks for sharing.
    I think that the concept of earning calories from exercising is flawed. If I am hungry because of a good workout, I might add a snack, but if I ate half of the calories MFP says that I am earning from exercising, I would gain weight!
    I don't think that there is any good reason for anyone interested in being healthy to get anything from a fast food chain. When I am traveling and I am too hungry to wait and I don't have a snack, I go to a gas station with a convenience store. Many have fruit, almost all have packaged nuts.
    I am working on my list of things that I have learned as I get fit and one of those is there is no good reason to drink diet coke. Even bugs are smart enough to stay away from diet coke, just leave one outside and you will see that ants and bees stay away. Kicking my diet coke habit was not easy, but I am finally at the point where the taste is unappealing to me.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Great info and I appreciate your wit and wisdom!

The key to weight loss is knowledge.

Thank you.
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great Post Alice, these are good common sense things we all should learn and yes we will all need to find what works for us, Thankfully we are not all the same and that is what makes the world a wonderful place.
    Thanks again for the post and for this great group!
  • chogue55
    Options
    Alice,

Thanks much for sharing the lessons you've learned. You are helping me stay motivated.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    ALice I love it how you have put it in simple language that can be a life long guide. That's why I'm 86lbs down with roughly 25lbs to go...keeping it simple!
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Well said! Great tips! Thanks a bunch, I always had a hard time figuring those pesky macronutrients!
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    I'm afraid I will have to disagree with your organic recommendation. Organic is not a nutritional term, it is more of marketing and political term. For instance, the veggies I grow in my garden would not pass the organic labeling requirements because I use chemical fertilizer and insect spray. I don't think you mean to tell me that I should forgo my homegrown fresh veggies and buy organic labeled veggies from the store.

I choose organic when I can for its lack of pesticides and other additives. That's all. In my backyard the dogs and other critters might have some additives all their own! ;c)
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful posting. I'm going to bump for later to read over and over again!! I just better print it off and stick on the refrigerator. I want this so bad but my brain is always tempting me to eat bad stuff. Is that even possible or just an excuse i use?

I always say that if you don't want to be tempted by it, don't drive through it, order it, buy it, or keep it around. It's the same as when a person quits smoking. Having a pack in the freezer "just in case" shows lack of commitment. Having a chocolate cake in the freezer "just in case" is the same. ;c)