Any other vegetarians, vegans?

Options
suzan06
suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
I posted in the Find Your Twin thread, but it is getting pretty long, and not many people put their eating preferences in that thread.

I am looking for a twin, recipe sharing, and friending each other so we can check out food diaries.

About me: 30 years old, 5'8", current weight is 166, and I am looking to get down to my pre baby weight of 150-155. My youngest is almost 3 and I have been veeeeeeeeery slowly taking the weight off from my last pregnancy. For exercise I do yoga, elliptical, and some running when it isn't January. For eating, I am a vegetarian for over ten years now, and try to be vegan although I eat some cheese and am not super anal about it. My resin for trying to be as vegan as possible is that I have extremely high cancer risks in my family, and some research shows that eliminating all animal products helps lower your risk.

Replies

• ccantu19
    Options
    I am a new vegetarian have been since December :) I love to run, yoga, ballet beautiful. I'm at 173 so a bit heavier then you and 5'6 so a bit shorter.

I would love to be your twin if you haven't found one
  • shelsab
    shelsab Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan as of the en of December! I was a vegetarian for 5 years and then went back to meat for a year and recently was reminded why I enjoy being veggie but this time I have decided to go all the way to vegan. I am loving it so far. It can be challenging as in cooking where I am because I am in barracks in Hawaii and just got stationed here so cooking these first few weeks are limited. I would love for us to be on the buddy system if anyone wants to.
    Stats:
    CW: 153.8
    GW: 146
    UGW: 120ish
    Height: 5'2.5"
  • suzan06
    Options
    I just sent friend requests to both of you. Yay, I am glad there are a few of us! Shelsab, are you in the military or is your spouse? I know food costs a fortune in HI, that must be tough. Are local fruits and veggies cheaper? What is local to HI?
  • onlyhannahcox
    Options
    Hi - I am a vegetarian / mostly vegan. I have decided to cut out dairy for health reasons in 2013 - and am using replacements like Cheezly (my one massive downfall in weight loss is cheese!)

Im also following a pretty basic diet, a very low proportion of processed food and mostly just vegetables, nuts, seeds along with a small amount of fruit, quorn and legumes.

Im 5ft 7 and 166lbs hoping to lose 30lbs in the next 4 months. Would love to get some buddy ups if anyone is interested?

Hannah xx
  • jessxlei
    Options
    Mhmm. Been vegetarian for almost a year (one year March 1st!) and I'd really love to go vegan. I've cut everything out except cheese :( I can't find a good vegan cheese..
  • leahestey
    leahestey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking hard about turning vegetarian/vegan. It's going to be hard in a house of meat lovers and milk drinkers. I won't touch soy either because it is a GMO.
  • jessxlei
    Options
    Almond milk is really good. I'm not a fan of soymilk because of the after taste.
  • suzan06
    Options
    I thought organic soy was not GMO? We limit soy to tofu once a week and whole or fermented soy (ie edamame or tempeh or soy sauce).

leahestey, when I started I was the only veg in the family. Now my mom is mostly, my sister is mostly, and even my meat loving H only eats it once a week. Only took a decade :) For years we always made a veg meal and a meat meal and it sucked- so I definitely feel your pain.
  • leahestey
    Options
    Only 10% (I think, it's been a while since I watch "Food Inc.") of soy isn't GMO. Soy farmers are forced to use a company's soy because they claimed it as their own. It's like saying all chicken belongs to KFC and the farmers can only buy KFC's eggs/chicks. The ones who grow their own soy get a fine.
  • leahestey
    Options
    And organic is NOT organic. It has to be 95% or less organic and they can use "organic" chemicals that kill off bugs and weeds. As humans, we have lost touch with the basics of food and its process.
  • shelsab
    shelsab Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just sent friend requests to both of you. Yay, I am glad there are a few of us! Shelsab, are you in the military or is your spouse? I know food costs a fortune in HI, that must be tough. Are local fruits and veggies cheaper? What is local to HI?

Yes, I am in the military. It is pricier I've here, but it's not too bad. There are a few local fruits that are better priced. The commissary (grocery store on base) is going towards selling alot more local foods so we will see how the prices are and what will be avaliable. Local to Hawaii are pineapples, mangos, papayas, mushrooms, bananas, cabbage off of the top of my head. There are many available.
  • bamabunny
    bamabunny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Over the past 5 years I've become an "involuntary" vegetarian. My body simply stopped processing meat (or, more specifically, the fat in meat). It started with beef, so I ate a lot of chicken and fish. Then I couldn't eat chicken, then fish.... My doctor wasn't worried, as she is a vegetarian herself. Fortunately for me, I am nearing 60 and don't have children living at home. My hubby will eat almost anything. At first, I made my meal and added a side of meat for him. Now he is mostly vegetarian by his own choice, as is my daughter-in-law. I guess my meals won them over - lol. I use a lot of recipes from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook and Get Healthy, Go Vegan (although I'm not completely vegan - yet). I am currently 5'3, 180 lbs, and would love to lose 30 lbs. It's nice to see other vegetarians/vegans here. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What a good thread idea!

I'm 26, 5'5 and 189 pounds. I've had two kids over the past few years and am trying to get back to around 150ish.

I've also been a vegetarian for over 15 years. Never liked the taste of meat much and didn't miss it when I stopped eating it. I LOVE having vegetarian friends, (especially those with open diaries!) so anyone feel free to add me. It's always fun to get new meal/snack ideas from other people.
  • suzan06
    Options
    We made the easiest dinner the other night, and even though I usually hate Lima beans, I thought it was good:

Brown rice, or whatever you want to eat it with
    1 cup dry limas, soak overnight and cook
    1 can diced tomatoes with chiles
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1T dry mustard seed
    1T coriander
    1t curry powder

Sauté onion until clear, add spices, tomatoes, and cooked beans. Cover and simmer 15 min.

Other than remembering to soak the beans ahead (and you could use canned instead) it was very fast to make and very cheap! It wasn't spicy at all, but you could obviously add less spices if you are worried about it. H found it on spark recipes I think.