Dr Who?

Options
AiryM
AiryM Posts: 51 Member
Ok, I'm taking the plunge into Dr. Who fandon. I've watched a few episodes of the ninth dr. & loved it!

Is this a good place to start? Or should go way back to the beginning.

Since I"m having knee surgery soon and will be couch bound for a day (or two), I need to plan out my netflix marathons.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• Ro0kin
    Ro0kin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would always say to people if you want to start watching Doctor Who always start with a Regeneration, then you have a new actor and a new doctor to with a new start. However you never see The Doctor regenerate from 8th to 9th but the start of the reboot in 2005 gives you a good place to start.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Depends how deep you want to plunge, you could watch the original B&W movies and series or just start with the 'modern' ones. You don't necessarily need to have watched every single series to make sense of the new ones

Plus you'd never watch them in two days unless you actually had a TARDIS
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I just started too but I just jumped into the 11th Doctor. I'll go back and watch 9 and 10 when I get the time. Man, I watch too much TV :laugh:
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I would always say to people if you want to start watching Doctor Who always start with a Regeneration, then you have a new actor and a new doctor to with a new start. However you never see The Doctor regenerate from 8th to 9th but the start of the reboot in 2005 gives you a good place to start.

That's where I just started watching a couple of months ago. I'm almost done with season 6 now. (being a football widow frees up a lot of time)

Liking it a little less since Davies went off to do Torchwood (also fun) but still hooked for life, I think.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'd say start with the reboot! If you have Netflix they have most of the new series.

Or, starting with a new regeneration (new doctor) is also a great starting point.

You'd made a great decision! Welcome to the fun!
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I would for sure say start with season 1 of the new series. Since you like 9, he's only in one season. Then 10 and 11 are essential Doctors to watch :) 11 is my favorite, but a ton of people love 10.

Once you're into it and understand the basics, you can go back and watch earlier Doctors. You don't really have to do them in any sort of order. The 4th Doctor is immensely popular, I really like the 3rd too. Besides, if you watch them out of order, it will be even more wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey!
  • AiryM
    AiryM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!
  • BeyondTrouble
    BeyondTrouble Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Agree, start with the reboot (9th doctor & Rose) and continue from there!
  • uniquesarah
    uniquesarah Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    did anyone seen the christmas day special i really liked it and love the new assistant :)
  • nerdlyness
    nerdlyness Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started with the ninth, which got me hooked. I think it's a good place to start. My brother-in-law is obsessed with Dr. Who and has all 27 seasons on a little blue portable hard drive conveniently named the Tardis. I grabbed them all during Christmas and I am working my way through them. They definitely take some patience and many breaks between episodes. I'm on season 3 now...the first doctor was a real *kitten* lol!
  • mruntidy
    Options
    did anyone seen the christmas day special i really liked it and love the new assistant :)

It was pretty good, I thought it flew by, hardly seemed like an hour at all
  • BeyondTrouble
    BeyondTrouble Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The baked potato made me laugh in the carriage scene!
    "Where is it?"
    "Where's what sir?"
    "I sent you to get the memory worm!"
    "Did you? When? Who's he?! What are we doing here?! Look! It's been snowing!"
  • bobs_god
    bobs_god Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Doctor:Go on say it most people do......
    Clara: Its smaller on the outside

Absolute genuis line. Anyway good choice to start with 9th although I wasn't a big fan of chris it was good to see new eps. I grew up watching old episodes with my uncles (the Baker days particularly) but I always try to convert people with the 10th Doctor as David did an awesome job, he is my doctor without a doubt.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    The baked potato made me laugh in the carriage scene!
    "Where is it?"
    "Where's what sir?"
    "I sent you to get the memory worm!"
    "Did you? When? Who's he?! What are we doing here?! Look! It's been snowing!"

YES!
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    "I think I've been run over by a cab!"
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Dr Who trivia (ish) the 7th Doctor - also one of my faves played Radagast in The Hobbit
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    Dr Who trivia (ish) the 7th Doctor - also one of my faves played Radagast in The Hobbit

and Christopher Eccleston (9th Doctor) will be in Thor 2.
  • mruntidy
    Options

and Christopher Eccleston (9th Doctor) will be in Thor 2.

Who was also very sinister in 28 Days Later
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    and not let us forget that David Tennett (10th Doctor) was in the Fright Night remake!

Doctors for everyone!
  • mruntidy
    Options
    and not let us forget that David Tennett (10th Doctor) was in the Fright Night remake!

Doctors for everyone!

And Harry Potter