Gluten and sinus issues

Options
Anyone else have trouble with gluten and sinus/allergy/congestion issues ?
My allergies and sinus congestion always get worse when I eat wheat gluten, and even other forms of grains. I don't have the usual stomach/digestive issues that would be associated with gluten, but over the last eight years I have had a myriad of problems such as: brain fog, fatigue, joint pain, highly sensitive allergies, no resistance to illness (got sick all the time) these have mostly cleared up with being gluten free for a few weeks. Wondering if anyone else has the same problem ?

Replies

• sandrahulleman
    Options
    Nope. My is strictly digestive, etc. Are you sure you don't have a milk allergy? I've heard a similar story from someone who did.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Yep. I had pretty much every gluten reaction possible to mankind. It was lovely!!!! (<-- enter sarcasm here)

I had the fatigue as well and my allergies just became worse over time.

My sinuses are, for instance, totally clear today. That's a first, but I'll still take my allergy meds while my bod is healing.....

I've had a few "glutening" situations that were setbacks, but for the most part I'm almost 3 months into this and removing gluten was the best thing I ever did for myself.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES! It gives me barometric migraines - absolutely 100% connected!
  • tklaing
    tklaing Posts: 20
    Options
    Nope. My is strictly digestive, etc. Are you sure you don't have a milk allergy? I've heard a similar story from someone who did.

Actually, yes, I do have a problem with dairy (not lactose intolerance) When I have dairy, I feel sick like I have a cold. I have tried going dairy free for a few weeks and while it helped a little, it didn't reduce the other symptoms.
    It wasn't until I cut out gluten that things started clearing up. I had less allergic reactions, less headaches, no more brain fog or fatigue, etc ...
    I am hoping the sinus problems will clear up completely :)
  • tklaing
    Options
    Yep. I had pretty much every gluten reaction possible to mankind. It was lovely!!!! (<-- enter sarcasm here)

I had the fatigue as well and my allergies just became worse over time.

My sinuses are, for instance, totally clear today. That's a first, but I'll still take my allergy meds while my bod is healing.....

I've had a few "glutening" situations that were setbacks, but for the most part I'm almost 3 months into this and removing gluten was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Wow ! So, it took about 3 months for your sinuses to clear up ?
    There is hope after all ?
    That is good to hear, helps to keep me on the right track, good to hear that you are doing better !
  • tklaing
    Options
    YES YES YES! It gives me barometric migraines - absolutely 100% connected!

I have noticed that I always get a headache - the same headache (right side, back of neck and in front behind right eye, with a tight band going across forehead) every time. Every time I eat something with gluten. The same headache. That alone is reason enough to never eat it again.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes, although dairy and corn products are the worst for sinus issues for me. And the combination of cornmeal and wheat - i.e. cornmeal dusted pizza crust is enough to send me into major coughing fits from the instant congestion.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My most noticeable change has been in the joint pain. I have definitely connected body pains with gluten ingestion. I am much more mobile now and feel I am close to being free of joint pain. I haven't really ever had the stomach issues some people have, but the doctors could never figure out what was causing the iron deficiency anemia. When my sis-in-law was diagnosed with celiac as being the cause of anemia, I began to wonder if that could be my problem. I didn't really get serious about gluten free living until an mfp friend posted a topic about how it had helped his joint pain. I got back with the program, fell away for a week during Thanksgiving holidays and realized that I definitely had a gluten intolerance. I've never been diagnosed as Celiac, but I'm just gonna save myself a doctor visit and live gluten free. Some doctors scoff at anything that doesn't show up by the books!
  • jessababy22
    Options
    I've had the same issues with my sinuses related to to gluten!!!! I just explained this to the girls at work and they are trying their own experiments with it.

Such the battle!
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Im hoping gluten free will help my sinuses also. So far the Arthritis in my shoulder almost pain free and I find it easier to keep my weight at maintenance.
  • tklaing
    Options
    Yes, although dairy and corn products are the worst for sinus issues for me. And the combination of cornmeal and wheat - i.e. cornmeal dusted pizza crust is enough to send me into major coughing fits from the instant congestion.

Dairy is definitely a problem, I noticed that over 20 years ago. I try to avoid it as much as possible. (No milk, ice cream, yogurt, etc...) I don't stress about the occasional butter on my potato or something like that, but maybe I should ?
    I have been questioning corn for a few years. It seems like it "heightens" my allergic response, where I feel more sensitive than usual to allergens. I may need to cut that out as well ...
  • tklaing
    Options
    My most noticeable change has been in the joint pain. I have definitely connected body pains with gluten ingestion. I am much more mobile now and feel I am close to being free of joint pain. I haven't really ever had the stomach issues some people have, but the doctors could never figure out what was causing the iron deficiency anemia. When my sis-in-law was diagnosed with celiac as being the cause of anemia, I began to wonder if that could be my problem. I didn't really get serious about gluten free living until an mfp friend posted a topic about how it had helped his joint pain. I got back with the program, fell away for a week during Thanksgiving holidays and realized that I definitely had a gluten intolerance. I've never been diagnosed as Celiac, but I'm just gonna save myself a doctor visit and live gluten free. Some doctors scoff at anything that doesn't show up by the books!

That has been my most noticeable change too ! It goes away pretty fast (in a couple of days after not eating gluten) There is still a little bit lingering, but much better !
  • tklaing
    Options
    I've had the same issues with my sinuses related to to gluten!!!! I just explained this to the girls at work and they are trying their own experiments with it.

Such the battle!

Wow ! I wonder what it means ? Does it mean we have gluten intolerance ? Celiac ? Maybe wheat is bad for everybody ? (I have heard the argument that it is ... e.g. the book "Wheat Belly")
    I guess it doesn't matter, just need to stay away from it !
  • tklaing
    Options
    Im hoping gluten free will help my sinuses also. So far the Arthritis in my shoulder almost pain free and I find it easier to keep my weight at maintenance.

How long have you been gluten free ? It took me about the first 2 weeks to really notice a difference with the sinus problems, and it seems like it is slowly getting better and better. (I have had these problems for about 8 years now, so I guess I shouldn't expect them to go away immediately)
    I had pain in my shoulder/neck area as well. That started to decrease after only about 2-3 days being gluten free. After 21 days (so far) of being gluten free, my shoulder/neck pain has greatly reduced (although it still makes some lovely "clunking" noises when I move my arm around ....)