Where are you running?

Options
Let's start out simple. I guess the title says it all!

I am running in Ohio in May!

Replies

• xbleedingxglitterx
    Options
    Ohio in May! :)
  • toshi89
    toshi89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Can't run this year, but can't wait to run next year in ATL!
  • danibyrne83
    Options
    Boston in October! I did it this past May, too...
  • blueroses1983
    blueroses1983 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you have any tips since you've done this once before?
  • acblueyze
    Options
    I am a Zombie and a Runner in Indiana this June! I was a runner last year and had a fantastic time! Cannot wait for this year!
  • acblueyze
    Options

My tips would focus around cross-training as much as possible! Work on sprints through the hordes of zombies. I alternated between sprinting, jogging, and walking throughout the course. When there aren't zombies we slowed to power walking to conserve our energy for long sprints. The terrain varies based on the course but prepare to sprint through anything and everything. There are huge puddles of mud and water followed by zombies and zombies at the front. I lost my last flag after one of such puddles.

Wear OLD shoes you are okay getting rid of. Project Sole collects the shoes as donations (which I did along with many last year). Have extra clothes and TOWELS. You get completely trashed and don't really get very "rinsed" unless you don't mind freezing cold water to stand under fully clothed. I had a huge beach towel with me that I laid out underneath me in the car. Bring a grocery bag or other plastic bag for anything that is sandy or muddy.

DRESS FUN! I made shirts for myself and a friend and I had a tutu, shorts I made, and a bloody bandage to keep my hair off my face. It made for super fun pictures. Once I was out of flags I took time enjoying the course and taking photos (with my waterproof camera) of friends still running. If you have a Waterproof Camera it is a must. I love having so many pictures from the day and didn't need to buy any from the outrageously expensive photographer.

If you have specific course or prep questions let me know!
  • blueroses1983
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I do have a couple of questions:

Did you have trouble keeping your shoes on? I've read that some people have had theirs sucked off by mud, but other people say that's not true.

Did you wear gloves to help with climbing obstacles and/or would you recommend them?

Is it clear when you're about to run into a zombie area, or do they sometimes come out of nowhere?
  • xViccas27
    Options
    Tennessee in April! I've been so pumped for this for ages!

If it tells you anything about how excited I am, I signed up in October 2012 for this April 2013 race. :blushing:
  • xViccas27
    Options

My tips would focus around cross-training as much as possible! Work on sprints through the hordes of zombies. I alternated between sprinting, jogging, and walking throughout the course. When there aren't zombies we slowed to power walking to conserve our energy for long sprints. The terrain varies based on the course but prepare to sprint through anything and everything. There are huge puddles of mud and water followed by zombies and zombies at the front. I lost my last flag after one of such puddles.

Wear OLD shoes you are okay getting rid of. Project Sole collects the shoes as donations (which I did along with many last year). Have extra clothes and TOWELS. You get completely trashed and don't really get very "rinsed" unless you don't mind freezing cold water to stand under fully clothed. I had a huge beach towel with me that I laid out underneath me in the car. Bring a grocery bag or other plastic bag for anything that is sandy or muddy.

DRESS FUN! I made shirts for myself and a friend and I had a tutu, shorts I made, and a bloody bandage to keep my hair off my face. It made for super fun pictures. Once I was out of flags I took time enjoying the course and taking photos (with my waterproof camera) of friends still running. If you have a Waterproof Camera it is a must. I love having so many pictures from the day and didn't need to buy any from the outrageously expensive photographer.

For the portion I bolded, is there any place to put extra clothing or a way to get back to your car without being told you can't come back?? Cause if I can, I'd much rather take extra clothes....
  • blueroses1983
    Options
    I have read that you can check a bag and retrieve it with your bib number. One person suggested writing your number on your arm in sharpie in case you lose your bib. I have never run this race, so I cant vouch for the veracity of either bit of info.

For the portion I bolded, is there any place to put extra clothing or a way to get back to your car without being told you can't come back?? Cause if I can, I'd much rather take extra clothes....
  • toshi89
    Options
    I'm so happy I get to run!!
  • xViccas27
    Options
    I'm so happy I get to run!!

Where are you racing? What changed with not being able to go?
  • toshi89
    Options
    My husband told me he found out a place in GA that's going to have it & the earlier we register the cheaper it will be, so we are registering super early(the race is in August) so we can do it now. Yay! I'm so happy. Our training started yesterday.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Didn't get to run in Texas like I wanted last December, so I'm either setting my sights on Tennessee in April (I think it was April at least), or GA in the latter part of the year.. September maybe?
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Didn't get to run in Texas like I wanted last December, so I'm either setting my sights on Tennessee in April (I think it was April at least), or GA in the latter part of the year.. September maybe?

Tennessee's April event was moved to November. :(