So what are you actually doing to get healthy?

Options
demilade
demilade Posts: 402 Member
Like the title asks, what are you actively doing to get healthy and loose your weight? Are you just tracking your calories? Are you making the healthy choice? Are you exercising?

For me, I track my calories daily and where I can I make the healthy choice. After all, if your on 1200 calories a day it doesn't matter if it's 1200 calories of chocolate or 1200 of celery, you still loose weight, but is not healthy. I try to have protein every meal and low carb. I try to avoid takeaway and sugar, but if I do want it I fit it into my calories.

Exercise I do 30 day shred each day plus a 30 min walk.

Replies

• rethadiet
    rethadiet Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am tracking calories and amount of water I drink.
    I have recently begun exercising. I walk the dogs. We began with 10 minute walk of 700 meters. My idea is to increase it until we walk 30 minutes.
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am tracking calories. I have committed to 3500 calories burned each week. To do that, I work to average an hour a day at the Y. I use the elliptical or swim. I also take yoga classes as well as water aerobics classes. My biggest challenges I am working on daily are breakfast and water. I don't always make the best food choices, but I feel I am steadily making better food choices, and this will continue to improve with time.

I know I need to start working with weights, but I don't enjoy that part and I am struggling to get over that. I think I am more uncomfortable in the weight room because, in general, the people there are already in shape and I am obviously not in shape, so I am extremely self conscious about it. Of course I was about using the regular equipment and I got over that, so it will improve with time, I just need to do it.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've replaced Pepsi (Lots of it!) with water. (I am drinking one can a day this week to get my body acciimated to the caffiene reduction.)

I walk (usually 2 miles) at least 4 days a week.

Logging my foods. I'm doing my best to measure everything, but I'm not being obsessive about it. Yesterday was the first day I came close to using my calories.

I'm getting ready to add Zumba. (At my office!)
  • Bechard05
    Bechard05 Posts: 231
    Options
    I quit drinking anything carbonated. I drink atleast 3 liters of water a day. I watch portions and count calories. I log my food good or bad. I do my best to make healthier choices without depriving myself moderation in all things. I am working on moving more. I have started with a goal of 30 min atleast 3 days a week and will work up from there.
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Mainly watching portion sizes, tracking and counting calories.

I am also cutting out all "desserts" (Candy, cookies, cake, etc) for this year (except for one on my b-day). I know moderation is key but right now with that stuff I just can't moderate. It is tough but doable (at least for awhile) because I did the same thing last Oct for the whole month. So we'll see how that goes.

I really don't like exercising but I am going to try to walk at least 3x per week on the treadmill to start out with also.
  • gdneff
    gdneff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am actually doing a little of all of this. Watching calories, portion sizes, avoiding snacks, limiting sodas, drinking more water. Guess we will see how the first week goes tomorrow at weigh-in.
  • TisMissyKIA
    TisMissyKIA Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Forcing myself to eat breakfast, taking multivitamins because I know that if I don't, the anemia sets in and then everything goes to hell in a hand-basket, planning well in advance for meals so that (a) when I go grocery shopping I'm not starving and buying crap and (b) I'm not throwing together a meal that has absolutely no nutritional value. And learning to get back in the saddle again with exercise. I tend to put it off and then it gets so pickin' late that I'm either too tired or don't want an audience/to disturb anyone. I must say that out of everything, the exercise is the absolute hardest.
  • zoraiya
    zoraiya Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Drinking nothing but water, cutting out soda and fast food -- I also track everything now, and over the past month I have never been over my calorie goal (and I eat healthier and try to hit my macros). The biggest thing, though, is getting off my butt! It has been hard, but I am now trying to work out 5-6 days a week. In that regard, I really have to push myself to do it. Most days, I don't want to, but I know the end result will be worth it.
  • tinatatertoes
    tinatatertoes Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of meal planning. That's really important for me and my organizing little heart :p

I'm trying to make better food choices, eat more naturally, and encourage my family to do the same. Having better luck with myself than with the family, but I'll take what I can get. Today, my pre-teen noticed that since she's been eating healthier, her pimples have cleared up. Since that realization, she's not quite on board the healthy bandwagon, but she's no longer actively fighting against it.

For the time being, I have cut out fast foods (my downfall). I have cut down on diet soda from about a 6-10 cans per day to just one or two. I've also cut back on sweets majorly. We are having "Sweets Sunday" where I will make a dessert with the family and budget it into my meal plan. But it's usually some sort of healthy sweet, such as chocolate covered strawberries or something like that.

I'm also committing to 30 minutes cardiovascular exercise 5 days per week and doing something active with my family on the weekend. Right now, my workouts usually consist of huffing and puffing on the treadmill, sweating like a pig, at an extremely slow pace, but I hope to do more once the weight starts to come off ;)
  • Algerina9601
    Algerina9601 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well small miracles here. I have actually drank ALL of my water ALL week, I thought it couldn't be done :)
  • Algerina9601
    Algerina9601 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey Tinatatertoes

I too am a sweet stuff junkie and looking for alternatives. One that I saw was a wonton wrapper with a spoonful of nutella and a piece of banana then wrapped up and baked in the oven! SLURP! I haven't tried it yet, but I am going to once I do the next grocery haul.
  • tumblindice
    tumblindice Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Walking a bit more (slowly at first)...and drinking a ton of water!
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    1. Making healthier choices, calorie wise and more "real food"
    2. I have started working out at least 5 times a week, be it the gym or playing Just Dance on the Wii with my daughter
    3. I have been drinking much more water
    4. I have been loving myself more and trying not to always put my needs last
  • tinatatertoes
    tinatatertoes Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hey Tinatatertoes

I too am a sweet stuff junkie and looking for alternatives. One that I saw was a wonton wrapper with a spoonful of nutella and a piece of banana then wrapped up and baked in the oven! SLURP! I haven't tried it yet, but I am going to once I do the next grocery haul.

That sounds yummy. I love nutella! I will have to try it!
  • watchthis1970
    watchthis1970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started MFP, I have tracked everything I have eaten since I started on here. Tomorrow it will be two weeks without a single Diet Pepsi. I always drank lots of water before, now I drink even more. I have focused on having a fruit or vegetbale with every snack and meal. I have even gotten my hubby tracking calories on MFP and he has been to the YMCA with me four times this week.

We always ate fairly healthy before, little to no fast foods, We are now really watching our portion control!! I measured BBQ sauce last night!! I also have measured Chocolate Syrup to use with my Milk. Needed to use some calories and trying to get my dairy in.
  • mirandaeaston
    Options
    I switched to Paleo diet and drinking green tea have had some dairy but I am getting that gone this week . Join this site and got a fitbit to track my caliories in and out better. Hope it pays off with less junk in the trunk definatly no more junk in my kitchen.
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm eating less, moving more. Got back on my meds for thyroid & pcos. Cutting out sodas, fast food, etc. Tracking calories, tracking exercise. Eating more fruits, veggies and whole grains. More water. That's about it so far.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    This week I want to mix it up so I have a 7 day free trial at a local gym and I'm going to try different classes.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am starting to work out more and finding new (healthier) things to eat. I track the calories that I take in.
  • Sweetpickles99
    Options
    I am eating more whole grains and trying to limit my sodium and carbs. Moving more and staying positive.:happy: