Menstrual issues and weight?

Options
I'm just wondering if any of you lovely ladies have had issues with your menstrual cycle as you gained weight? Mine started being wonky about a year after I had my son.. I just didn't get it, and around that time I also started gaining weight.. so I'm not sure if me missing it had anything to do with my weight gain. I've been to the dr over and over again and they can't find a single thing wrong. They just give me hormones to induce it.. then I have it once and it goes away again :grumble: I'm hoping that losing weight will help this issue. Any insight?

Replies

• beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have had a host of issues, which may or may not be related to my weight. I had an ablation about a year and a half ago, trying to get in front of the problem. Now that I am getting healthier, my issues are increasing again. I hope your issues resolve soon.
  • HappyNewSarah
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight this last year and when I got over like 240 I started having really bad issues with clotting, heavy flow, major cramping, irregular times, etc. I think each has something to do with another. I had some issues before my weight gain but nothing to this extreme. I'm a rebounder, so when I lost weight previously, I found my period leveled out and my cramps subsided substantially. I'm hoping losing the weight and exercising will help.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Yes. The heavier I got, the more irregular my cycles became. For me, it had to do with the PCO. (Polycystic Ovaries)

I was having regular cycles (well, for me regular is 3-7 weeks apart) until June of last year. I had very faint spotting in August, but nothing since. I don't know if I am starting menopause (I'm only 43) or if my weight is impacting it.
  • Bechard05
    Bechard05 Posts: 231
    Options
    as I got larger mine stopped then when I lost 140 + lbs it came back and has been regular ever since even after having gained most of it back it is still regular
  • jdawn120191
    Options
    as I got larger mine stopped then when I lost 140 + lbs it came back and has been regular ever since even after having gained most of it back it is still regular

I really really realllllly hope mine comes back as I lose weight.. Even though it sucks to have it, it makes me feel normal, haha
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 992 Member
    Options

I really really realllllly hope mine comes back as I lose weight.. Even though it sucks to have it, it makes me feel normal, haha

I really, really, realllly wish mine would go away all together! LOL
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, so I've been dealing with that for... ever lol. Hoping to deal with that the more my weight goes down. :)
  • mairinosteen
    mairinosteen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, so menstrual cycle issues are actually one of my motivations in loosing weight since the doctor said that loosing weight would help with symptoms.
  • jdawn120191
    Options
    Update:
    I woke up this morning spotting o_o
  • FeliciaGM
    FeliciaGM Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS! I have had irregular periods for as long as I have had a one. It took me over 2 years to get pregnant. I lost about 40 lbs and finally got pregnant with my son. Of course I gained it back though:(
    I Have a related question, do you gain weight while on your period?
  • jdawn120191
    Options
    I also have PCOS! I have had irregular periods for as long as I have had a one. It took me over 2 years to get pregnant. I lost about 40 lbs and finally got pregnant with my son. Of course I gained it back though:(
    I Have a related question, do you gain weight while on your period?

I gain weight when I'm on my period due to bloating and not eating correctly. I get major cravings v.v
  • tinatatertoes
    tinatatertoes Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes. The heavier I got, the more irregular my cycles became. For me, it had to do with the PCO. (Polycystic Ovaries)

Me too! For me, I think around 220 was when they started becoming really irregular. They stopped altogether around 270. But they were always kinda irregular because of my PCOS.
  • jdawn120191
    Options
    I don't think I've been tested for PCOS...is there a test for that?
    and my spotting turned to an actual period.. for the first time in 10 months.. o_o
    I knew diet and exercise would help.. but geesh xD
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Ultrasound. PCO is polycycstic ovaries. Basically, a bunch (poly) of cysts on your ovaries. The cysts are not dangerous. They are the eggs that are developed, but not released month after month. They calsify in a clump. I don't have any links handy, but google PCO or PCOS symptoms and you'll get a better idea.
  • jdawn120191
    Options
    I have had cysts in the past, and ultrasounds done.. but I don't think is PCOS, after reading the symptoms and such. I think my issues have more to do with my weight.. hypothyroidism runs in my family so it may be that too..
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i have had issues with my menses since it started, so i don't know that my weight had anything to do with the issues. after 13 years of going back and forth with doctors trying to figure out what was wrong with me (and being told that NOTHING was wrong with me), i found a doctor that wanted to really poke around. all the ultrasounds i've had in the past apparently didn't show how thick my endometrial lining was and this last sonogram showed it was REALLY thick. after a biopsy came back negative, i had endometrial ablation last week. i'm hoping it solves the menstrual/uterine issues i've had.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that when you're overweight your body produces more hormones, which will effect everyone differently.
  • cielbee
    cielbee Posts: 62
    Options
    Most definitely yes. I had irregular periods for a while. Then, I had a point in time about 20 years ago when my period wouldn't stop. I went on birth control and that regulated it. After, my period progressively became heavier and heavier. That, plus I had tons of polyps, warranted an ablation a few years ago. I was chronically iron deficient even when I was taking iron supplements twice daily. My period is still heavy (some people stop having their period when they have an ablation), but not nearly so traumatic as before. I'm hoping with weight loss it will lesson somewhat.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I managed to get pregnant somehow but I haven't had a period in about 6 years.
  • jdawn120191
    Options
    I managed to get pregnant somehow but I haven't had a period in about 6 years.

my boyfriends mother is like that also. she said she hasn't had a regular period in her life, and she managed to have 2 kids..