Injectable methotrexate

Options
My rheumy just prescribed this for me, I'm not really nervous about doing it, I was just wondering if anybody has tried it, or has used it, is using it now? Any changes? Orally, I'm taking 10 tablets of metho once a week, but my rheumy thinks it'll be better for me to try the injectable kind, she says that when people switch they feel a definite difference between taking it orally as opposed to injecting it. Of course the oral route will stop, and will resume the injectable route soon.

I'll be scheduling a nurse visit so that she can show me how to administer it to myself, so not a problem there.

Replies

• LovesAngels
    LovesAngels Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had the injectable methotrexate! It caused a bit of nausea but that's it! Best wishes for it working for you! I'm on Enbrel injections now and I am not doing well on that at all, it's just not strong enough!
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response! Apparently the oral route isn't getting that absorbed as it should, so hopefully by injecting it, I'll get the full effect of it. She told me that the dosage should be similar to about 8 tablets a week, and I guess we'll see where I go from there.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    not sure here...going to pick up my tablets today...they gave me the option to do the injections but I thought I might try the pills first. It was so dang hard to find the pills! My Dr had to call around the pharmacies for it.
  • lratliff
    lratliff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I switched to injections instead of tablets about 6 months ago because mine wasn't absorbing in the slightest. Now it's still not showing in my blood as much as I take, but it's significantly more effective than the pill, for me at least. Best wishes. It takes a little while to get over the shock of injecting yourself, but if you've used biologics, it's probably old hat for you. I happen to have the handy little trick that my C-sections caused a little nerve damage on my lower abdomen, so that's the perfect place for injections since it's permanently a little numb ;o)
  • JuliWels
    JuliWels Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I took methotrexate injections and was so nervous about starting it also. I did have nausea and some tummy upset, but I've been told those problems are less on the injectable than the tablets, so it might actually get better if you are having any of the tummy related side effects. I have been on biologics for years, so I didn't have a problem with the injections, although it is a bit different from the sure-click pens. I did get used to it pretty quickly. I have recently changed to a new medication regimen (was nervous to start that too). It is very helpful for many people. I hope it will help you. Good luck!
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!! My current dosage of metho is 10 tablets. My rheumatologist thinks that they aren't getting absorbed like they should.

I have a nurse visit scheduled soon, I've already picked up the injectable metho, along with the syringes, the dosage is comparable to 8 tablets of metho. Here's hoping it works!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    They're easy to do - you have to vary the injection site or it can cause thickening and irritation of the skin over time. I alternate tummy (avoid stretch marks), hip and thigh. It's still causing some nausea, so my dose isn't being increased yet, but it has halved my inflammation markers.

The actual injecting is easy - just tap it in and you don't even feel it.

Much better than the usual vomiting from tablet medications, so I'm going to stick it out for a bit longer to see if it settles.
  • ThereOnceWasAUnionMaid
    Options
    I'm on injectable metho and it seems to be working pretty well for me. I was never on the pills, I just started straight off with the injections. I got some nausea when I started, but it's almost completely gone now. My biggest issue is that I've been giving myself bruises lately when I inject and so my right upper thigh is all spotted purple. You can do it, you'll be fine!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I take 1.5 cc (about 37.5 mg) of methotrexate weekly with Simponi injections once a month. I switched to injections about 10 years ago because the pills were making me very sick. I still get nauseous with the injection, so I always have some ginger ale to sip on. I give the shots to myself in the stomach with insulin needles. It still leaves a bit of a bruise (thanks prednisone), but it is much less painful than other areas.