mary659497
mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
Has anyone had success dating online?

Replies

• BLady44
    BLady44 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I did meet someone and had a relationship that lasted a couple of years, that was about 6 years ago.. I haven't dated much the last few years.. I am on an online dating site but am finding it difficult.. I think in part because I have some weight to lose so not feeling the greatest about my self.. some sites are better than others.. free sites tend to attract everyone.. esp pp looking for casual encounters. at least that was my experience.. good luck..
  • kellieanney
    kellieanney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I haven't had success in finding a good man online, but my friend from church is going to put together a singles group, so maybe I'll meet a good Christian man. :) Kellie
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I've met some great men through online dating, just not the one. I have a few friends that have gotten married as a result of online dating as well. Some that I would never have expected to be online. :)
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy for 3 years that I met online. It didn't work out but when the time is right for me to try dating again, I wouldn't hesitate to create an online dating profile.
  • pinkprincess205
    Options
    I met my ex hubby on line, was with him 5 yrs, met alt of other people too. My mum met her hubby online, they are still together n its been over 5 yrs. my friend met her bf onlne too, so yeah there are alot of gd sites to find a partner x
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    like the sories. thanks
  • tisonc
    tisonc Posts: 58
    Options
    I have tried several of them myself Plentyoffish, Match, Okcupid and it seems that MEN have the same issues well maybe not exactly the same but BELIEVE me there are some Strange women out there. So I dont get beat up on that comment let me explain: The women I have met and maybe this is a geographic issue all want the same thing (this is NO lie) after say 1 or 2 dates its straight into commitment mode. I mean no courtship no lets take time to get to know one another its straight into "I cant wait to marry you".. GAH!!! Call me old fashioned but I would really like to meet someone that I can take my time to get to know and COURT. I dont want to JUMP into a Committed relationship unless I am ABSOLUTELY sure this is someone I want to ALWAYS be with.

My very first date turned out to be a STALKER!! yes no LIE here she freaking stalked me and I had to get mean (verbally on the phone) with her. I have 2 precious kids and Well no one is going to make me or them feel uncomfortable in my own place..

So I have just given up entirely on those dating sites... I believe if someone is meant to be with me and finally fall head over heels for me as I would them then it will just happen...
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    Ive had some pretty scary and irritating dates from online sites. I had met my last BF online in a chatroom and we hit it off okay in the beginning. I wasted almost 9 years and finally left him.

Since then Ive had guys that would not stop groping me, even had one that grabbed me for a kiss without my consent. I glared at him and stormed out of the place.

But i guess the worst one was i met a guy at a local bar/eatery/bowling alley. It was supposed to just be drinks. He then tells me he hadnt eaten so i sat there and watched him eat a whole basket of chicken wings and hear him complain about his ex-wife. I couldnt stand much more so I thanked him for the beer, told him I wasnt feeling well and left.

I still have my profiles up but it seems that all I attract are guys that I have NO attraction to whatsoever!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have met and dated a couple guys from dating sites, but found they had more issues than cosmo magazine. I am not ready to JUMP into anything head first. I want to be courted, call me old fashioned but I guess I am. I want to get to know someone's mind, heart and soul, before anything can move forward.

My biggest pet peeve, is how men I have encountered find it acceptable to say some vile things to a woman and think it is acceptable. Example, a guy said he would love to take me to dinner, but only if I gave him a happy ending at the end of the night. SMH - really? Men asking about the size of my rack, shaving habits, really? If I have not even met you, what makes you think you are entitled to that information????

I have taken myself off those dating sites. Maybe one day I will find a guy who knows how to treat a woman like she deserves to be treated, because he would be treated like a king for treating me right.
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    been talking to someone for three months. he lives on the west coast, me on the east. nice guy. will see what happens. i dont put much into it because of the distance but its nice to have a friend. will see what transpires. meeting after the holidays so will find out if its worth pursuing. haha long distance dating works for me. we are both so busy in our lives, and i really like having the blankets to myself still lol.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've had some great dates, met some interesting people...honestly, people are people. You can meet good or bad people in person, online, thru friends...so I would ignore the stigma some people have for it and just treat it as another means to meet people. Just read up on "online dating tips" because there may be some things you may not think of in regards to safety. Do EVERYONE a favor and post plenty of RECENT photos. Post both headshots and full body shots. Get some of you doing the activities/hobbies you enjoy. Also, be honest, the truth comes out anyhow. Those people that get creative with the photography will usually be disappointed. I can’t count the times I met up with someone that was creative with the photos to find out that they lied about their “average” body type and were clinically obese. Being misleading with the photos that a person posts on their profile is just a form of lying in my opinion. Usually the first thing I think if they got all creative hiding their body type with the photos they posted is, “what else are the hiding or misleading me about”?

I feel you just need to be up front and honest because that way the people that are interested in you, are likely interested in the “real” you and won’t be getting disappointed when things don’t match up as well in reality as they did on the profile. I would rather understate myself on my profile and leave some “wow” factor when we meet up.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    No. I've gone out with maybe 9 or 10 guys from online dating, had some decent first dates, had some bad first dates, but nothing worked out. Maybe it's my age, but it's reeeaaaallly hard to find a guy in his 20s or early 30s with a decent job, doesn't live with his parents, some similar interests, comparable intelligence to my own, semi-decent dressing and grooming habits, and compatible religious and political views. So when I actually do find one of those, he then also has to be interested in me. The odds are not in my favor.

*Edited to say 20s or early 30s instead of just 20s.
  • Moofey2
    Moofey2 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    All of my friends and I have, Dated one for two years and am trying again!
  • Joethebull
    Options
    nope got rejected by eharmony about three time I answered honestly on the test. I have tried a lot of other sites and still absolutely no luck.
  • NikLeighB
    NikLeighB Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think that online dating is no different than meeting someone through friends or at a grocery store or a bar. You really don't know a person until.. well.. you know them. Someone can be a GREAT friend to someone but lousy in a relationship. I met my first husband through friends and they were all shocked after he became very very very physically and mentally abusive. Not only did I lose my self respect but some friendships as well. Well, I chose to separate myself from those friendships because I just felt safer knowing that I didn't have ANY connection to him what so ever. So I feel better about online dating than meeting through friends. I have made a couple good friends from online dating sites, and had a couple dates that went really well but I didn't take it further. I am not looking for a relationship though, just people to hang out with so I make it clear that I am willing to go hang out or out on a date but not build a relationship. Have to watch out for the ones that take that as friends with benefits or one night stands. I find honesty works best and I make it clear that I am not offering either of those and it has worked for me. I have not met any creepers in person from any of those sites. I am picky about who I meet though, as should anyone be. Don't give out your address, meet in public places and if you are building a relationship.. I would wait at least a month of dating before they see where you live. That to me though is if I meet someone anywhere. Anyone can be a stalker, doesn't have to be from the internet. Really know someone before you give them a perfect way to get to you.
  • Chelsrf
    Chelsrf Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Have never tried them, just heard the horror stories. I am thinking about it so reading this thread is interesting.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    A couple of times and it's always been....not great.

I may try EHarmony now though if for nothing else than practice. I don't want to forget how to be on a date.
  • foundmeagain78
    foundmeagain78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I met my ex-husband online 15 years ago. We were married for 11. The majority of our marriage was great and just like with anything, life changes people. I don't regret it one bit as I have my two children because of it. I have met a few others & had relationships. I have no real horror stories to tell. The men I met were nice & I still talk to them now and then. They weren't bad people, just not the right ones.

I think the trick is to be open and honest about yourself and you'll attract the ones that are too.

I just recently signed up again & am talking to what I think is a very nice man so far. We even know some mutual friends in the real world. We haven't met yet but I am just enjoying the conversation and getting to know one another.
  • CoachJoeLuna
    CoachJoeLuna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think sites like these or social media sites (facebook , instagram etc..) work better than dating sites. Me and my ex met through friends on myspace (yeah I know myspace) and we ended up dating for 5 years. I've never liked the set up of dating specific sites because its too much of a meat market. Find a site of something you like and make friends. myFitnesspal is great for that because you'll run into many like minded individuals.

The key to me is making friendships first, that can lead to much more whether is be romantic or not.

-Joe
    www/about.me/joeluna123
  • teamdj1
    teamdj1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    What he said ^^ I will meet miss right when i least expect it. Not when I'm looking for her. Fingers are crossed. :flowerforyou: