VSG post op and insomnia/restless sleep

Options
Hi VSG friends,
Has anyone had post-op sleeping problems? I have done really well until this past week. I can fall asleep ok but am awake all through the night and tossing and turning and can't get comfortable. In 8 hours, maybe get 3-4 hours of sleep and it's not the most resting. I was thinking it was just anxiety about going back to work and the change in routine again, but I don't think that's all of it. Wondering if this is just a stage in the healing process.
Thoughts and comments welcomed!

Replies

• JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a sleep study done?
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Since my surgery 11/5/12 I have slept the best I have slept in years!! I was on the cpap machine for sleep apnea, haven't used it since surgery and I sleep so much better...before I was only getting maybe 2 to 3 hours max per night, now I sleep til at least 4 or 5...which is Great! You may want to talk to your doctor about it.
  • clblew
    clblew Posts: 30
    Options
    Have you ever had a sleep study done?

Yes, I have been on a CPAP since 2006. My surgeon told me to wait a month after surgery then contact my sleep doc as I lost quite a bit of weight pre-surgery and probably need to have my machine turned down to start with and then in a few months I could possibly be off it all together. I have read that if your CPAP is set too high it can have a negative effect on your sleep. This could be part of it. I guess.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Yes I have had the issue too. But in all honesty I have 3 possible reasons for this:
    1. - My surgeon actually told me that insomnia is common after bariatric surgery. I don't have it often enough or consistently enough to really call it insomnia.
    2. - I have arthritis in my lower spine, hips, knees and feet, so a lot of the time when I'm up like that, it's pain that woke me up and I'm uncomfortable enough in bed that getting up is the only option.
    3. - I'm 56 and post menopausal. Trouble sleeping and insomnia is also common for post menopausal women.