Portion Control

Options
I have a really hard time managing what I eat. I love food and love to get seconds and thirds, and I know that if I want to lose weight, I have to learn how to manage my food. But portion control is so... hard. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks!

Replies

• Applegondi69
    Applegondi69 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Start off with measuring tools until you can get the hang of it. Also, you might want to eat filling foods so your not tempted to eat seconds. :smile:
  • nurselroy
    nurselroy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely measure everything out. I really got started in July 2012 and still measure nearly everything if possible. It is really hard in the begining, but it gets easier...it really does. The first couple weeks were the hardest for me, but now its more of a habit. Just take it one hour, one day, one week at a time and stay determined and you'll get where you want to be.
  • 19laurad83
    19laurad83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use scales or measuring cups to find a portion size. Most food labels tell you what size a portion should be. Hope this is helpful x
  • Jayejay3
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try measuring my food out today... wish me luck!
  • candy423
    candy423 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started eating my food on a saucer and ate slower. This I didnt feel like I had to fill my plate up because I had room.
  • Terkerah
    Terkerah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the ladies have said! It will make a big difference. It's hard for me, and a lot of work, but I'm starting back, and it really has made all the difference. :smile:
  • Strawberryswing33
    Options
    I also measure my food and look at serving sizes. I pace while I eat sometimes too, as it's the little bits of activity that make a difference. Also, drinking tons of water with your food is good too as it makes you feel fuller faster.
  • Lovelygirl1975
    Lovelygirl1975 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said here. Initially it was hard but now it has been such a habit that I look for measuring cups at other people's houses too. :) I say not only look at serving size info and use measuring cups/spoons. Also, get a food scale. A digital one is my suggestion. I weigh everything, even ice cream! Sometimes you get a bigger serving when you weigh your food.
  • Jayejay3
    Options
    I have another question... this may sound dumb, but how do I know the serving size for homemade stuff? Like macaroni and cheese?
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have another question... this may sound dumb, but how do I know the serving size for homemade stuff? Like macaroni and cheese?

It should say on the box what a serving size of cooked and uncooked. With just the reg dry pasta you have to weigh then cook ad figure out what it looks like/weighs when cooked. You will get the hang of it!
  • Lovelygirl1975
    Lovelygirl1975 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If I make it, then I just put in the recipe and measure out my own servings. For example when I make soups and stews I measure it out in 1 cup servings and put them into the recipe and track it that way. With stuff like mac and cheese I do the same thing and just cut in to how every many servings I want it to be and track it from there.